Bigfoot 25RQ 9 Month Update - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #1

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Colorado
Bigfoot 25RQ 9 Month Update

Hi All: This forums been very helpful to me so I thought it would be useful to others to hear about our experience with our new Bigfoot 25 RQ that was delivered in January.

--- Towing it !
We have an f150 350 Turbo with the max trailer towing package.
Absolutely now problems towing this up and down the I70 grade over the rockies through the eisenhower tunnel, up over vail pass etc.
Went down some bigger longer grades near delores Colorado (8% - 9%) downgrades) and still no problems but brakes got a bit hot so stopped for those to kool a bit.

-- Towing hitch
started with an equalizer: switched to a weight-safe weight distributing hitch - much much better and easier to adjust.

-- Solar !
We have a 2000 watt MPPT inverter / charger from GoPower, and two 250 amp / h LiFE phosphate batteries, and three 190 watt go power solar panels up top. Batteries and inverter are under the dinnette area on the side by the door.

-- other items:
We use a southwire surge gaurd for shore power hookups - very happy with this unit. I replaced the temperature control for the heater with a digital unit,
I added a valveahead of the blacktank to ensure no leakage when removing the cap.

Observations:
The weigh safe hitch makes it much easier to adjust the hitch - a big improvement over the equializer.

Solar setup is great for us - even with multiple days of clouds we still get enough charge to cover our furnace or general electricity usage.

Fridge: to get it to proper temperature use propane. Once there can hold with ac power. We can run our fridge all day on ac from natteries: if there is sun our solar panels keep up and there is no dischare to our batteries. When driving durign the day we can run the fridge on ac with no battery drain.

Warmth: our first trip was to jackson hole in winter: about 5 below zero.
We were toasty warm in the bigfoot - great heater and well insulated trailer.

Quality of Bigfoot;
Its not perfect and there are some places where I would have built it differently but all in all much better than other brands we looked at. It has held up well.

There you have it. I learned a lot from the forums. Feel free to ask questions if you have any about our setup. We are very happy thus far with the f150/bigfoot system.
jackmerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #2

Name: Gnuu
Trailer: Sprinter
Virginia
Question on your very useful advice

Towing hitch
started with an equalizer: switched to a weight-safe weight distributing hitch - much much better and easier to adjust.

## Picture, brand and model, what does “weight-safe” mean? ##

-- Solar !
We have a 2000 watt MPPT inverter / charger from GoPower, and two 250 amp / h LiFE phosphate batteries, and three 190 watt go power solar panels up top. Batteries and inverter are under the dinnette area on the side by the door.

## Are the “h LiFE phosphate batteries”
## Lithium iron phosphate batteries?
## Which brand?
## Do you have pictures of how and where they were installed in the Bigfoot?You mentioned “under the dinette area”

-- other items:
We use a southwire surge guard for shore power hookups - very happy with this unit. I replaced the temperature control for the heater with a digital unit,
I added a valve ahead of the black tank to ensure no leakage when removing the cap.

## Where did you install the SouthWire Surge protector?
## Pictures please ?
## Were you able to find an electrician to install it or did you do it yourself?
## Which v
## Brand valve did you install? Where did you install it?
## Pictutes please?

Observations:
The weigh safe hitch makes it much easier to adjust the hitch - a big improvement over the equializer.

Solar setup is great for us - even with multiple days of clouds we still get enough charge to cover our furnace or general electricity usage.

## Did BIGFOOT install the Solar Panels and batteries
## or did you have someone else do it?

Fridge: to get it to proper temperature use propane. Once there can hold with ac power. We can run our fridge all day on ac from natteries: if there is sun our solar panels keep up and there is no dischare to our batteries. When driving during the day we can run the fridge on ac with no battery drain.
## Thank you for the tip.

Warmth: our first trip was to jackson hole in winter: about 5 below zero.
We were toasty warm in the bigfoot - great heater and well insulated trailer.

## On insulation, We have read that Thinsulate adds greatly to the warmth of a trailer or va. Is there room on the Bigfoot to add an inch or two?

Quality of Bigfoot;
Its not perfect and there are some places where I would have built it differently but all in all much better than other brands we looked at. It has held up well.

## Thank you for the tip.
## Scribe With A Stylus
ScribeWithAStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #3

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Colorado
Followup questions

## Picture, brand and model, what does “weight-safe” mean? ##

Typo- its weigh-safe. They make great hitches. Just google them

## Are the “h LiFE phosphate batteries”
## Lithium iron phosphate batteries?
## Which brand?
## Do you have pictures of how and where they were installed in the Bigfoot?You mentioned “under the dinette area”

lithium iron phosphate batteries: the whole setup is goPower.

I dont have a photo but this all fits under the seat in the front dinette area near the front door - maybe a 3foot by 3 foot area. Contains the inverter/charger/controller, busbar, batteries.
In very hot weather this can get too hot and the inverter/charger will shut down but I have only had that happen under extreme use of the inverter and only one time. Normally not a problem, even at 100 degrees.

## Where did you install the SouthWire Surge protector?
## Pictures please ?
## Were you able to find an electrician to install it or did you do it yourself?
## Which v
## Brand valve did you install? Where did you install it?
## Pictutes please?

The southwire is a portable unit - google is your friend. The model we bought was about 250-300. pricey but well worth it as its saved us at a couple of bad shore power sites.

## Did BIGFOOT install the Solar Panels and batteries
## or did you have someone else do it?

I could have done this myself but it was easier to have the dealer do it as they do these all day long. I was aware of what they were doing - they kept me informed before they proceeded and I cleared the specifics of the work. No problems/issues thus far.

## On insulation, We have read that Thinsulate adds greatly to the warmth of a trailer or va. Is there room on the Bigfoot to add an inch or two?

I dont believe the bigfoot really needs more insulation except in a couple of spots. The bedroom can get a bit colder than the rest of the trailer but not enough to be a problem. If its comfortable at -10 F (the lowest temp that I have had it at so far) and nothing freezes then all is well.
jackmerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:03 PM   #4

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
What sort of gas mileage do you get towing through the mountains on I-70?

Thanks
Ed
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Shopping for Bigfoot
Maryland
How is your F150 equipped? Super crew cab or regular cab? What is the max payload capacity? We are trying to decide on F150 vs F250 when we receive our new 25RQ next year. Did you purchase from TW Denver? Your setup sounds very similar to our order. Do you use anything to boost internet access?
SteveCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCS View Post
How is your F150 equipped? Super crew cab or regular cab? What is the max payload capacity? We are trying to decide on F150 vs F250 when we receive our new 25RQ next year. Did you purchase from TW Denver? Your setup sounds very similar to our order. Do you use anything to boost internet access?

Steve,

I may be able to help you there if you are considering purchase a '21 or '22 model pickup:
Go with the F-250 with the 7.3L gasoline motor. It will come with the 10 speed automatic transmission.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #7

Name: Dale
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
California
Glad you are happy with your F150/25RQ combination. It is a perfect setup in my experience. We have had our 2016 25 RQ and 2015 F150 3.5EB, supercab, Lariat 4x4 now since ordering both to our specifications with no towing issues.

For the enquiring mind the properly equipped F150 is plenty adequate. An F250 is overkill and the 3.5 EB is plenty of hp and torque. But if an F 250 gives you more security then of course, a heavy duty will always feel more stable than a 1/2 ton.
Our F150 has a towing rating of 11,900 snd payload of 1952. Plenty for the 25RQ.

We have towed the I 70 grades out of Denver and Desth Valley is quite a haul. Have never overheated the brakes using tow haul and finessing the brakes. Do have to take it easy climbing as the power fools you snd can overheat if not careful. Watch the boost and temp when climbing.

Mileage varies depending on speed and wind and climbing, but our range for 65 freeway driving is 8-12, just depends on conditions and how heavy my foot is.
damueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #8

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
You'll want to look at the truck-specific payload on the F150 for the 25RQ. Even more so than other half-tons, there's a massive range of real-world payloads as configured. Anywhere from under 1200lbs to over 2500lbs.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:20 PM   #9

California
Quote:

My intent is not to blast the F 250. It would be an excellent choice also. I started looking at F250s with the 6.2 gas but I wanted a supercab and 6.5 bed. There were only two with that configuration in the whole state of California. That was in 2015 before the super duties were updated to the new F-150 body and amenities. When I figured out I was going to have to order to get what I wanted, the F150 became the obvious choice, for me, in the categories of comfort, safety options, and power with the 3.5EB being superior to the gas engines at the time.

The newer F250 with the 7.3 is a worthy substitute for the 3.5 EB and the cabs and amenities have caught up with the F150. Drive them both and decide for yourself.

FYI Both F150 and 250 have the 10 speed transmission. My “old” F 150 has the 6 speed and has performed superbly.

You won’t go wrong with either choice.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #10

Name: John
Ohio
Weigh-safe

What is your tongue weight on your Bigfoot and do you have the extended box and a generator? My older truck has a tow capacity of 8500 and a payload of 1850
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Shopping for Bigfoot
Maryland
Our BF is on order. No generator or extended box. We need a Super Crew Cab and 4X4. Prefer the short bed if possible. Having trouble finding a light duty truck with payload capacity over 1700 lbs.
SteveCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #12

Ohio
I have a supercab rwd (2004) that has I think the minimum payload. If I could afford it Id get a f250 or the thew Tundra RWD and extend cab. I don't need the seats. I suspect you'll need a hd truck
Old 11-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #13

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Our BF is on order. No generator or extended box. We need a Super Crew Cab and 4X4. Prefer the short bed if possible. Having trouble finding a light duty truck with payload capacity over 1700 lbs.
Stay with an F150 XLT and you should have no problems. The payload on our Extended Cab, 2015 F150 XLT, 6.5' bed, with max tow was 1930 #'s. The payload on our Quad Cab 2019 F150 Lariat with 6.5' bed is about 1750 #'s. We lost 200 #'s of payload going from a XLT to the Lariat.

We had no problems pulling our 25' RQ with the 2015 XLT. Our tongue weight was about 950 pounds, with a total weight of 6,300 pounds.

There is a huge difference between a light duty F150 and a heavy duty F150.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #14

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Stay with an F150 XLT and you should have no problems. The payload on our Extended Cab, 2015 F150 XLT, 6.5' bed, with max tow was 1930 #'s. The payload on our Quad Cab 2019 F150 Lariat with 6.5' bed is about 1750 #'s. We lost 200 #'s of payload going from a XLT to the Lariat.

We had no problems pulling our 25' RQ with the 2015 XLT. Our tongue weight was about 950 pounds, with a total weight of 6,300 pounds.

There is a huge difference between a light duty F150 and a heavy duty F150.

Enjoy,

Perry
Thanks Perry, by the way did the converter work out for you ?
Old 11-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #15

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Quote:
We tow our new 25RT with a Ford Expedition, 4x4, heavy duty tow package. 1,716# cargo carrying capacity. 700# tongue weight per my Sherline tongue weight scale. No generator, no extended front cargo box.
It’s a great tow vehicle for those, like us, who have no need for a truck.
The Expedition is essentially an F150 with a different body. 9,200# tow rating.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #16

California
If your asking me, my tongue weight is 750-1000 depending. I carry two Honda generators in the pickup bed. It is a lariat with 1950 # payload. The xlt vs lariat payload issue is a myth. Depends on how you order them.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #17

Ohio
All good information
Old 11-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Back when you could still get things I ordered my F-150 with Max tow and Max haul. It is a XLT regular cab 8 foot bed 2WD. I wanted an F-150 that could tow anything that I might decide to buy. This will probably be my last truck.

The tow rating is around 13000#
The haul is 3049#

This is the door sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
weight.png  
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #19

Ohio
Yes that is quite a hauler. Thanks for the info. I’m not worried about my existing truck at this point. It’ll get replaced down the line . Looks like my Bigfoot will likely be delivered in July
Old 03-30-2022, 06:00 AM   #20

Name: Ted
Trailer: 2023 Bigfoot 25B25RQ Twin Bed
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmerado View Post
Quality of Bigfoot;
Hello,

We just joined this forum because we're considering a 2022 Bigfoot 25' RBT model. Would you mind expanding on what specific areas you would improve on the Bigfoot?
Are there any known issues with the newest model years?

Thank you!
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot