Biggie needs Buffing.....but what about this white 'oxidation' on the window frames? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Nik

Name: Nik
Trailer: BigFoot
Colorado
Wink Biggie needs Buffing.....but what about this white 'oxidation' on the window frames?

My 1990 Bigfoot needs a polishing. It's not in bad shape, but I want to protect it and see it shine. And I look forward to showing its restored finish to the people I bought it from. They'll be pleased.

I've found a 3M Product for fiberglass restoration that gets good reviews. 3M Marine Compound and Finishing Material, 06044. I'm a 3M fan so I tend to trust those reviews. I plan to start on the top so I don't get tired and bored and forget about it.

Anyone use this 3M product? Got a better technique for fiberglass restoration?

And what about these little white 'barnacles' on the black window frames? Can anyone recommend any action to take short of sanding and repainting? I could provide pictures, but I assume this isn't an uncommon issue.

Thank you!
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html

I think this may be one of the longest threads in the place. But I will say the stuff really works and saves you a bunch of money.

It turns out a couple of common floor waxes are the same "recipe" as the expensive fiberglass polishes, only with a whole lot more or the active ingredient because floor wax you walk on. Can buy a gallon for less than a quart of FG polish.

Some observations and caveats:
Good cleaning is essential - however power buffing is not required. The wax "fills in" the pits and after about 3 or 4 wiped on coats (no buffing required) you end up with a smooth reflective surface.

Takes several coats - I use those micro fiber wash cloths, and by the time I work my way around a 13 ft. Scamp wiping a thin coat on it's dry back where I started. So I just circle the trailer wiping it on until I get a deep shine. Don't do it in full sun, dries as you wipe.

You can remove it BUT if you plan on painting paint will "fish-eye" over any residual wax so might be best to not wax if your going to paint because you will have made a lot of extra work for paint prep.

Thin coats - Drips have to be wiped off immediately. Stuff hardens as it dries and you have to use ammonia and water to strip that spot to remove it once it dries. Or the manufacturer makes a stripper. But watch for drips and runs.

Still good on newer surfaces but where it really "shines" is on older FG with all it's micro pitting. Filling those pits in creates a smooth shine & a lot of depth.

One of the products is no longer sold but the other is still on the market. And the discontinued product may have a replacement. Might want to read first couple of pages in that thread and then skip to the back to get latest info.

Not the best picture to show shine but if you look at back left corner of roof between the windows you can see the shadow from trees reflected in the surface of my 1977 so I'm pretty satisfied.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We did do Poliglow on our Bigfoot Silver Cloud. I am not questioning Zep; I just chose to use what the administrator of the Bigfoot Facebook groups recommended. Our Silver Cloud was pretty chalky when we got it. I cleaned with Barkeeper's Friend and Erasermate and the hubby followed up by removing the badly deteriorated stickers and then coating with the Poliglow for 5 coats. It made a huge change! This spring, we followed up with new stickers, and it looks like a new camper.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1531.jpg   IMG_1883.jpg  

Tags
bigfoot