bicycle rack - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #21

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
No, you're seeing is correct; just click on the pic to enlarge. I can even disconnect the tailer with the hitch on; however I usually remove it first.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
No, you're seeing is correct; just click on the pic to enlarge. I can even disconnect the tailer with the hitch on; however I usually remove it first.
That's what I thought- unfortunately, the O.P.'s vehicle is unlikely to be able to carry the extra weight there. That setup probably weighs at least two hundred pounds loaded (hitch/carrier/bikes), am I right?

That wouldn't leave him much if any tongue weight capacity....maybe that's why he's inquiring about carrying them on the back of the trailer!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #23

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Francesca,
Don't know, I never did the math. All I can tell you is I use the set up on both my Honda Pilot and my Ford Ranger; both 6 cyl. with no problem. It pulls easy, even on the Western NC mountains.
George
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #24

Name: Rick
Trailer: In the Market
Older heavier mountain bikes are only up to 40 pounds each. Most are around 30 or less. Spend more, weigh less.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #25

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If it was me, I would install a rear receiver to put the bike rack in, and load the trailer accordingly.

My second option would be to just throw them inside.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yes, it is designed to carry the load. I would imagine that if properly installed by either welding or bolting onto the frame, this could be done in a proper way for most trailers.

Definitely would not do a bumper mount.

Rooftop would be a good consideration, but we often have a canoe on top. Plus, when not using the trailer, a hitch mount bike carrier is way better than rooftop. The rooftop ones really increase wind resistance, and there have been many incidences where owners forgot about them and struck something overhead. Though, on the rear of a trailer one does have to remember they are there when reversing into a site. I know I forgot a couple times and came close to smooshing them.

Jim,
I'd like to point out that there's a huge difference between a 19' trailer and a 13' trailer when it comes to weight and adding weight to read. A hundred pounds added hanging out the back of 13' trailer changes the towing dynamics a lot more than it does on 19' or even a 16' trailer.