Bearing Grease - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2003, 04:29 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bearing Grease

OK....we've put about 5K miles on our new rig. I need some help on using the buddy bearing grease system on the Casita. Anyone out there have suggestions? 2003 17' Casita SD. Any help is appreciated. jg in Houston

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 04:34 PM   #2

Hi Jim
Welcome to this forum.post lots and have fun.I have a Boler so can't help you,but one of our other members will come along and answere your questions.
:wave

Old 06-13-2003, 07:02 PM   #3

Just Say No! (To Bearing Buddies)

I recomend to not us bearing buddies on a trailer with brakes. This is because if the inside seal leaks, anytime you pump grease into the bearing buddy you will be pumping grease all over your brakes. :crying

It's much better to inspect your bearings periodically, and re-pack the bearings every year - or two if you like to live dangerously. :nono

-- Dan Meyer

Old 06-13-2003, 08:21 PM   #4

Eazy lube axel

Jim, your trailer has a grease fitting under the rubber cap on the hub nut cover, pop it off and you can use a grease gun and pump it up untill you see the grease start to come out from behind the nut.
I like to jack it up and spin the wheel as I am adding the grease, and it is a good time to adjust the brakes at this time. Don't forget to use a jack stan or some good blocks for safety.
Since you have 5K on your trailer I would repack the bearings and replace the seals, get parts from Dexter axel you should have the info that came with your trailer.
I will be doing my trailer in Augest before our big trip.
I use Sta lube Hi temp wheel bearing grease and have the same grease in my lube gun, don't mix the greases . Jay

Old 06-13-2003, 10:38 PM   #5

bearings

I think what Jim is referring to on the Casita as 'bearing buddy' is the grease zerk.

Bearing Buddies are a spring loaded thingie that keeps pressure on the seals thus keeping water out. Good for boat trailers without brakes. Casita doesn't use these.

The grease zerk is a handy way to keep em greased. Better than neglecting em. I give em a shot regularly.

Nothing better than removing, cleaning and repacking tho. :)

Old 06-14-2003, 08:12 AM   #6

Not a 'true' Buddy Bearing...

Don....you are right, these are not the true Buddy Bearing like the ones used on boat trailers. I guess I need to dig out the manual and see what the 'does and don't' are on this topic. We sure enjoy these small rigs. Anyone out there pull with a Tacoma V6?

Old 06-14-2003, 09:21 AM   #7

The Dexter axle manual lists several recommended brands of grease.

If you don't have the original manual, check-out their web-site. There's lost of literature there for axles and brakes.

www.dexteraxle.com

Old 06-14-2003, 11:59 AM   #8

Additionally, Dexter's instructions for the EZLube axle is to be spinning the jacked-up wheel while pumping the grease in order to ensure proper distribution.

Pete in the RatHaus

Old 06-21-2003, 07:25 AM   #9

Grease every one to two years, huh? as mine is 27 years old, (I've only had her for 9 months) I should probably go look at them. They might need some help - fast. :P

Old 06-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #10

Bearings

Jana;

Looks to me like you are going to have to do then 27 times now just to catch up.;) ;)