Bigfoot storage? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #1

Name: dirtsurfer
Trailer: In the market
Portland
Bigfoot storage?

I'm receiving a new Bigfoot '17 trailer, very excited. Unfortunately, I don't have room to store it at my home, so I'm looking for a place to park it when it's not in use. This being my first fiberglass trailer, I'm interested in the need for finding covered storage, vs an outdoor lot to store it at (which is a LOT more common).

These trailers are spendy, and I plan to keep it for a long time, so I want to do what's needed to keep it watertight and in good condition, but the delta (price and location) between covered vs open begs the question...

Appreciate your considered input here!!!!
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Covered storage will protect your trailer for a long time. The weather does a lot of wear and tear to even FG trailers, any plastic parts will age quickly (think plumbing vents, roof vent, refrigerator vent, any plastic access hatches (like for the shore power cord), etc.) I met another Escape owner in CO last year, we both had Escape 19s. Mine is a 2013, theirs a 2014. They asked what I used to polish mine to get it so shiny. I told them it had never been polished. Then I went to look at theirs, wow was it weathered and oxidized. Difference? Mine always stored under a carport, theirs sits out in their yard in Illinois.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #3

Name: dirtsurfer
Trailer: In the market
Portland
Thanks, this is what I was worried about...
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer View Post
I'm receiving a new Bigfoot '17 trailer, very excited. Unfortunately, I don't have room to store it at my home, so I'm looking for a place to park it when it's not in use. This being my first fiberglass trailer, I'm interested in the need for finding covered storage, vs an outdoor lot to store it at (which is a LOT more common).

These trailers are spendy, and I plan to keep it for a long time, so I want to do what's needed to keep it watertight and in good condition, but the delta (price and location) between covered vs open begs the question...

Appreciate your considered input here!!!!
Congradulations on you new trailer. Use it in the Best of Health!

Bigfoots are my fiberglass trailers of choice.

I'm assuming you will be renting space in a RV storage facility.

What's of prime importance is security. You want a secure location, that has security cameras and personal. You want the facility located in a safe part of town. You should not worry about your personal safety when visiting the facility.

Convenience is important as well. You want a facility located within easy access to a highway and your house. You want to experience minimal traffic, travel time & hassle when visiting your trailer.

A covered facility is best for cities that have cold, snowy winters - and hail storms. If you're not located in an area subjected to extreme temperatures and cold, you can leave it outdoors. You need to consider rental savings, if any, of an indoor vs outdoor facility, the location of the indoor and outdoor facilities, and security arrangements.

If you choose an outdoor facility, the fiberglass shell will then be exposed to sunlight. So you need to purchase and use a trailer cover.

A word about covers: make sure the trailer is clean and dry. Otherwise, dirt will rub against the cover material and scratch the gelcoat. So, when you get "home" hose off and clean the trailer with something non-abasive (i.e. Borax) and make sure it is dry before putting on the cover. If you're concerned about mildew growing in humid weather, treat it annually with a fiberglass mildew protection product from a Marine boat shop.

Good luck, and happy camping!

Tags
bigfoot