BATTERY hook-up for 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Hi there everybody,

I'm somewhat new to this forum - joined a while back, but only recently got a trailer - 1985 16' scamp.

There was no battery when I picked this trailer up. I don't see the leads in the exterior front near the propane tank, where the battery is supposed to be located. I do see a "batttery" label on the exterior where electrical cables are protruding, but they lead to the trailer light hook-up connectors. The trailer light hook-up connectors have been modified from the original. However, I checked the diagram for the original electrical system and I did not see any refrence to the battery.

My question is this: on the original trailer, was there TWO leads, one for the trailer light hook-ups and one for the battery that led from inisde the trailer? Or did the battery leads run off the same conduit that feeds the trailer lights?

I believe there should be a fuse under under the front bench. Ulimtately, according to the new wiring diagram on Scamp's website, I think I should be connecting the black and white (ground) wire to a 12V DC battery. Is this correct?

http://scamptrailers.com/wiring.cfm

thx
lenny247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
There was no battery when I picked this trailer up. I don't see the leads in the exterior front near the propane tank, [b]where the battery is supposed to be located. I do see a "batttery" label on the exterior where electrical cables are protruding, but they lead to the trailer light hook-up connectors. The trailer light hook-up connectors have been modified from the original. However, [b]I checked the diagram for the original electrical system and I did not see any refrence to the battery.

My question is this: on the original trailer, was there TWO leads, one for the trailer light hook-ups and one for the battery that led from inisde the trailer? Or did the battery leads run off the same conduit that feeds the trailer lights?

I believe there should be a fuse under under the front bench. Ulimtately, according to the new wiring diagram on Scamp's website, I think I should be connecting the black and white (ground) wire to a 12V DC battery. Is this correct?

http://scamptrailers.com/wiring.cfm

thx
Yes, there should be a separate pair of wires (one black, one white) that is different from the bundle of wires for the tail/running light plug.

One possibility could be that your battery might be located inside the coach under a bunk???
Old 03-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If your Scamp came from factory without a battery installed (my 91S13 did), the battery wires and inline fuse should be in place but taped into the wiring harness near where the frame meets the trailer -- Look carefully and I'll bet you find the wiring bundle seems to be a lot thicker on that end than on the end with the truck plug. The main harness is in a sheath and the battery wires in another sheath taped to the outside.

The wires for the lights never crossconnect with the rest of the wiring -- They are powered and fused by the tow vehicle.

Almost the same for the brake wiring except they are connected to the battery thru the breakaway brake switch.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, scamp