Battery in winter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Battery in winter

A few points that this new RVer could use a little advice on please.

I have gutted my Trillium Jubilee and am planning on renoing the inside completely over the winter. I have it in my carport and so have it plugged into power.

Are there any pros and cons about leaving the 12 Volt battery connected or should it definitely be pulled off the trailer. if so, is there something other than just storing it in the heated workshop that should be done with it ?

Likewise, what about the fridge which is staying in it's existing location. Should I be hooking it up to the propane and firing it up once in a while?

I will be making the rear dinette area into a permanent bed and building a two seat dinette in the front where the bunks were. This will deny access to the storage under the rear dinette seats. I have seen photos in the gallery etc. of trailers with what appears to be an exterior access panel low down on the rear end and looking like it might access these areas under the dinette seats.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get a supplier for sizing info, price etc on these panels.

I am in Surrey BC Canada.

Thanks in advance for any help that any one can give.

Peter Russell
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The battery will have a better, longer life if it's kept fully charged. Therefore I would suggest that you remove the battery and connect it to a Battery Tender, Battery Minder or other such device.
The door of fridge needs to be open. It won't hurt it to not be run for a few months.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I leave my batteries in the trailer, but ensure that they stay fully charged so no damage happens. Keeping them at full charge in freezing weather is important. I just plug in once or twice a winter, but they seem to hold charge quite well. I do use the battery disconnect to ensure no drain on them at all.

Like Byron said, no issue with the fridge not running for an extended period, with the door cracked to avoid mold.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Thanks gentlemen, for your very speedy replies.

I'll crack open the fridge door and fasten it there and checkout a battery minder ..... thanks again.

Peter
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
One of these years, I'll have to replace my battery. Bad girl, I am, it stays inthe camper all winter, and I could not tell you what brand or type it is. Its been in there for 5 years now. ...but I do plug it in on occasion during the winter, must be why it's lasting so long.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery