BBQ (high heat) paint for stabilizing jacks on Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
BBQ (high heat) paint for stabilizing jacks on Scamp

Right now I have an electrical issue with my 1992 Scamp, so I'm turning my attention to my 2008 Deluxe which is in MUCH better operating condition and it takes my mind off the other trailer.

There's really not much to do on the 2008, so I'm looking around for projects for it and I noticed that the stabilizing jacks need a refresh.

I have a spray can of BBQ paint in flat black. Has anyone used this type of paint to refresh the jacks? I'll show a photo of one of the jacks below.

What would you suggest?
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 8.33.35 AM.jpg  

Old 02-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Right now I have an electrical issue with my 1992 Scamp, so I'm turning my attention to my 2008 Deluxe which is in MUCH better operating condition and it takes my mind off the other trailer.

There's really not much to do on the 2008, so I'm looking around for projects for it and I noticed that the stabilizing jacks need a refresh.

I have a spray can of BBQ paint in flat black. Has anyone used this type of paint to refresh the jacks? I'll show a photo of one of the jacks below.

What would you suggest?
Thank you.
Clean and degrease, do a bit of sanding or wire brushing to remove loose paint. Don't coat it too heavily or it won't slide in and out the way it should.

Pay attention to the ambient temperature outside so that you are not trying to paint when it is too cold. Pay attention to how long it needs to cure to be sure it has enough time to cure before it gets dark and also before the dew point sets in. Getting good results is about prep work and paying attention to the instructions for recommendations of what is needed for temperature and cure times.

I don't see any problem with using flat paint other than the dirt does not wash off as easily. Gloss paint has its advantages for letting water run off the surface more quickly. There is less surface tension on gloss paint versus flat paint. My preference is for gloss paint.

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #3

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Clean and degrease, do a bit of sanding or wire brushing to remove loose paint. Don't coat it too heavily or it won't slide in and out the way it should.

Pay attention to the ambient temperature outside so that you are not trying to paint when it is too cold. Pay attention to how long it needs to cure to be sure it has enough time to cure before it gets dark and also before the dew point sets in. Getting good results is about prep work and paying attention to the instructions for recommendations of what is needed for temperature and cure times.

I don't see any problem with using flat paint other than the dirt does not wash off as easily. Gloss paint has its advantages for letting water run off the surface more quickly. There is less surface tension on gloss paint versus flat paint. My preference is for gloss paint.
Thank you for the tips, I'll go to the hardware store and see what they have.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:03 AM   #4
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
If they are very rusty, I would go to Harbor Fright and get a can of Iron Armor Rust Converter, one of the few excellent products they sell. I would spray the jacks per the can’s instructions and let it cure prior to painting.
CPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #5

California
Registry
Thank you CPW, I didn't know about that product.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #6

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
There are several brands of rust converter on the market. Those that I have used have all worked well. Harbor freight has had the best price. They convert the rust to what was call gun black at one time so most are in black paint as a carrier otherwise they end up splotchy. Read the instructions. It only works on rust and it does not stop new rust any better than normal so if you sand to thoroughly it is a waist. An excellent product.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 I always start with rust converter, it turns black. Then top off with black paint of your choice. Myself I am brushing it on. More efficient paint wise, no overspray.

I restore vintage steel bikes, I have a rust regiment I go through including chemical treatment (retired Chemical Engineer). Then I use the rust converter. In this case I would just go with rust converter.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #8

California
Registry
Thank you all for the confirmation on the rust converter.

Tags
paint, scamp