B17 roofs and "series".... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
B17 roofs and "series"....

After reading a thread about "wavy roofs" on certain years (80s) Bigfoot 17s I have to think that there must have been a switch in the construction process sometime between the very start of production and 2005 (when the switch from the 1500 and 2500 series happened).

The reason for this is the roof on my 97 is super strong...I was up there again the other day and it feels like I could do a jig up there....and I'm 200lbs! It's real stiff under foot. As far from "wavy" as you can get.

This leads me to think that sometime between the late eighties and the early nineties there was a change at the factory....think of it from going from "no series" to the 1500 series trailers maybe....Does that make sense to anybody? If so I wonder what year it was that the switch happened.

If I'm right it would mean that there are THREE "series" of BF17 trailers....not just two....Waddya think?

the pictures are a cross section of the roof in my 97...bottom up, it shows the wet bath enclosure...space...the glued-on headliner...the thin plywood/styrofoam insulation...the fiberglass roof....putty....and the hatch frame
Attached Thumbnails
roof3.jpg   roof2.jpg  

spnew.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

Looks sound! I have a 2001 17' and I'm hoping my construction is the same. I have the cold pkg. version.
squatch-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
yeah, I'm thinking...

looking at a bunch of pictures....there is a possibility that the switch from original to 1500 series happened at the same time as the bigger rockguards happened.....so we're probably looking for the guy that's got the oldest Bigfoot 17 WITH a large rockguard......

(all speculating here of course....just playing Sherlock Holmes kinda)

could the difference in the roof be just that thin layer of plywood (would have to have an 80s owner chime in)....or maybe just more FG? (the FG don't look all that thick on mine)
Attached Thumbnails
roof3.jpg   targets2.jpg  

Old 04-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Well I would say that our roof is a little on the "wavy" side and it's a 1987. We have an original brochure for it and it just calls it a "B17". It evidently came in three models, the B17SW (SW for "Spiritwing"), the B17Del. (Del. for Deluxe) and the B17Std. (Std. for Standard). We think ours is the B17SW given the features it has, but it could just as easily be a B17Del. with options. The previous owners listed it as a deluxe model when they put it up for sale. Kinda hard to sort it out, but there's definitely no mention of "1500" in any of the original literature that came with our trailer. We think we're the third owner. so you may well be right Francois.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:53 PM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My 91 Deluxe roof is strong I've been on it a few times.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
I've been on the roof of our 2003 1500 series and it seems strong enough to hold me (175lbs). I stay along the perimeter to be safe, and crawl on all fours.
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
Evergreen and Daniel...

thanks Evergreengirl....I did notice that the original B17 came in very different models...some with no shower/hot water

Daniel, I notice in your registry that your 91 has the big rock guard....supporting my theory about that being the point where "1500" started. Anybody have a 1990 with the bigger rock guard?

Both your trailers exteriors look real sharp with new graphics and all...mine looks a little rough...made a stab at removing the graphics on the rock guard...didn't go too well......thanks for the responses
Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Just playing Watson to your Sherlock.
Perhaps the 1500 designation for the 17 started when the larger Bigfoots changed molds and they lowered the belly band. From looking at photos on fgrv4sale this seems to have been sometime between 1991 and 1994. Not sure just guessin'.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
well.... Watson

the lowered belly band thing happened sometime around 2005 (bankuptcy and reorganization) and was the change from 1500 to 2500 series (different molds, more insulation, dual pane windows, etc)

what we are "investigating"....is the possibility (and the date) that a change happened between the "no series and lots of options/models" to the "1500 series with one single standard of production"

it's kinda looking like that happened....just looking for the "when"
it's also looking like it happened at the same time larger rockguards (with gas shocks) made their appearance
Attached Thumbnails
17517.jpg   missed6.JPG  

Old 04-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
B17 roofs

My 1993 17CB appears to have a transverse beam across from side to side about 1/4 from the front. The roof slopes slightly down forwards and backwards from it and the 13.5Kbtu Briskaire AC sits slightly tilted to the back and to the drivers side. When putting in a Dometic supposedly 'Hard Start Kit' into the AC, I did not notice any movement nor flexing of the roof at all. (The kit didn't help with the Honda 2000i starting the AC - I'll be trying another Supco kit!)
The roof itself is a bit wavy looking at it but it is pretty solid.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #11

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Mike the reason I put the 9200 Polar Cub in mine was to be able to use the Honda 2000.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #12

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
But Sherlock...........:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
the lowered belly band thing happened sometime around 2005 (bankuptcy and reorganization) and was the change from 1500 to 2500 series (different molds, more insulation, dual pane windows, etc)

what we are "investigating"....is the possibility (and the date) that a change happened between the "no series and lots of options/models" to the "1500 series with one single standard of production"

it's kinda looking like that happened....just looking for the "when"
it's also looking like it happened at the same time larger rockguards (with gas shocks) made their appearance
That's true for the 17's. What I was hypothesizing was that the 1500 designation for the 17's came at the same time they changed the molds on the 19's and designated them as a new 2500 series. From a marketing standpoint if they were renaming the larger trailers they might have renamed the 17's at the same time. Just a thought.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
19s ????

the BF19 is a seperate trailer altogether...with dual axles.....(see first photo) I don't think it ever was produced in the 1500 "era"...let alone 2500

the second pic is of a 17, with smaller rockgard....the mold is exactly the same as the later 1500s (with larger rockguards)....have a close look at the distinct shape at the front, below the bellyband (second and third pics)

then the difference between the "1500BF17" and the "2500BF17.5"...fourth pic

so my theory is that at about the same time as the larger rockguard made it's appearance (1500series and badging) there was a change in the building procedures at the factory....no more options packages (standardized production of the 17s) and possibly a stronger roof structure...

just shootin' the breeze here.....still looking for the oldest B17 with larger rockguard....so far it's a 1991 model year...
Attached Thumbnails
19.JPG   17a.JPG  

missed1.JPG   17517.jpg  

Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I'm not sure what the distinction between the "large" and "small" gravel guards is, I can't tell from the photos although that "pointed" one on that B19 is certainly unique.

My 1989 B17G has shocks on the gravel guard. It also has a very strong roof as all of my 240 lbs. has been up there many times. It is mildly wavy but not distorted. It it's also peaked as Michael Pupeza describes in an above post.

I don't have a photo of the cross section but it's blue insulation foam sandwiched by fiberglass on top, and plywood underneath (interior ceiling).

Here's a shot of the front showing the gravel guard. So is this large or small?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0567_bigfoot_B17G.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
ding ding, you win Junkie....

....if you have an 89 that is the oldest 17 with the larger rockguard...(a possible clue as to when a change in build happened)

what I call the small rockguard is the one that is thinner and has the supports on the outside of the guard (probably spring shocks)....instead of the molded fiberglass piece with the gas shocks inside the guard, when closed up

here's a couple of pics of the "small" one.....sorry about the quality of the pics, they suffered blowing them up...

the molds certainly did not change.....I'm speculating that the building specs for the roof (at least) changed at some point...given the comments about "wavy" roofs we get now and then and that the rockguard change is when that happened....cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
17c.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
ding ding, you win Junkie....

....if you have an 89 that is the oldest 17 with the larger rockguard...(a possible clue as to when a change in build happened)

what I call the small rockguard is the one that is thinner and has the supports on the outside of the guard (probably spring shocks)....instead of the molded fiberglass piece with the gas shocks inside the guard, when closed up

here's a couple of pics of the "small" one.....sorry about the quality of the pics, they suffered blowing them up...

the molds certainly did not change.....I'm speculating that the building specs for the roof (at least) changed at some point...given the comments about "wavy" roofs we get now and then.... and that the rockguard change is when that happened....cheers, F
Old 04-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
wooops on the double post.. (???)

here's a better picture of a trailer with the "small" rockguard....it's thin and lies flat against window...shocks/supports are on the outside...
Attached Thumbnails
17d.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The older style rock screen has 2 aluminum support arms that slide one-within-the-other. There is no spring or shock. There is a wing screw that locks the arms in the up position. My 1980 Bigfoot and 1973 Compact Jr have the same rock guard supports.
I doubt we will ever know when Bigfoot added reinforcement to the roof since it's hidden in the ceiling structure. Any company that has been in business since 1978 has made hundreds of changes, large and small, as they improve their product. I look at my Bigfoot and others and wonder; when did they move the closet, add a cover over the propane tanks, switch from wood grain vinyl luan wall panels to real wood veneer, add an exterior grab handle, add exterior storage hatches, etc.

P.S. I will always call my trailer a 1500 series.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #19

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
The older style rock screen has 2 aluminum support arms that slide one-within-the-other. There is no spring or shock. There is a wing screw that locks the arms in the up position. My 1980 Bigfoot and 1973 Compact Jr have the same rock guard supports.
I doubt we will ever know when Bigfoot added reinforcement to the roof since it's hidden in the ceiling structure. Any company that has been in business since 1978 has made hundreds of changes, large and small, as they improve their product. I look at my Bigfoot and others and wonder; when did they move the closet, add a cover over the propane tanks, switch from wood grain vinyl luan wall panels to real wood veneer, add an exterior grab handle, add exterior storage hatches, etc.

P.S. I will always call my trailer a 1500 series.

I have no idea what series mine is but it has these support arms on the rock guard that you're talking about. Its 19 and the window under it isn't flat it sort of comes to a point in the middle. I was wishing it would open that would be awesome but the way the front is there would be no way to have one that opens. I think mine is also a deluxe. Mine also has the cover for the propane bottles. Also a double axle just like the one in the pic on page 1, the 1st pic in the line up of 3 pix I believe it was.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
I realize this is a somewhat old post but just came upon it today. We have a 1981 Bigfoot 17 with enough sway up front to accommodate a small puddle of water. We spent a few years trying to get this Bigfoot and are so happy with it that we are more than willing to forgiver her for being a little swaybacked. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote