Best Butyl caulk? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
Best Butyl caulk?

I need to do some sealing on the trailer and on my house. For some of these applications I would use the rope style and other applications applying from a tube would work better.

Do any of you folks find that one brand is better than another? the BEST? I prefer to do these types of jobs once so I want to use the best product available.

Also, I have not found any stores in my area that have butyl caulk so if there are any on-line sources that any of you can recommend please share your experience.

As always, any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm interested, too. The big box stores used to carry butyl caulk next to the gutter parts, as it was used to glue eves troughs together. The stuff they sell there now is not identified as butyl.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'm interested, too. The big box stores used to carry butyl caulk next to the gutter parts, as it was used to glue eves troughs together. The stuff they sell there now is not identified as butyl.
I was told by my local Ace Lumber supply that Butyl caulk can no longer be sold in NY. They recommended Geocel Water Shield as a replacement. I used it to fill around some new cables for my inverter & while I don't have any long term results, it dried with a smooth skin & is still flexible after 3 months...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Is this what you're looking for? I can't give you a testimonial as I haven't opened mine yet. The only butyl caulk I've seen locally.

DAP Products - Caulks and Sealants - DAP® BUTYL-FLEX® Gutter & Flashing Sealant
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Is this what you're looking for? I can't give you a testimonial as I haven't opened mine yet. The only butyl caulk I've seen locally.

I sell Butyl Tape at Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post

That's the stuff. Now I just need to find a retailer.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
In the Hardware store world the item you are looking for is called "Vulcam" which is a tubed Butyl caulk designed for roof flashing sealant use. Any roofer can tell you where to buy it as they all use it.

I like the Dicor Lap Sealant line sold at RV places and it comes in 2 types.
One is a Self-Leveling that can only be used on flat horizontal surfaces as it is runny so it levels and the other is the same stuff but designed for vertical surfaces and somewhat less runny.

In my experience asking at every RV place I am in this is the stuff that they use.

Everywhere I have used some it has done exactly what is advertised,it just works.
Also it is white!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
I have not been able to find any butyl caulk at any local retail stores. While doing some internet searching I found this article about the different types of caulk: Making Sense of Caulks and Sealants - Fine Homebuilding Article

This article gave me a much better understanding of the various types of caulk. I decided to give the synthetic rubber Lexel a try in my house (around windows wood to masonry and around doors steel to masonry).

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote