Belly Band Process Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #1

Name: Caitlin
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Belly Band Process Question

Hi there,

we planned on taking off our belly band on our trillium 1300 this summer, and stupidly decided to start it a week before we need to camp. My husband and I have read through all the threads on it here that would could find. He started grinding out the pop rivet plates last weekend and realised it was a bigger job than he was thinking.

So, he spent today learning more and buying the materials. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, and we leave next saturday.

Should we use tuck tape and plastic and stop now until the next time it's sunny and the trailer is home? Should we do the first layer of bondo tomorrow and try to get a first coat of the fibreglass to cover it before we leave? If we do that we also have to spend time tomorrow buying/building some kind of cover to be able to work in the rain - it's supposed to rain all week.

Does tuck tape take up the paint/gelcoat? Is there another waterproof alternative?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:33 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
There is an aluminum foil tape I have used with great success, that I found in the auto body repair section at an auto parts store. It's water proof and doesn't leave a mess like duct tape can when you remove it.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've used duct tape to isolate leaks. At one point I left it on for a few weeks. When I removed it, it came right off. The little residue that was left came off with Goo Gone. That said, we had a member report big problems with residue. In this case it hardened like concrete. We came to the conclusion the higher quality brands are best. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've found any job is going to take at least twice as much time as planned for, twice as much money as budgeted and at least 4-7 trips to the big box store for more/different supplies. It's Murphy's Law at its finest!

If you don't plan on leaving the tape on for very long, just about any surface tape will work. Make certain the area is dust free.

I hate cheap duct tape. I know the left over glue turned to concrete on me! But, I also left it on during high heat temperatures and for far too long. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
My brother once used tuck tape to mask his camper windows before paint. The tuck tape was impossible to completely remove, and was still there the day the camper sold. I would never let the sticky side of that stuff touch anything i didn't want it permanently affixed to. On a lighter note, the same brother dropped the pitcher from his blender on the ground, and the bottom broke off. He Tuck taped it back together, and has been blending with it for years!
willisworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
There is an aluminum foil tape I have used with great success, that I found in the auto body repair section at an auto parts store. It's water proof and doesn't leave a mess like duct tape can when you remove it.
Dave & Paula
This is what we did today. Thank you SO much everyone! Looks like we are going to have to wait for a sunny stretch to finish up the job. We are also buying a portable storage cover thingy to help out. Phew!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Catlin, It is a bit late to be chiming in, but the flood has been distracting. I have come to the conclusion that I could lay all the required fibreglass in one day. It is possible to get three applications per day. I would fill the depressions that the metal plates were in on the first application, then put strips over that in the second application. Then any low spots on the third. Then go camping. Grinding and finishing can wait, as long as it is water tight. No need to worry about getting it dirty, everything on the surface will be ground off later anyway. When I got my trailer to that point, which I have to admit took more then one day. The fact that I could camp in it that way occurred to me.
If you have applied the aluminum duct tap, I would recommend a quick grinding to get rid of the adhesive before continuing the belly band repair.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

British Columbia
Thanks David! We decided to put on the automotive waterproofing tape and focus on getting everything else ready for camping next week. My husband has never worked with fibreglass before so he wants to give himself plenty of time.

We've all been thinking of you all in AB, hope you're faring OK.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The flood has given me a new respect for my fellow Calgarians. 100,000 people evacuated, 1500 in the shelter. 98500 people receiving the hospitality of their neighbors. I love my city! We are now down to 10000 displaced.
Time is not a bad idea. In my thread on the subject, I estimated that it would take me 10 more days to finish glassing, but I was done two days later. It goes slow at first. I wanted to make small mistakes. But once you get the hang of it, you can lay down lots of glass at a time. The grinding was another two days. My neighbor said he could tell just by the sound that my sanding disk was worn out, but like I said, small mistakes. Now I am sanding in prep for paint, which will have to wait till I do another belly band. I will do four belly bands before I am done.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The flood has given me a new respect for my fellow Calgarians. 100,000 people evacuated, 1500 in the shelter. 98500 people receiving the hospitality of their neighbors. I love my city! We are now down to 10000 displaced.
Time is not a bad idea. In my thread on the subject, I estimated that it would take me 10 more days to finish glassing, but I was done two days later. It goes slow at first. I wanted to make small mistakes. But once you get the hang of it, you can lay down lots of glass at a time. The grinding was another two days. My neighbor said he could tell just by the sound that my sanding disk was worn out, but like I said, small mistakes. Now I am sanding in prep for paint, which will have to wait till I do another belly band. I will do four belly bands before I am done.
Thanks! I just sent that to my husband. It was your 10 day comment that through him for a loop haha. We will definitely get to it this summer, but not press ourselves too hard. I also hope to get it professionally painted this fall after the band is done.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Gaffers tape is good at coming off cleanly, with good hold and strength. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote