Auto Inflatable mattress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Hi everyone!

I purchased, fitted and installed most of the initial hardware items for the trailer (Barker VIP Electric jack (with a protection cover),Takonsha P3 brake controller, wheel tire chocks, MaxxAir Window vents). All of these items were selected after receiving much valued and appreciated advice from this forum.

So it's time to turn my attention sleeping/bedding options.

The Bigfoot 19 has the same sized dinette and gaucho couch as the Bigfoot 17. The side goucho bed measures 76'' X 42'' and the dinette bed measures 74'' x 42''. Basically 2 double beds.

I would like to purchase an inflatable mattress with an internal pump.

Can you please help me identify a good brand and store/internet source to purchase such an item?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Jane,

Don't know what brand I got but it was not good. I'll never go that route again. Will stick to the foam.

Will be interesting to read if anyone has positive feedback.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When my daughter and I visited the grandparents we each slept on an AeroBed on the floor (it was velveteen covered so at least we didn't slide off). It didn't have an internal pump, but was quick to setup and deflate (I think the newer ones have internal pumps. I found two problems. Because these beds are plastic (like an airmattress), no matter how full/firm I made the bed, the plastic stretched and eventually lost the firmness (through the night) and I thought the sleeping was "cold." I slept on the double, my daughter on a twin size. One time she didn't go with me and I slept on the twin. It was better! Still cold tho.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Jane,

Don't know what brand I got but it was not good. I'll never go that route again. Will stick to the foam.

Will be interesting to read if anyone has positive feedback.

Nancy

Negative input is valuable!

What type of foam? Where do you get it? How thick? Do you just put the sheets on it? Do you need a hard board to separate from the couch?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Jane,

I guess you want something to put on top of whatever you have?

Go to overstock.com and look at foam and memory foam. Get a size close to what you want and use an electric knife to cut off what you don't want.

For example I got a queen size, cut it in half and my husband had half for his bed and I used mine on my bunk. I made covers for the foam. If you are turning your couch into a permanent bed you could use an old mattress pad and sheet over the foam. The foam may keep its shape better if you make covers.

Some of the memory foam toppers come with covers, if one happens to be the right size you could just use the cover that comes with it.

The thickness and density is all very personal. What feels right to one of us may be uncomfortable for another. I have high density foam from fabric store for underneath my softer memory foam topper. Each is 3 inches thick. I have a 2 inch topper I bought at local store for my bed at home and it is too soft, had to take it off.

If you have to move bedding each time this it will be a problem. Best for permanent bed situation.

Not familiar with what you have, but I can't imagine needing a board between what you have and the topper.

Memory foam tends to be warm to sleep on, hasn't bothered me with my quilted fabric between me and the foam. It is also very hard in freezing temperatures.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
The Bigfoot 19 has the same sized dinette and gaucho couch as the Bigfoot 17. The side goucho bed measures 76'' X 42'' and the dinette bed measures 74'' x 42''. Basically 2 double beds.

Jane,

A double bed is 54" wide, yours are a foot narrower.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Hi,

We have self-inflating "Thermarest" mattresses (undo the valve, let it expand, maybe a puff or two to firm it up, then close the valve) from our tent camping days, which we place on top of our standard cushions. It's just as comfortable as our home bed.

They should be available at any top-end outdoorsy store, or Google it.

Pleasant dreams --

Des & Diane
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
We had two Aerobed internal pump mattresses. Both leak down overnight. I will never get another one.
Also I think the heat in a closed trailer kills them.

Memory foam gets really hard when cold.

Last Fall we got some 5 inch foam from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EQAYN...x_ya_oh_product

Very comfy.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1700 1978 (Neonex Clagary)
Air mattress are cold from the bottom up. In order to stay warm, you need to put blankets under you as well as on top of you. I have yet to sleep on one which I did not have to reinflate before I could sleep on it for the following night. Go for the foam.
Lydia Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi,

We have self-inflating "Thermarest" mattresses (undo the valve, let it expand, maybe a puff or two to firm it up, then close the valve) from our tent camping days, which we place on top of our standard cushions. It's just as comfortable as our home bed.

They should be available at any top-end outdoorsy store, or Google it.

Pleasant dreams --

Des & Diane
I have one from my back packing days (don't know if it would still hold air since it must be about 30 years old by now) but it was quite small, only extending down to the hips and quite narrow also. But it was the best out there at the time.

Are yours small like that? How does this work for a double bed? Is a larger camper size double bed model currently available?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
I have one from my back packing days (don't know if it would still hold air since it must be about 30 years old by now) but it was quite small, only extending down to the hips and quite narrow also. But it was the best out there at the time.

Are yours small like that? How does this work for a double bed? Is a larger camper size double bed model currently available?
Ours are also in the 20-30 year age bracket and are, as always, air-tight. I have heard that Thermarest doesn't want their product in landfills, forever, and will repair any that do develop leaks and are sent back to them.

Our mattresses are full-length. Narrow, yes, but that makes for a perfect side-by-side fit in a Boler double bed. Under a regular sheet and bedding in the summer when it's hot and under a sleeping bag when it's not, we have never had cold bottoms.
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Guess I'll have to dig them out, dust them off and give them a try.

Thanks
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote