Anything to watch out for in 1990 13' Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: In the market
VA
Anything to watch out for in 1990 13' Scamp?

Hello! I'm looking at a 1990 13' Scamp with no bathroom on Tuesday. Are there any defects or issues known for this year of manufacture? The owner took out the sink, so there is no plumbing inside. As long as she has had it, there have been no water intrusion or leaks. The fridge is original in working condition, but I may put in a new one.

I'm mostly concerned with mold and mildew as I have been made ill from mold exposure. There is a stain in the "rat fur," but it is at the bottom, not the top, and the owner says it was already there when she bought it in 2012. The roof has a ventilation port and a Maxx fan; A/C was installed in the side by the owner.

HeatherD42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Check the floor very carefully. Feel for any sponginess in the center walking area, and look and probe inside all the perimeter cabinets and benches, especially around the water tank in the rear corner. Look underneath as well, but most rot starts from the top.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Thirty years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherD42 View Post
Hello! I'm looking at a 1990 13' Scamp with no bathroom on Tuesday. Are there any defects or issues known for this year of manufacture? The owner took out the sink, so there is no plumbing inside. As long as she has had it, there have been no water intrusion or leaks. The fridge is original in working condition, but I may put in a new one.

At thirty years old the axle may be sagging, I like to see most or all of the wheel (not tire) in the opening. An old axle is not unsafe but it will give the RV a bouncy ride. Also check the frame for heavy rust and cracks. The frame will have some rust but heavy pitting and crust is not good. Also check the tire date codes and replace before any long trips if they are old. I change every fire years on quality tires.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Wheel bearings:
Have the wheel bearings inspected and repacked or just replaced before towing more than a few miles. If the wheel bearings have been serviced within the past 10,000 miles, or within the past year or two they should be OK. Also strongly recommend touching the wheel hubs every 100 miles or so or every stop. The hubs may be warm, but shouldn't be hot. If they are hot, get them (EDIT: the wheel bearings) serviced immediately.

Leaks:
Yes you can expect leaks around window, roof vents, door and the numerous other fittings on the exterior. There are many threads in this forum on how to fix the leaks.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #5

VA
Thanks for all the tips! I keep trying to post pictures, but it doesn't work, or the mods don't let me?

Where the stain is in the rat fur, I do see some rusting of an exposed piece of metal, so there must have been a spill or something. It is on the bunk bed side, back corner, opposite side of door

There is a little rust around interior bolts, is this expected because of condensation?

The floor seems solid. The wood underside does not seem to be encased in resin, there is just some kind of paint flaking off?

There is some fiberglass on the underside that is broken/rotted, with a few old wasp nests nearby. The compromised area is a vertical section behind the back wheel (on the door side), about a playing card size
Old 05-25-2021, 08:20 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
How is the door fit and seal? Does it hand straight in the opening? Any big gaps at the top or bottom?
Old 05-26-2021, 06:15 AM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for all the tips! I keep trying to post pictures, but it doesn't work, or the mods don't let me?
Heather there’s a problem with your image host. I’m not sure what it is, but if you’ll upload your pics to our site, they will post - eventually - after going through the moderation queue (wch just means the site team will look at and approve, for now, until you’ve had a little more experience with posting).

More info on posting pics can be found in our Forums 101 thread.

And Posting Photos is a popular topic.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:04 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... A/C was installed in the side by the owner.
This might concern me. Is it structurally sound? Is it ventilated properly? Is there a good condensate drain?

The cargo door in the lower starboard side is a user mod. My preference would be to have the door open "UP" so that if it becomes unlatched the door still hangs down, mostly closed. With the hinge on the bottom if the latch fails or its not shut all the way, the door will open and rip off on the road. The latch on the door could point to prior issues with the door not closing right.

Thats quite common and can be a pain to deal with.

If you dont mind.. I will post the photos here for you to encourage further feedback. Oh.. I see you said looking at it on Tuesday and its Wednesday now. Thats the problem.. you need to act fast for a good Scamp deal. That means you need to be aware of things to look for in advance of finding one to look at. If you have days or week to think about it and ask about it, there might be a reason it has not been sold.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture1JPG.JPG   Capture2.JPG  

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #9

VA
Thank you very much for all of the feedback!

I understand about the photos, I'll look for another way to post them. I tried to go back to my old photobucket account only to see that there is no photobucket at the moment!!
Old 05-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Actually I don’t see any big top or bottom gaps in the door, which is a good sign. Other door issues are easier to deal with.

The discoloration of the headliner doesn’t seem too bad, either. If it’s near a window, check the floor inside the bench. If it’s solid, I wouldn’t consider it serious, and it’ll likely clean up well.

The vent near the door- air conditioner? That’s another possible source of leaks and rot. If you can gain access, check the floor under it carefully. If not at least check from below. Push on it to see if there’s any flex.

But Bill is right- these trailers don’t sit around long waiting for buyers to make up their minds unless there are serious issues, overpriced, or well off the beaten path. What’s the status?
Old 05-28-2021, 08:28 AM   #11

VA
I think that the trailer is indeed in good shape and will be a great choice for someone. I've decided not to buy it for reasons other than its condition.

I feel much more prepared for the next one I look at, thank you again to everyone who chimed in!

Tags
scamp