Awning Storage When Not In Use - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber
Hilton Beach
Awning Storage When Not In Use

We bought a 1977 Beachcomber and are planning to overhaul it this coming winter.
We are considering ordering a Classic Pole and Rope awning for it from Vintage Trailer Supply but they told us that is should not be folded when not in use but instead should be rolled. We dont know how this would work because we would have difficulty getting the rolled awing (8 feet long) into the trailer. The fabric is a laminated vinyl, not a sunbrella type.
How is everyone else storing their awnings?
The Cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:18 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Look into bag awnings. Also check out Marti's awnings, they are rope & pole type and from what I've heard the best out there. Personally we prefer a bag awning over a rope & pole, but that's just a personal preference. Every rope & pole awning we had we folded it for storage but they were a canvas type material.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Vinyl fabric does not like sharp creases, especially if they're in the same place all the time. I'm wondering if, after rolling, it could be bent in the middle? Or if that's too thick, roll both ends to the middle, then bend?

Still... sounds like it will be fairly heavy and bulky regardless. Are you sure that's the fabric you really want?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #4

Hilton Beach
Mary and Bob, I'm not sure what a bag awning is. Could you point me to a link of send a pic. Thanks
Jon, You make a good point about vinyl being heavy, almost double that of sunbrella. Its just that we really like the colour, turqouise and white stripe. Maybe we will keep looking for a canvass/sunbrella alternative.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Personally, I would go with Marti's Awnings, (which I did,) and never regretted it. She also uses the Sunbrella awning fabric which I feel is much superior than the vinyl fabric ones. Her Sunbrella awnings can be folded up and stuffed into a small "stuff sack" that comes with it. It weighs only a few pounds and takes up no more room than a folded bath towel. I also got rid of the Fiamma awning that I couldn't stand from day-one, and installed a section of Keder rail, which has a slide-in "C" channel groove that accepts the Keder welt sewn onto the trailer's edge of the awning. The nice thing about the Keder rail is that it actually seals to the side of the trailer without the "gap" that the Fiamma had.

LINK: Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings
Attached Thumbnails
20190428_201304_001.jpg   20190430_124553.jpg  

Keder Rail2.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cac View Post
We bought a 1977 Beachcomber and are planning to overhaul it this coming winter.
We are considering ordering a Classic Pole and Rope awning for it from Vintage Trailer Supply but they told us that is should not be folded when not in use but instead should be rolled. We dont know how this would work because we would have difficulty getting the rolled awing (8 feet long) into the trailer. The fabric is a laminated vinyl, not a sunbrella type.
How is everyone else storing their awnings?

My rope and pole awning (sunbrella fabric) was folded when not in use from the day I bought it (for over 12 years). I stored it in the camper during camping season, and brought it inside with the rest of my cloth 'soft goods' in the winter months here in Michigan. It never developed any issues and was still going strong on the day that I sold the trailer. I got the awning from Marti's awnings.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #7

Hilton Beach
So Marti's Awnings it is!

We have scuttled our original plan and decided to go with Marti's Awnings based on fellow users recommendations. We called Marti and ended up buying one of her ready made units. She agreed to make some minor mods to it. What a nice lady! I hope the awning gets to us here in Canada before the snow flies! Thanks.

Tags
awning