Bigfoot 175g bunk? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Lil Bigfoot / 2001 Xterra
Bigfoot 175g bunk?

Hi guys,

Sounds like we might be upgrading from our beloved Lil Bigfoot into a 17 footer. We've got 2 small kids (7 & 12) thus the question...

Do the newer (2500) series 17' gaucho bigfoots have a bunk above the couch? I see the older ones typically do...but man oh man those newer models are nice!

Any other suggestions in the 17' range for a family of four? Tow vehicle is a 2001 Nissan Xterra, the trailer will mainly be parked at our newly acquired riverfront annual site...although road trips are still going to happen
Peter DBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I'm not sure if there is a bunk over the newer models or not. Most of the interior pictures I've seen of the newer 17's seem to have upper L-shaped upper cabinets over the sofa area, so they don't look like they have a bunk. Maybe it was an option?
Just another thought a little OT - the newer ones weigh a lot more than the older models... The X-terra is very similar to my Frontier, and although it tows the 17' just fine, I don't think I would be comfortable towing much more weight.
What floor plan is your 13'? I'm always on the look out for a front dinette model....
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Lil Bigfoot / 2001 Xterra
My lil' Bigfoot has the big dinette in the back with the small convertible dinette (bunks) up front.

I searched bunks and saw that you had talked a while ago about modifying your 17 bunk to hold more weight...how did that work out? I'm trying to figure out what trailer will comfortably sleep our 2 kid family...it's quite tough to find one when you're towing capacity is limited to 5000lbs (and that just the technical limit...I'm trying to keep it around 4000 Max).
Peter DBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter DBK View Post
I searched bunks and saw that you had talked a while ago about modifying your 17 bunk to hold more weight...how did that work out?
It worked out well! I put a boat ladder under one end and that's all it really needed - gave my son a place to climb up, and the open end of the bunk sits on top of it, taking some of the load to the floor instead of all on the walls. The install is removable, so it can be put away if we want more room, but I usually leave it up all the time. My son is now 5' and 110 lbs. I think we'll still use it this year (as long as he doesn't hit the roof and wake me up all night long). I also know some other people with the same trailer, and they sometimes sleep an adult on the bunk without any mods and no problems.

Ladder/support details here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post102034
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot