Bigfoot 17 remodeling ?'s - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #21

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
I just framed up a mock up of what a regular twin would be like in the space. I think it will work. I mostly sleep on my side, and there is enough room for that. Because the wall only sticks out 24", there are 15" left open at the foot for overhang, in the event I want to lie on my stomach. Not as good as an x-long twin with no wall at the foot, but I think it may be good enough considering what a pain in the ass the wall replacement and the getting/making an x-long mattress and frame would be.
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (B17STD)
After taking mine apart to fix the ceiling I got fairly good idea of what they were doing, in the construction, of the trailers. I know they made improvements in later models, but in mine I wouldn't change much if at all possible. The single biggest weakness I can find is the glue, that holds the fiberglass/foam/paneling, but to be honest I can't think of a better one for the application. The glue/contact cement works well unless it gets water coming in.

A trailer is a bit of a compromise, I never thought I would be comfortable in such a small bed or space. After staying in it I realized it was a well thought out design. I could actually live in it for extended periods of time and it has less square footage than my bathroom at home. Luckily I'm a bit shorter than you at 5'8", so I don't think I have really answered anything. I do think you can make some changes but first I would see if you can get away with what you have. Set a regular mattress in it and sleep in it a few nights, you might find it okay. I started looking for the trailer as I thought I could leave the bed set up all the time, which I can but like to make it back into the gaucho so I have the floor space, so to me the important thing is to get new cushions, for added comfort not the mattress I thought I would want at first.
Daryl R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #23

Wisconsin
Not a bad idea to leave some or all of the bed framing, now that I'm thinking of keeping the wall, but that ship has already sailed. I have already torn out everything except the wall, kitchen and bathroom. Also, I can't really test sleep as the trailer sits in a storage lot miles from my apartment, winterized. I even have to do some of the woodworking elsewhere and haul in partially completed work to install it.

The gaucho would have been no good to me, as it is too small to serve as a couch. Neither I nor my dog would be comfortable on it. By contrast, the Ikea Beddinge that I'm putting in the front has an 80" long and 27" wide seating area. Each slab of cushion is sprung like a mattress, so it also serves as a spare bed, so if I really want 80" length for some reason, I can always sleep on the couch.

Now that I'm thinking regular twin, I'll probably get/make a slatted frame and mattress from Ikea as well. I will keep the new cabinetry below a few inches back from the full bed width for more foot space. And I'll be reclaiming about 10" times most of the trailer width in added floor space up front from the dinette
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Did you actually take out the cabinetry i.e. above the kitchen and over the dinnette? Your first post seems to imply that.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #25

Wisconsin
No, I probably misstated. I only took out the gaucho + closet, dinette and bunk/shelf thing above the gaucho.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #26

Wisconsin
New Diagrams

Here are the current diagrams:
Attached Thumbnails
topweb.jpg   side1web.jpg  

side2web.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #27

Trailer: Bigfoot
Bigfoot remodel

Have you contacted Mark Holmes, see http://www.holmesonbigfoot.com
He has been very helpful to me for Bigfoot repairs.
R&SGove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #28

Wisconsin
Thanks. I talked to the guy at the Bigfoot factory that is in charge of designing and manufacturing their trailers. He said the structure does help, but did not make it sound as vital as Daryl R does above.

I called because I might have to tow it over 1,000 miles before rebuilding the inside. I wanted to know if I needed to make temporary framing to simulate the old structure to keep the trailer from getting damaged during the trip. He said the upper cabinets and wall are the most important parts, as the bottom is supported from resting right on the frame. He didn't think it was necessary for me to put in temporary supports for the trip, but the lack of structures could end up being a problem for rougher use, like people heavily using the inside or rough roads or something, I guess.

I also wanted to know if there were a lot of those 1x3 "studs" in the walls and how to find them, but he said there are only a few in the ceiling near the opening, to help support AC units. The rest is just 1/8" paneling glued to the fiberglass.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #29

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I don't think you'll have any problem at all if the AC unit is not installed on the roof. Will you be towing it with the AC installed?

Regards,

Matt
Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #30

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I don't think you'll have any problem at all if the AC unit is not installed on the roof. Will you be towing it with the AC installed?

Regards,

Matt
No. I'll install the AC after the trip, and I guess I'll wait until after I replace the bunk/shelf and closet, which are the only upper parts now missing.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Ken,

thinking about doing something similar to our 17ft BF, pulling out the shower/bath though and putting a bed across the back. Pulling out the oven, shifting the side kitchen forward and converting the front dinette/twin bed to a two person dinette.

Would be interested in seeing/hearing how you made out in the end?

Dave
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #32

Wisconsin
That sounds like a good plan. My renovation is on hold and has been for about 3 months. Outside is just about finished. Inside, I'm stuck at the stage of having most of the new structures designed and framed out. I'm hemorrhaging money on several rental houses and won't be able to do anything but work on them for at least another month or two.

Tags
bigfoot