Best way to remove old sealant on roof around fans and vents - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #21

Name: Murray
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Registry
3M Caulk Remover

Hi,

I haven't read every post but in my case, removing 40+ years of all kinds of caulk including silicone, I used 3M Caulk Remover to get the last bits of silicone off my fibreglass.

1974 Trillium 1300.

Murray
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Winnebago
Kentucky
You may have to remove some caulk, but on newer units I've just left the caulk in place and covered the caulk seam with 4" of Eternabond tape. Do it once and forget about it.
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 5th wheel
Maryland
Best solution

I just replaced a fan using a Multi-tool with a scraper blade. Literally took 10 minutes. It worked so well I didn’t need to use any solvents. If you don’t have one borrow or buy one, it’s a great tool to own!
Attached Images

rrobillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #24

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
If there is actually caulk, leaving it there is not the way to go. The vents and windows on fiberglass trailers should be sealed with butyl tape, then something like Dicor or Eternabond over the top. No caulk.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #25

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 5th wheel
Maryland
The scraper blade removes all the caulk, none left. When I installed new fan used tape followed by Dicor.
rrobillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #26

Name: Aday
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
A half dozen for $11.00 including standard first class shipping in mainland USA. If you want priority shipping instead let me know that so I can add the extra shipping cost to the bill. Invoicing can be done with Pay Pal which works because I can buy the postage through them too.

Just send me a pm if you want to do it that way. Anyone who want some scrapers is welcome to contact me. But not shipping outside of the USA at the moment. Just offering this to fellow FGRV owners who are stuck, oh excuse me, safe-at-home this spring without a lot of resources. I am not trying to start a business producing them in mass.
K Corbin-Tried to PM you, but I'm getting an error message saying you're not accepting PM. Please email me at sectday@aol.com. Thanks!
sectday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:47 PM   #27

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_3000 View Post
Also very good advice! Thank you for sharing. I didn't realize how much the fiberglass trailer world crossed over with the marine world
I buy most of my supplies at the Marine stores in Seattle. The nearest RV store is a 25 minute drive, the marine stores are just a few minutes away. Until a week ago a West Marine store was just a few steps away. I will miss the convenience of that but they are still in the neighborhood about 1 mile away.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #28

Name: Martin
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I buy most of my supplies at the Marine stores in Seattle. The nearest RV store is a 25 minute drive, the marine stores are just a few minutes away. Until a week ago a West Marine store was just a few steps away. I will miss the convenience of that but they are still in the neighborhood about 1 mile away.
Unfortunately West Maine closed all of their stores here. I think they pulled out of Canada entirely. Either way they closed up shop in my town. We do have other good marine supply places here seeing as I live on an island and surrounded by water but at the moment I am only able to call in and place orders then pick them up. No retail shopping in store.
Marty_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #29

Name: Rick
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B25FB
California
Registry
Look at YouTube
My RV wofks.Inc
He is out of port Angeles wa.
See his video on replacing and resealing RV roof vents.
You will be buying this tool soon. Unless you own one.
He has videos that every RVer needs to see.
You might never need a RV repairman again.
PS: RV acronym RICH VICTIM
Have fun learn lots
See ya!
Rick L. Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #30

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Harrison View Post
Look at YouTube
My RV wofks.Inc
He is out of port Angeles wa.
See his video on replacing and resealing RV roof vents.
You will be buying this tool soon. Unless you own one.
He has videos that every RVer needs to see.
You might never need a RV repairman again.
PS: RV acronym RICH VICTIM
Have fun learn lots
See ya!
He is using a Dremel MultiMax with a stiff scraper blade.

I have a MultiMax, But I would not consider it to be worth the $$ for a one time use just to remove old caulking when replacing a roof vent. But if you want to use one then I suggest you look on craigslist instead of buying a brand new one because people don't typically put a lot of wear and tear on this tool so they are likely to be in good condition. They do often end up being sold on places such as craigslist, facebook market place, etc as they just don't get used that often.

There quite a few brands of these. The keywords for your search are "multi tool"
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Harrison View Post
RV acronym RICH VICTIM
See ya!
Lol
We have had the odd
RUDE VISITOR