Baseline Weight of 13' Trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Name: gary
Idaho
Baseline Weight of 13' Trailers

I love these trailers, but I have a 1400# tow limit. Researching here, and else where, I realize that the sub 1000# advertised weights were not accurate. I have pursued a couple trailers online which were advertised as 900~1000#. As a condition of purchase, I asked they be weighed. Both came in in at about 1400#.

I can't let go of the dream, and I still think a complete overhaul could net a trailer that is in the 1000# range. So here is my question:

I have seen many rebuilds on here. Has anyone been able to weight the trailer and fiberglass shell ... no flooring, wall cover, appliances, furniture, or fixtures. Just the bare bones egg trailer?

Any 13' models and other feedback would be appreciated.
gjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I know this:

The 1st trailer in http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post217169 was stripped out and lightweight birch shelving, not enclosed cabinetry was used to furnish the interior.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #3

Idaho
Thank you, Frederick. That is a start.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
The tag on my 73 Compact Jr shows 1370#, however when I weighed it with water tank empty, (2) deepcycle batteries, food, dishes, pots and pans, bedding and clothes; it was only 1240#
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #5

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bese View Post
The tag on my 73 Compact Jr shows 1370#, however when I weighed it with water tank empty, (2) deepcycle batteries, food, dishes, pots and pans, bedding and clothes; it was only 1240#
Very Interesting! Thank you Dave.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
We had weight concerns when we bought our '78 Trillium a few years ago so I had it weighed. Empty, with a battery and full propane tank, it weighed a shade over 1,000 lbs. so there's hope for you. Mind you, the previous owner stripped out the water tank and this particular Trillium had no heater. Good luck with your search.

Guy
GuyNicoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Check out the Weiscraft Little Joe. It is lighter than most at around 900 lb (true) base weight. The overall height is also a bit lower so it should be easier to tow. Depending on what you add for options you could be under 1000 lb empty.

They are at weiscrafttrailers.com.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #8

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNicoletti View Post
We had weight concerns when we bought our '78 Trillium a few years ago so I had it weighed. Empty, with a battery and full propane tank, it weighed a shade over 1,000 lbs. so there's hope for you. Mind you, the previous owner stripped out the water tank and this particular Trillium had no heater. Good luck with your search.

Guy
Thanks Guy. I believe it is possible. I suppose I could go for it and just sell it if I find out different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
Check out the Weiscraft Little Joe. It is lighter than most at around 900 lb (true) base weight. The overall height is also a bit lower so it should be easier to tow. Depending on what you add for options you could be under 1000 lb empty.

They are at weiscrafttrailers.com.
Very interesting, Orlen. I like it as an option, but the "egg" shaped models are a preference. I spent a while checking them out last night, and I have some customizations in mind that would make one of these very agreeable. In fact, if I decided I do not want a project, this appears to be the only choice.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
...just to clarify...although our '78 Trillium didn't have a built-in heater, and the previous owner removed the water tank, it wasn't stripped to the bone. It had a 3 way fridge, sink and an awning set packed away under the gaucho. We wanted to get into lightweight RVing and we travelled very light until we upgraded to a better tow vehicle.

Guy
GuyNicoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #10

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNicoletti View Post
...just to clarify...although our '78 Trillium didn't have a built-in heater, and the previous owner removed the water tank, it wasn't stripped to the bone. It had a 3 way fridge, sink and an awning set packed away under the gaucho. We wanted to get into lightweight RVing and we travelled very light until we upgraded to a better tow vehicle.

Guy
Yeah, I got that. It has me really intrigued. I really wonder what the shell and trailer weight. I can envision some minimalist cabinetry and appliances that could reduce another 100~200#.

Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 73 Boler
Registry
I've got my '71 Boler off the frame right now with the interior completely stripped except for the ensolite. I'll see if I can weigh the empty shell tonight with a bathroom scale at each end.

I don't have easy access to the frame at the moment.
Peter Steckhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #12

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Steckhan View Post
I've got my '71 Boler off the frame right now with the interior completely stripped except for the ensolite. I'll see if I can weigh the empty shell tonight with a bathroom scale at each end.

Awesome! Thank you.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #13

Idaho
Quote:

Can you include a pic?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #14

Registry
I've removed the closet, but I don't have a more up-to-date picture.
Attached Thumbnails
outside_left_front.jpg   outside_right_rear.jpg  

inside_front.jpg   inside_rear.jpg  

Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #15

Idaho
Quote:
I've removed the closet, but I don't have a more up-to-date picture.
Perfect. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #16

Registry
The empty shell, stripped except for the ensolite, is close to 400 pounds. I've got it mounted on a fake wood frame that is sitting on a large dolly to make it easier to roll around the garage. There are only two contact points from the frame to the dolly. I put the bathroom scale under each in turn, so the 400 pounds includes my fake frame. The fake frame consists of two eight foot 2x4s and two four foot 2x4s. It doesn't weight much. The rear weight was 180 pounds and the front weight was 220 pounds. I think the rear weight was less than the front because the rear cross piece is closer to the edge of the shell than the front cross piece.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #17

Idaho
Quote:
The empty shell, stripped except for the ensolite, is close to 400 pounds. I've got it mounted on a fake wood frame that is sitting on a large dolly to make it easier to roll around the garage. There are only two contact points from the frame to the dolly. I put the bathroom scale under each in turn, so the 400 pounds includes my fake frame. The fake frame consists of two eight foot 2x4s and two four foot 2x4s. It doesn't weight much. The rear weight was 180 pounds and the front weight was 220 pounds. I think the rear weight was less than the front because the rear cross piece is closer to the edge of the shell than the front cross piece.
Thanks Peter!

WAG'n here ....

Shell 375#
Trailer 200#
Windows and door: 100#
Floor: 75#
Cabinetry: 100#
Utilities: 50~100#

Total: 950#
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We think you are underestimating the weight of the "trailer" in your list. Three tires and wheels (you are going to have a spare aren't you?) are going to be 60-75 lbs., the axle about 100ish lbs, plus the frame itself, the coupler, safety chains, tongue jack...at a minimum. Depending on how you are going to use the trailer you might want a battery (up to 75 lbs.) and/or propane tank.

I have a 13 ft Boler that weighs in at 2200 lbs loaded for a weekend trip. This weight included a battery, a propane tank, a window AC, heater, 3 way frig., no water tank and no additional "toys".
Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #19

Registry
I should have mentioned that the shell currently does have the door and windows installed, but no closet or furniture.

200 lbs is probably a bit light for the trailer. My Boler is one of the earlier ones, and the frame was made of a very light gauge (I've seen fenders with thicker metal) C-channel. It had cracked in many places, been reinforced, cracked again and was bent. It, along with the axle/wheels/tires was probably over 200 lbs. I didn't weight it, I'm just guessing from what it took to move it around. The new frame will be stronger and heavier. I'll weigh it separately when I get a chance.

I think 1000 lbs is within reach for a stripped-down egg. That assumes you don't have any appliances (fridge/stove/furnace), water tank, battery or much of anything in it besides the furniture. This isn't completely useless either - it sounds a lot like the Westfalia camping interior I had on my VW van. The van was a lot more convenient and comfortable than a tent.

I'll weigh each of the furniture pieces this weekend. My Boler didn't come with a furnace, but I'll weigh the fridge, sink and stove separately.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #20

Idaho
Quote:
I should have mentioned that the shell currently does have the door and windows installed, but no closet or furniture.

200 lbs is probably a bit light for the trailer. My Boler is one of the earlier ones, and the frame was made of a very light gauge (I've seen fenders with thicker metal) C-channel. It had cracked in many places, been reinforced, cracked again and was bent. It, along with the axle/wheels/tires was probably over 200 lbs. I didn't weight it, I'm just guessing from what it took to move it around. The new frame will be stronger and heavier. I'll weigh it separately when I get a chance.

I think 1000 lbs is within reach for a stripped-down egg. That assumes you don't have any appliances (fridge/stove/furnace), water tank, battery or much of anything in it besides the furniture. This isn't completely useless either - it sounds a lot like the Westfalia camping interior I had on my VW van. The van was a lot more convenient and comfortable than a tent.

I'll weigh each of the furniture pieces this weekend. My Boler didn't come with a furnace, but I'll weigh the fridge, sink and stove separately.
Thanks Peter, you are going above and beyond

I have seen some alternative cabinetry that looks very minimal and functional. Smaller, no doors or lighter door materials. Perhaps even framed/trussed structures instead of fully enclosed.

Tags
weighing, weight