Anyone familiar with Armadillo trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2020, 09:57 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Anyone familiar with Armadillo trailers?

We recently learned about Armadillo trailers, made in Enderby, British Columbia, as a possible replacement for our 13-foot Scamp that was rear-ended and destroyed last fall. They market themselves as a modern Boler, and their business operation looks a lot like Scamp's, except much smaller. I'd be pleased to hear anything good, bad, or indifferent about the company and their products. Fingers crossed to get back in the slow lane
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler
I really like their new Backpack model and haven't heard anything but good reviews on them. If I was buying a new trailer that would probably be #1 on my list.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #3

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
We recently learned about Armadillo trailers, made in Enderby, British Columbia, as a possible replacement for our 13-foot Scamp that was rear-ended and destroyed last fall. They market themselves as a modern Boler, and their business operation looks a lot like Scamp's, except much smaller. I'd be pleased to hear anything good, bad, or indifferent about the company and their products. Fingers crossed to get back in the slow lane
Really, very little bad to say about them. Except for maybe the price. Very well built, beautiful looking. Lots of options.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #4

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
I have seen them and been in one. The are well built but pricey. I found them very dark inside as they do not have a lot of windows. I loved some of the creative ideas for storage including the under trailer storage.

They were at the Boler 50th in Winnipeg, and they one of the first ones came and camped at out Boler gathering on Vancouver Island. Have not met an unhappy owner.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: '73 Trillium
British Columbia
Armadillo

I have visited their facility a few times and am very impressed with the their quality control and options.

One of my neighbours has a "full meal deal" version that always looks better the closer I get. Going back to my old Trillium is anticlimactic... Then I remember that I paid less than a 10th of its price and smile!
George in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
I loved some of the creative ideas for storage including the under trailer storage.
The under trailer storage worries me. Seems to me it would fill with dust / dirt and is vulnerable to damage from road sharks and general bumps in the road would take a toll on the tracks.

I guess if you never leave pavement...
Thinking about cleaning it of cattle splat ...
Old 02-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft

I guess if you never leave pavement...
Thinking about cleaning it of cattle splat ...[/QUOTE]

" Cattle splat ? ? LOL Road apples ? Cow pies ?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #8

" Cattle splat ? ? LOL Road apples ? Cow pies ?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Turns to concrete in no time. That's why it was used with straw and mud to build houses. Bad enough cleaning it out of the wheel wells.
Attached Thumbnails
Cattle road.jpg  
Old 02-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Isn’t the under-cabin storage drawer an option? Skip it if you think it might cause problems for you.

I have always agreed about the lack of windows. The new Backpack model addresses that.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Isn’t the under-cabin storage drawer an option? Skip it if you think it might cause problems for you.

Not going to cause me problems. I have a 17B Escape.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #11

Thanks for this feedback -- please keep it coming! Yes, the porthole windows didn't impress us, given how much we appreciated light in the Scamp when we were holed up on a rainy day. But the new Backpack seems to fix that issue with larger, more-Scamp like windows. Personally, I'd skip the under-carriage storage for reasons pointed out here AND because in my years of Scamping, I never had a real need for that sort of space. Still, though, it is an innovative option for those who could use it, and I appreciate that in a company. I was always amazed that of the thousands of trailers Scamp must have made, they couldn't have created a water reservoir that was shaped like the rounded corner it had to sit in. But we sure loved the life that little fiberglass egg allowed us!
Old 02-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #12

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I talked to the makers yesterday at an RV show the Backpack unit was there and looks great, the rails for that storage under there seem to be heavy duty and the bumper locks it into place. I don't think the price is out of line at 27000,00 CAN. after looking at everything else at the show.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Saw a few on display at the Boler 50th anniversary rally and was quite impressed. Seemed to be well built and I like that storage drawer underneath.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Layton 22 ft / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
Lets try this again (4th time)
I've heard rumours that they are part of the old 'Bigfoot' crew. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yippee! 4th time lucky!
Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #15

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman View Post
I've heard rumours that they are part of the old 'Bigfoot' crew. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yippee! 4th time lucky!

That is true from talking with them.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman View Post

Yippee! 4th time lucky!
Could well be true. I don't know much (if anything) about Big Foots (Big Feet?). Armadillo's promo video makes numerous specific references to Bolers and the new company's effort to improve/upgrade that model. I DO wish they offered an onboard grey water tank, but thanks to the many helpful posts on this site, I don't think Armadillo's failure to offer that will be a deal breaker for me.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #17

Just found this re: Big Foot: https://suncruisermedia.com/Home/rv-...mproved-boler/
Old 02-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #18

Name: dust in
Trailer: Boler Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
Perfect little Egg.....well made and sophisticated
dust-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #19

Name: dust in
Trailer: Boler Trailer
British Columbia
oops made a mistake ......the Armadillo is a beautiful little egg, well made, lots of great ideas and are approachable when it comes to customizing for the client if its doable. Great bunch of guys. I would buy one if my 72 Boler was not so enjoyable and vintage .
dust-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #20

Name: Ervin
Trailer: Moby 1 Teardrop
Oregon
Had the pleasure of doing a roadie up to Enderby last October. Saw both the 14 ft Backpack and the original 13.5 Armadillo. Owners, who are brothers, are past employees of Bigfoot, and their father worked in the industry for over 45 years, they grew up in RV manufacturing. Super creative, an earlier post stated there was no grey water tank, yet there was an earlier thread (search Armadillo on this site) where a poster had ordered the 13.5 footer with a grey. Owners stated they could do basically anything you would want and I believe them.

I plan on ordering the Backpack. I saw the storage drawer and it is pretty far off the ground and it seems to have plenty of clearance, especially compared to the Scamp, heck it seems to me the Scamp rides on the ground. Yet my current off road teardrop has 23 inches of clearance
I like that the axle is rated at 3500 lbs vs 2200 for the Scamp. The interiors are superb with lots of choices. A little spendy, but so what. And they ask for 75% down. Hopes this helps.
Ervin in Portland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armadillo