Bigfoot power needs?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Great batteries, Mike, but look like over $300 each?
The list price is $320 USD. I paid about $100 less for each. Shipping was UPS and cost $15. Over the life of the batteries, they end up costing less than lead acid.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Mike,
What charger/conveter do you use for your AGM batteries? Personally, I would have a batteries ventilation system for any lead acid batteries even AGM. AGM batteries can unlikely but possibly generate hydrogen if charging voltage is too high.
George.
I have an [b]INTELI-POWER 9100 SERIES with a [b]Charge Wizard to charge my two [b]GPL-4CT RV

I contacted Lifeline about the Wizard. Here is what they said:
<blockquote><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">I just hung up the phone with the Progressive Dynamics service tech and he explained how the charger works. It works perfectly for our batteries. The charge wizard is a great feature for the charger. If you have any other questions please let me know.</span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Thank You</span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Justin Godber</span>
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Lifeline Batteries</span>
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">955 N. Todd Avenue</span>
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Azusa, Ca. 91702</span>
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Tel - 626-969-6886 x 221</span>
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Tel - 800-527-3224 (Inside USA)</span>
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Fax - 626-969-8566</span>
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">www.lifelinebatteries.com</span>
</span>
</blockquote>
Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
So, from a solar power perspective, it isn't how much my battery stores that limits my electric capacity, it's how little solar electricity my panel pumps out on a dreary winter day that sets my electrical limits.

--Peter
I love gadgets and have always wanted solar but I almost always camp in the woods. From what I've read, getting the panel's rated solar output depends on pointing it at (perpendicular) and being completely in the sun. I'm disinclined to spend time chasing the sunny spots around my camp site. I'm just under 45 degrees north latitude which means the sun only gets to about 68 degrees above the horizon (mid summer's day). Plus, for my location (midwest) we're not exactly blessed with an overabundance of sunny summer days. (There are charts for this). Even fewer, percentage-wise, during the winter. Although with the leaves gone I suppose I'd have better access to the sun.

So far I haven't been able to justify solar. No doubt it would be better than nothing getting even something back into the battery but it hasn't yet crossed some personal, ill defined threshold yet.

I like this site for solar basics. It has seasonal expectations for hours of direct sunlight, intensity, etc.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #24

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Steve, all of that is "Best practice", but in the great scheme of things, in a real set up out in the wilds, just tilting the thing at about 45 degrees and pointing it in the direction of the sun works just fine for charging an RV battery. No sweating and calculation are truly necessary.

Remember, a lot of folks plop these things on their roof and forget about them.. they don't move their rig all day to get better sun exposure for their panels.

I move mine when I think about it, but don't fret over it most times. It only takes a second, and I certainly don't have alarms going off telling me it's time to adjust the panel.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Mike,

Personally, I would have a batteries ventilation system for any lead acid batteries even AGM. AGM batteries can unlikely but possibly generate hydrogen if charging voltage is too high.

George.
+++++++++++++++++++

My 96 Bigfoot 17G had two 50 watt panels with 3 - 12 volt batteries. One was on the tongue while the other two were in a custom built wooden box, situated under the settee, right side, vented to the outdoors. Mike, I have a PD Intellipower, but I don't think it came with a charge wizard - I wonder if it was an add-on, or if Bigfoot did not mention that it included the Charge Wizard. I will need to check this out.
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #26

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
+++++++++++++++++++

My 96 Bigfoot 17G had two 50 watt panels with 3 - 12 volt batteries. One was on the tongue while the other two were in a custom built wooden box, situated under the settee, right side, vented to the outdoors. Mike, I have a PD Intellipower, but I don't think it came with a charge wizard - I wonder if it was an add-on, or if Bigfoot did not mention that it included the Charge Wizard. I will need to check this out.
I believe that the newer Intellipower converters have Charge Wizard built in.

http://www.bestconverter.com/9200-Series_c_84.html.

I decided to get Xantrex http://www.bestconverter.com/XADC-80A-ConverterCharger_p_115-244.html which should fit (according to very helpful folks from BestConverter) into PPS 7300 converter which comes with Bigfoot.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
... No sweating and calculation are truly necessary....
What? Well, what's the point then??
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
When it comes to solar panels, I am reminded that "Perfect is the enemy of Good".

Mike, I like your AGMs; typical AGMs have fewer amp-hours than the LA batteries of the same size but yours are right up there with the Trojan T105 golf cart batteries.

My reservation about AGM vs LA is that if anything happens to an AGM (stolen or whatever), one is out a lot of money for the replacement. Having them inside is good.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #29

Quote:
I believe that the newer Intellipower converters have Charge Wizard built in.

George.
Thanks George. I will have to check to see if Bigfoot installed the 9200 series in my unit.

Rick
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #30

In getting ready for the coming soon Bigfoot 21RB I am almost done with getting all goodies to be installed. I found a good buy for the Digital Sine Inverter from Inverter-R-Us. I think the dealer is the US sales arm for the Korean Manufacturing Company. This 1500W will power my Microwave, all outlets, and perhaps fluorescent lights. I decided to go with Sine versus the Modified Sine inverter to eliminate all potential issues with the Modified Sine one. TI is coming up with an Integrator Circuit for Digital Inverters sometime this year and I think Inverter-R-Us is purging their inventory in preparation for the TI based unit. Inverter-R-Us is considering this model as their bestseller. http://www.invertersrus.com/pwrig150012s.html

George.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #31

Quote:
In getting ready for the coming soon Bigfoot 21RB I am almost done with getting all goodies to be installed. I found a good buy for the Digital Sine Inverter from Inverter-R-Us. I think the dealer is the US sales arm for the Korean Manufacturing Company. This 1500W will power my Microwave, all outlets, and perhaps fluorescent lights.

George.
George, if you are having a generator installed, why would there be a need for a 1500w inverter? Is the generator power not clean enough for the electronics?

Curious

Rick
Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #32

Quote:
George, if you are having a generator installed, why would there be a need for a 1500w inverter? Is the generator power not clean enough for the electronics?

Curious

Rick
Good point Rick,

I think that Onan Generator is clean enough for electronics but it could be too loud for quiet hours even with sound proof enclosure. So, I will use inverter when generator will be too obnoxious for others and likely for us as well. But the key reason is that I am retired and like projects, quite enjoyable, more of hands on continuation of my professional life.

George.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #33

Quote:
+++++++++++++++++++

The Charge Wizard is under $30 and is an easy add on (plugs in) to the 9100.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Thanks George. I will have to check to see if Bigfoot installed the 9200 series in my unit.

Rick
If Bigfoot is using the same converter on 25' as on 21' than you likely will have Parallax Power Converter http://www.parallaxpower.com/7300/7300pwrcntr.pdf PPS 7300 is truly just a converter with single voltage. It will boil off water from your batteries when they fully charged. There are few options to convert this unit to intelligent converter/charger. Most of folks use Intellipower which can fit directly into 7300 lower converter compartment. http://home.earthlink.net/~whemme/

I decided to use new Xantrex in lieu of 7300 because

1. I have experience with Xantrex

2. Cooling air flow of the unit fits better then Intellipower into PPS 7300. http://www.bestconverter.com/MagnetekParallax-to-Xantrex_ep_20-1.html

George.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #35

Quote:
If Bigfoot is using the same converter on 25' as on 21' than you likely will have Parallax Power Converter
George.
++++++++++++++

I had hoped that mine had either the 9100 or 9200 Intellipower, so will have to go have a look. I recall that the 25 ft Bigfoot series have a 60 amp 'dc power converter (c/s battery charger)', while other Bigfoot models have the 45 amp units. Mike has an Intellipower, so perhaps mine is the same.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #36

Quote:
I had hoped that mine had either the 9100 or 9200 Intellipower, so will have to go have a look. I recall that the 25 ft Bigfoot series have a 60 amp 'dc power converter (c/s battery charger)', while other Bigfoot models have the 45 amp units. Mike has an Intellipower, so perhaps mine is the same.
++++++++++++++

Checked tonight and mine is the 9100 series, so I can buy a charge wizard.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #37

Quote:

http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pro...l.cfm/pid/1595
Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #38

Quote:
++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++

Despite the booklet in the trailer (9100 series), I removed the drawer under the fridge today and found that mine converter is a 45 amp 9200 series, with the built in charge controller. The Bigfoot brochure for 2007 indicates that the 25 footer has a 60 amp unit. photo attached

Attached Thumbnails
Intellipower_9245.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #39

I wonder why they put a smaller one in.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #40

Quote:
++++++++++++++++

Despite the booklet in the trailer (9100 series), I removed the drawer under the fridge today and found that mine converter is a 45 amp 9200 series, with the built in charge controller. The Bigfoot brochure for 2007 indicates that the 25 footer has a 60 amp unit. photo attached
If your unit is 08 then Bigfoot has not updated their brochure nor their web site for 2008 yet. Perhaps this is a Bigfoot's change for 2008. For charging 27 series, about 105 amphour battery 45 AMP charging current is more than sufficient.

George.

Tags
bigfoot