Best ways to lighten the load? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am looking at 16ft Scamps and Casitas. My truck is on the smallish side in horsepower even though the manufacturer's tow rating is more than adequate. My goal is to find the best way's to lighten the load.
Does anyone know the weights of items like the hot water heater, shower, big fridge vs small etc? Also what would you throw overboard and live without to get lighter?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Michael D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I find I use my hot water heater a lot. Makes washing dishes and my face fast and easy. I don't have the figure on weight of these items, but I never tow the trailer with water on board. The hot water heater is empty and gets filled at the destination. Water weighs 8.35 lb per gallon. If you have a six gallon hot water heater filled, that alone is right at 50 lbs. Add that to whatever you may have in the freshwater tank... or gray or black water tanks and you're towing a bunch of extra weight.

And, if I know I'll be camping near a town, I purposely delay buying (most) food until I get there. Helps the local economy too. It may be marginal, but the fuel savings in not towing extra weight such as water and food can offset the (perhaps) higher price of purchasing the food.

Works for me, YMMV

Depending on your camping style, you may wish to forgo the furnace and use a cube heater. In the summer you can leave that item at home and take a fan instead!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #3

Thanks Donna,

I'll look into the alternative heaters. Good idea to leave the food till last when possible. We are also trying to decide A/C or not for weight reasons. I have heard that it is essential in hot weather though. Although my truck is a weight weenie when it come to towing, I don't want to drop something I'll wish I had later.

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
What kind of truck is it????
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool

He said it was a weiner. Must be one of these:

Attached Thumbnails
360px_Wienermobile_NAIAS_2005.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Older 16 footers weight considerably less than newer. I have a 2007 17ft'er and there is a difference in the weight of the 1985 16ft'er I purchased first. Sorry don't know what it weighted but sure can tell the difference over the newer 17fter. Not that I think the 17ft'er weights all that much. But the older Casita was lighter. Personally for us there is nothing we would get rid of to lighten. That's why we bought what we bought, cause we like the options the 17ft'er offer. Why are you looking at 16ft versus say a 13 or 14 footer that has less frills which means less weight, yet are great little trailers? Are there more than 2 of you camping?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Diets don't seem to work. I'm on the 30 day diet and so far I've only lost 5days!!! Seriously there's only so many things you can omit after the trailer's hooked up to the tug and they might lose 1-200 lbs. Even a tank full of gas is weighty. Ready to travel our entire rig weighs 8700-8900lbs and the GCVW. rating for our tug is 9500lbs.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
bridge_to_PEI..jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 1977 13 ft Scamp
We've decided to ditch our fridge for extra storage and less weight. It's just the two of us and we think we can do just fine with a cooler. Just an idea.
Danielle Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:28 AM   #9

You think a fridge weights that much more than an ice chest with ice? It can't be that big of a difference can it? It would be interesting to know what a fridge weights full of supplies versus an ice chest with the same supplies and iced down.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
First it seems to me that Casita was heavier than Scamp
the choice of rv is important and the equipement that you want
Dont bring equipement that you dont use
Most time i travel in Canada, i use more often heater than Ac if i live in south i need more AC than heater i i carry small heater with one pound propane tank for no hook up campground
I use fridge, water heater and furnace and it is my comfort
What is the difference of weight with or without water heater, frige and furnace ?? may be maximun 150 pounds???
Choice the right rv , travel with empty water tank , bring one propane tank if you dont need two and carry only light beer
Yvon Chayer
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Choice the right rv , travel with empty water tank , bring one propane tank if you dont need two [b]and carry only light beer
Yvon Chayer
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
and carry only light beer
Yvon Chayer

Might add that if you take out your fridge and load an ice chest or several ice chest in your truck you may be only taking down your tow capacity. Cause most vehicles the weight you add in the tow vehicle ( people, gear, etc) takes down the amount of weight you can tow. You would have to read your owners manual to for it's guidelines. Best of Luck!
Old 11-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
One thing you can't change is wind resistance, which makes up most of the work your tug has to do when on level terrain. If your tug is marginally big enough as is, I suggest not bothering with reducing weight - it won't make enough of a difference. Get a bigger tow vehicle.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I have an intuitive idea that a fridge full of air displaced by some food is much lighter that the same capacity ice chest full of water displaced by the same amount of food.

IMHO
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #15

THANKS ALL,

The truck is a Nissan Frontier (190 horsepower). I'd get a 13' but it would get tight for the two of us plus 100 lbs of dog (a significant weight disadvantage). I'm pretty much stuck with the truck because the mileage is so high.

My dog would really like that weiner vehicle.

Mike
Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #16

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
You think a fridge weights that much more than an ice chest with ice? It can't be that big of a difference can it? It would be interesting to know what a fridge weights full of supplies versus an ice chest with the same supplies and iced down.

We just took a 3 way fridge unit out of our camper. I had to get it weighted to ship......before I put it in the shipping box I weighted it. It weighted 50(USA)pounds.We also took out the 2 burner gas stove with cover 10 pounds.Stainless steel sink with over & fauchest......another 10pounds(not counting plumping fixtures) 6.5(USA)gallon hot water heater...30pounds.

Still have the gray water tank and freash water tank for sale ...so I have not weighted them. maybe this will help you decide a little bit

Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
THANKS ALL,

The truck is a Nissan Frontier (190 horsepower). I'd get a 13' but it would get tight for the two of us plus 100 lbs of dog (a significant weight disadvantage). I'm pretty much stuck with the truck because the mileage is so high.

My dog would really like that weiner vehicle.

Mike
Well... if you can't 'trade up' to a more powerful tug, use what you have and realize that you might not be able to run at 60 per (or more) all day long. As long as the manufacturer has rated the vehicle to tow the weight, go ahead and go Scamping!

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 / 1990 Chevy S10 PU
Quote:
Thanks Donna,

I'll look into the alternative heaters. Good idea to leave the food till last when possible. We are also trying to decide A/C or not for weight reasons. I have heard that it is essential in hot weather though. Although my truck is a weight weenie when it come to towing, I don't want to drop something I'll wish I had later.

Thanks again,
Mike
Unless you are camping in low desert, I question if A.C. is a necessity. We spent a good amount of time in the high desert in the 70s and 80s and rarely used A.C. Generally the ceiling fan vent was more than adequate. Likewise along the Gulf Coast. A good Fantastic Fan or other high volume ceiling vent fan does a remarkable job of making the inside comfortable. Usually during the heat of day, you aren't inside anyway.
Eric Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I don't understand the problem. I have a similar sized, compact truck, also with 190 hp. I have absolutely no problem pulling my fully equipped, 17' EggCamper with all our supplies. In fact, the truck is rated at 5600 lbs; while that might be more than I'd want to pull, I wouldn't hesitate for a trailer up to 3500 lbs.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #20

Quote:
I don't understand the problem. I have a similar sized, compact truck, also with 190 hp. I have absolutely no problem pulling my fully equipped, 17' EggCamper with all our supplies. In fact, the truck is rated at 5600 lbs; while that might be more than I'd want to pull, I wouldn't hesitate for a trailer up to 3500 lbs.
I wonder if Mike's has the same tow cap. If so most 16/17 ft'ers would work. Of course with a 100 pound dog along that will decrease his tow cap a bit! LOL...............

That being said, ID has more mountains to conquer than FL so even though you can pull your EggCamper with ease, he may face a few more challenges when driving to their favorite camp spot. But it should still be do-able, though maybe a little less get up and go.