BATTERY REPLACEMENT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
BATTERY REPLACEMENT

My Scamp was purchased new in April 2010. It has the Group 24 Onboard battery. It has now gone kaput!

I'm looking into a replacement. Any opinions? The battery to stay away from? The ULTIMATE battery to purchase? I've read pros/cons on most: DieHard, Interstate, EverStart, EverLast, AC Delco, Optimas and the list goes on and on.

I wasnt faithful about keeping it charged through the winter months. I also killed it flat-out with my 12v fridge a couple of times before I installed a 12v light letting me know it's still on!!

I realize that you can install a "Battery Wizard" on my Progressive Dynamics converter to help maintain it. But I'd rather go with the Battery Tender Jr. and keep it external. I also wont have to keep my Scamp plugged in.

Thanks ahead...
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
This is a great question Darral and I'm glad you posted it. Although I just had my 2012 group 24 tested at auto zone and got the green light, I would also like to learn folks thoughts on a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I replaced mine I changed the battery box to a larger size and bought a group 27 battery from Walmart. If the battery fails under warranty period their is a Walmart close by where ever you are. My progressive dynamics 4045 has the charge wizard, it works extremely well. I keep my trailer plugged in all the time at home and on 60 watts solar when I am away. Battery is always ready. Battery is pushing 3 years now and still going strong. Total water added in this time close to a couple of table spoons. Just enough to say I added some since I had to open everything up. I am not power hungry in my trailer. Daily use draws the battery down to 70% charge unless I am running the heater at night then it draws down to 60% or so. The solar brings the charge back up by noon or so weather cooperating. Cant ask for better than that. If I am lucky my camper is used 1-1/2 months out of a year so the battery sits allot. Maybe 5 nights a year it may see freezing.

Hope you find yourself with a system that works as well for you.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Last battery I picked up came from Costco - Group 27 Deep Cell. Price was good. I pulled the trailer into the parking lot and did the change over there and I seem to recall they gave me a bit of a discount for exchanging the old one into them. They will also take it back no questions asked if there is a problem. No problems though - has worked well for over 5 years now - although I am very careful with discharge rates etc. Did notice while dry camping last week-end that it may not be holding a charge as well as it could in the past so will probable just pick up another next trip to Costco.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #5

New York
Registry
I think the Wally battery is a good idea. As you say they're everywhere. Is their battery name a dura last?

Mine sits in the garage all winter on a good battery tender with float mode. Here in western New York, it's freezing all the time for many months.

I've never added water and honestly wouldn't know how to tell it needed it. All I know is you add distilled right? Are there marker lines inside and what do you take off to check? Can't picture it in my minds eye now aside from the posts.

As usual, a big honest duh for me. I'm learning to be a mechanic- a scamp one!

Old 06-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wendy, I'm leaning towards the Wally "EverStart MAXX" which has a 2 yr warranty myself. It's a group 24 and I'm going to stick with it (Group 24) since I dont do any boondocking. Plus, it will fit my existing battery box .

Here's the link to it:
EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Marine Battery, Group Size 24DC - Walmart.com
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Duralast is an Auto Zone brand. On top of your battery should be 2 big squarish covers you pry those up then you will see the fill ports. Yes you should use distilled water. look down the battery ports you will see a slot in the plastic and a plastic ridge at the bottom of the port. pour your water in there until the water touches that bottom ridge. Do not fill the battery up to the top. the battery needs its space to work its magic. newer automotive type battery's also have maintenance free battery's and will say so on the battery. you don't pry off caps with those battery's. they are supposed to be filled for life and use different technology making them maintenance free. You can probably look up a U-Tube Video if you need further help.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Thanks Steve. Mine is the battery that scamp provides. Northern is the brand I believe. I'm going to try that little procedure you wrote about. Just bought some distilled water for my sons motorcycle batt. I think your directions are understandable enough. Cheers!

Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Die Hard, Duralast, Interstate, Kirkland and Pro Start are all made by the same company. Johnson Controls makes them all. They are essentially the same battery. I was in the Johnson Control factory in Clackamas Oregon and batteries were coming down the line and stickers were being installed. The same battery was getting a Kirkland or Die Hard sticker depending on the orders being filled.

Our local Costco stores switched from Kirkland to Interstate brand but they are still the same battery. Johnson control makes excellent batteries and I would purchase any of the batteries listed above. Johnson Control does not sell any batteries under their own name.

Sears and Auto Zone usually have a large selection and threr is usually a store nearby.

I would avoid any batteries made by Exide
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I also am in need of a new battery, Im lookig at the Canadian Tire Nautilus AGM group 24 battery. Not cheap but good warranty and seem to be able to use almost as much power as a regular group 27 battery but at a lighter weight and smaller size.

Any one try this battery? Is my first timer thinking on the right track or out in left field?
Material Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I just bought an Interstate 27 from Costco in Idaho for $79, same as the original Casita ones.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery