arrrg ,omg not another wax question!!!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
arrrg ,omg not another wax question!!!!!

ok i know,, a zilli0on wax questions before. but they seem focused on restoration of finish. mine is different and involves simply making spring cleanup easier.
i think before i store for the winter, though i actualy will most likely use it once a month or so, i want to put a good coat of wax on. this should make cleaning dust and storage grime off in the spring easier.
i was going to use what i had in the garrage , nu shine a once a year polish,,,and it dawned on me,,this is a polish and sealer, not a wax.
the idea of the wax is a slippery surface that will allow rinsing dirt off easily to prevent micro abrasion,(itty bitty scratches) and maintain the shine with out a lot of polishing. where as the nu shine seals and polishes, and protects from ultaviolet degridation.( that white chalky stuff).

my thinking is good old turttle wax in the fall,,, and nu shine in the spring.

does that seem a good plan? or will i be creating a chemical combonation that will burst into flame on contact with bug impact.(we have a lot of bugs in michigan)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
What ever you do dont upset the bugs!!!! if the chemical's burst into flames it will make them mad and go after you! which no doubt will result in you needing a blood transfusion to replace all the blood they suck out of you in revenge!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Don't mind Carol I think maybe she is self medicating for the pain of camping season ending with a wine cooler or two.

Only question I have is does nu shine go over good old turtle wax well? Or will you need an extra step in there to clean off the turtle wax so the nu shine can get a good coat that sticks.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I can tell you that none of the bugs that flatten themselves on your trailer will have the guts to try again. I've used a spray-on teflon wax on another trailer and most bugs will wash right off in the rain. Those that don't are easily removed with a light finger rub. I used two coats. Nothing on our Egg Camper yet.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Don't mind Carol I think maybe she is self medicating for the pain of camping season ending with a wine cooler or two.
Camping season ending? where when???? Still in full swing here in BC - saw a lot of fiberglass eggs on the Island Highway yesterday - in the mid to high 20's - for those who are metrically challenged thats the high 70's to low 80's - forecast is for this weather to continue
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Camping season ending? where when???? Still in full swing here in BC - saw a lot of fiberglass eggs on the Island Highway yesterday - in the mid to high 20's - for those who are metrically challenged thats the high 70's to low 80's - forecast is for this weather to continue
Camping season ENDING?
First, what the heck is a "camping season"?

Let's see if we can figure this camping season thing out.
Spring, summer and fall when it warm to hot is time to go up. Follow the melting snow to higher elevations, enjoy alpine and subalpine adventures in the summer, in the fall start moving down and watch the leaves change color.
Then comes the holidays and give the trailer a month or so rest. January it's off the south, Death Valley, Joshua Tree NP, places in southern AZ NM until March or April. Repeat at Spring.

Hmmm. I guess camping season is from January to December.
That sounds about right.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
On Topic - another wax

I use Gel-Gloss Heavy Exterior RV Cleaner and Wax with Garauba at least twice a year. A washing "soap" made by the same company to clean the trailer when ever it's dirty that has a wax in it.
When on the road a power car wash and what ever liquid wax they use. This has worked pretty well for me.

The Gel-Gloss even cleaned off pitch I got from parking under a tree.

I'm pretty sure that most automotive, RV, or boat wax will do a pretty nice job of protecting the finish and prevent oxidation.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
any bugs biting me will starve after a week in the forests of northern michigan last may. i cut myself shaving and all that came out was dust.....

will have to try a small spot to test the compatability i guess.

and as for camping season being over? i will be in algonac the 29th and 30th this month, and back again on the 20th with the grandkids for their holloween party. then not sure ,,,dec/. jan. wouldn't mind a trip somewhere. february thinking about scamp cam in florida. in march going out to vegas,, then april is here and we may go out to d.c. for the cherry blossoms.then the tullip festival in holland. then in may ,,,back to black lake for a week and the whole dang thing starts up again.

and somewhere in there i have to schedule a pig roaster for algonac next sept.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Camping season ENDING?
First, what the heck is a "camping season"?

Hmmm. I guess camping season is from January to December.
That sounds about right.
Ah...someday...someday !
Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #10

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
So if you did the floor wax treatment, can yo ugo over it with these other products? Can you apply another coat of wax after a wash or is some other prep work required?
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
....another wax question

I applied the Red Max Pro floor finish a couple of years ago to our then new to us 1990 13' Scamp, and have just been using ICE products (wash, detailer, polish, wax) by "Turtle Wax" ever since, and it still shines like new.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #12

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
David,
Tell me please if this should be a new thread, but if that Red Max Pro is so great can I use it on my car?? and only have to do it once like you have with your scamp?
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
...another wax question

I personally wouldn't us RMP as a car wax. I only used it because the fiberglass was chalky and after rubbing it out and applying a good wax coat, it would chalk up again in a couple of months. The RMP gave it a long lasting shine, but being that I live in Arizona (dusty & pollen laden air) on a dirt road, and I applied the product out side, the "feel" of it is gritty. It looks great, but does not give the smoooooooth feel of hand rubbed wax.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #14

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRubyLu-Kathy
David,
Tell me please if this should be a new thread, but if that Red Max Pro is so great can I use it on my car?? and only have to do it once like you have with your scamp?
There is a huge post (up to 43 million pages by now) or something close called check this out not poliglow

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
Yes and no one mentions doing the same thing with their cars?? Most of the newer cars have quite a bit of fiberglass in them so I was just wondering if it could also be used as a car wax. I guess I should check the mfg website to see if it was safe.

Thanks all.
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1993 Scamp 16ft.
Michigan
John, my son-in-law and buddy built a portable roaster on a 4x8 trailer with charcoal drawers in the bottom. The pig is split and laid on the grill, split, not on a spit, and slow roasted. He did one for our 40th that is still the talk. Could possibly be arranged for next year at your bequest your majesty, Lord of the Monkey Butter!!!

dbob
dbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
any bugs biting me will starve after a week in the forests of northern michigan last may. i cut myself shaving and all that came out was dust.....

will have to try a small spot to test the compatability i guess.

and as for camping season being over? i will be in algonac the 29th and 30th this month, and back again on the 20th with the grandkids for their holloween party. then not sure ,,,dec/. jan. wouldn't mind a trip somewhere. february thinking about scamp cam in florida. in march going out to vegas,, then april is here and we may go out to d.c. for the cherry blossoms.then the tullip festival in holland. then in may ,,,back to black lake for a week and the whole dang thing starts up again.

and somewhere in there i have to schedule a pig roaster for algonac next sept.
Hi: john warren... Last time I was in Dundee Mich. I bought all the bottles of Meguires 50 Marine and RV one step cleaner/wax, on the shelf at Cabellas. Sorry!!! That reminds me...I have to go find them and the can of elbow grease... and get rubbin'.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Waxing&Waining.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote