Awning in a bag?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1980 13 ft
We have a 13ft boler and are trying to find an awning. I think i remember reading in a post abouth the awnings that slide thru the track and when your done you roll it up and zip it closed and your done.

Has anyone seen this posting or has info as to where to find one.

thanks so much.
Ria. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bag awnings are common on tent trailers. For instance:
RV Workshop Shademaker
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
Hi Ria,I have a 6-ft bag awning I purchased online at Interwestsports.com. I absolutely love it, i was a little worried about it's stability at first(I hate running ropes) but I learned to fully extend the poles as tight as you can get them and it's solid as a rock. You can see a picture of my bag awning on the cover-photos album, under the main albums tab, at the top of the page. I'm on page 17, Ricky W. Red Top Mt. State Park.
ricky w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I have a bag awning installed on our Scamp 16. I installed the awning rail. The awning doesn't require guys lines to support it. There is a set of tension poles that stretch the awning out away from the camper, then the vertical support poles attach along the front edge. The vertical poles have loops for staking them down.

This awning was brand new and cost about $200 on EBay. It came complete with a screen room. It was made to fit a Jayco pop-up camper.

It works fine and sets up pretty quickly once you've done it a few times. We also have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that we put down inside the screen room. It helps keep the leaves and dirt outside. To stow it you fold up the screen room part and roll-up the rest on the edge pole and zip the bag. The poles stow in their own bags which we usually just throw in the back of the TV.

When I bought ours they had several colors available but they're mostly off white with some color trim; actually fore and aft stripes on the front 1/3 of the awning. The screen room is white.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
Have had an A&E Trimline bag awning installed for a couple of months now. The 7 ft length fits the 13' Scamp nicely.

Works great.

Retracted

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	14307

Deployed

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	14308
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
We have a Interwest awning on our 16'ft U-Haul and can't imagine not having one. Although it's not large enough to have a campground picnic table under it, we place our chairs and a small chair side table and it's perfect.

http://www.interwestsports.com/bag%20awnings.html

A question for anyone who has a bag awning....do you use, or have you seen being used, a rain gutter spout on the channel railing? After the rains we had here last week, I just wondered if it would help divert the water away from the trailer.

Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
We have a Interwest awning on our 16'ft U-Haul and can't imagine not having one. Although it's not large enough to have a campground picnic table under it, we place our chairs and a small chair side table and it's perfect.

http://www.interwestsports.com/bag%20awnings.html

A question for anyone who has a bag awning....do you use, or have you seen being used, a rain gutter spout on the channel railing? After the rains we had here last week, I just wondered if it would help divert the water away from the trailer.
Carolyn, I can't say I've ever seen any kind of gutter on the awning rail. I've never done anything but drop down the 2 vertical poles and let the rain run-off. I was really impressed with the bag awning I got from interwestsports, $170.00 and I've never had a problem with it
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM0060.JPG  
Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Ricky,

I have the exact same awning as you have - on our maiden voyage last October, we didn't lower one of the corners when we went to bed one night, and much to our dismay had a pop-up thunder shower at 3am...hubby didn't get out of our cozy bed (he's on the outside so it's his job! LOL) to check it, and when we awoke in the morning one of the leg brackets had bent from the weight of the rain. Lowering one of the corners is one of the last things we do before we go to bed now!!! It was an expensive fix ($106) at our local RV dealer....We have learned from that mistake as well....

I was inquiring about the gutter on the awning during times when the trailer is parked in the driveway awaiting it's next camp outing, or in a few weeks when we'll be taking it to a campground and leaving it for a couple weeks and staying in it only on the weekend. (It's a deal the campground has, reserve for at least 2 consecutive weekends and not have to haul the trailer back home, they'll store it and replace it for your next weekend stay). During that time, we'll have the awning rolled back up and stored....just trying to make bath time easier not having to scrub the black streaks!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
I don't remember the brand that I have. But the bag awning it the best way to go. Yep' I had a tent trailer many years ago and I just adapted it to my 13' Scamp. Trust me when I say that you will not be disappointed. Go get it, easy to install...
Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Ricky,

I have the exact same awning as you have - on our maiden voyage last October, we didn't lower one of the corners when we went to bed one night, and much to our dismay had a pop-up thunder shower at 3am...hubby didn't get out of our cozy bed (he's on the outside so it's his job! LOL) to check it, and when we awoke in the morning one of the leg brackets had bent from the weight of the rain. Lowering one of the corners is one of the last things we do before we go to bed now!!! It was an expensive fix ($106) at our local RV dealer....We have learned from that mistake as well....

I was inquiring about the gutter on the awning during times when the trailer is parked in the driveway awaiting it's next camp outing, or in a few weeks when we'll be taking it to a campground and leaving it for a couple weeks and staying in it only on the weekend. (It's a deal the campground has, reserve for at least 2 consecutive weekends and not have to haul the trailer back home, they'll store it and replace it for your next weekend stay). During that time, we'll have the awning rolled back up and stored....just trying to make bath time easier not having to scrub the black streaks!!

Hey Carolyn, I see what you mean now. I guess what i would do is bungee a tarp over it like i do in my driveway(I don't have covered shelter for it)then the entire camper would be protected from the elements. With my 13 footer(only 10ft of body) an good size tarp will cover everything but the wheels.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 1983 17.5 ft Bigfoot
Hi all. I am new to this site and have a related question on these bag type awnings. We have a 1981 17.5 ft. Bigfoot that appears to have an existing track for an awning. If i remember from an older trailer we used to have the awning end that fit into the track was looped around a piece of rope and that is what slid into the track. My question is if these bag awnings slide in the same way and if these tracks are a standard size. Did anyone who purchased the bag awning use an existing track to attach. I also remember somewhere about a 4 inch clearance needed between the bag awning and the top of the door. I apologize if i am rehashing stuff here but sometimes you look through the threads and forget where you saw something.
Love this site!

Thanks. John.
John Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Hi all. I am new to this site and have a related question on these bag type awnings. We have a 1981 17.5 ft. Bigfoot that appears to have an existing track for an awning. If i remember from an older trailer we used to have the awning end that fit into the track was looped around a piece of rope and that is what slid into the track. My question is if these bag awnings slide in the same way and if these tracks are a standard size. Did anyone who purchased the bag awning use an existing track to attach. I also remember somewhere about a 4 inch clearance needed between the bag awning and the top of the door. I apologize if i am rehashing stuff here but sometimes you look through the threads and forget where you saw something.
Love this site!

Thanks. John.
The awning tracks are fairly standard although there are two sizes. The part of the bag that fits the track is the bolt-rope and today they are made of vinyl and designed to be the right fit for the tracks. The tracks also come in aluminum or plastic. The plastic (probably PVC) are used where you need to curve the track more than would be easy to do with aluminum. Most camper-awning or boat cover/canvas type shops will have the awning rail and the bolt-rope material. It's not a big deal to replace the bolt-rope on the bag.

My bag has tie-down straps that use snaps to hold the bag down while trailering. I mounted my rail high enough that the bag won't interfere with the door when it hangs down and is strapped for trailering. You would likely need more than 4 inches of clearance above the door (mine would need almost 7 inches) but that probably depends on the bag. If the bag when inserted into the rail hangs down so far that it interferes with opening the door, you could place tie down points such that the bag is either tied up away from the door or flipped over on top and then tied/snapped down.

Having just 4 inches of clearance above the door will also limit how much you can tilt the outboard edge of the awning down to shed rain. With the awning deployed, you still need to be able to open the door fully without rubbing on the awning.

Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote