Axle replacement in S. Ontario - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If you've had an axle replaced in S. ON. Who did you use and would you recommend them? Costs?

Thanks,
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quote:
If you've had an axle replaced in S. ON. Who did you use and would you recommend them? Costs?

Thanks,
Roy
I bought my new axle from Cerka in Milton, they built the axle to my specs, and I installed it myself, It was just a bolt on.

If you Call them I'm sure they might be able to help you out, Ask for Joe Ribau.

I can't remember the exact price, but it was under 300.00 for a 3500 pound axle with easy-lube bearings, and brakes
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:49 AM   #3

Quote:
I bought my new axle from Cerka in Milton, they built the axle to my specs, and I installed it myself, It was just a bolt on.

If you Call them I'm sure they might be able to help you out, Ask for Joe Ribau.

I can't remember the exact price, but it was under 300.00 for a 3500 pound axle with easy-lube bearings, and brakes
Thank you Joe!

They are about 1/2 hour from me, could not be better

Roy
Old 05-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Roy, the Boler/Scamp/Casita axles are normally welded on (I think Casita may now be bolting theirs on, but am not sure), not bolted on. I recommend you consult with your axle guys to see if they can weld on the bracket that Dexter sells and then bolt the axle to the bracket -- If you then ever need to change your axle again, you could do it yourself.

If you don't get brakes (ordering axle with brakes equipped is least expensive way to get brakes), be sure to at least have the axle equipped with brake flanges (about $3!!!) -- Without the flanges welded on at the factory before the rubber goes in, it's not possible to add brakes.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Roy, the Boler/Scamp/Casita axles are normally welded on (I think Casita may now be bolting theirs on, but am not sure), not bolted on. I recommend you consult with your axle guys to see if they can weld on the bracket that Dexter sells and then bolt the axle to the bracket -- If you then ever need to change your axle again, you could do it yourself.

If you don't get brakes (ordering axle with brakes equipped is least expensive way to get brakes), be sure to at least have the axle equipped with brake flanges (about $3!!!) -- Without the flanges welded on at the factory before the rubber goes in, it's not possible to add brakes.
Good points Pete

Cerka does not install, they only sell, so I am going to have to find someone to do the install, or I may try it myself. From what I've read else where on FGRV, adding brakes when replacing the axle has been recommended time and time again. Mine has e brakes, so I was going to replace with the same. Your suggestion of the adding the brake flanges is a good for someone that does not want brakes but will benefit the next owner down the line.

Tags
axle