Biting the bullet… to get back on the road. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 11:15 PM   #41

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
So, when we get new tires, how do we do that? I suspect the hubby took the wheels off himself and took them in. (He also replaced and balanced his motorcycle tires himself… and built the gadget to check the balance before putting them back on)

So I take the trailer in… should it stay hitched to my TV? Can they handle this in the lot, or do they want it in one of their bays? I do know they may need reminding about WHERE the jack should and should not go.
They do not need to put the trailer in a bay. Of course it can't be a rainy day. The reason a car goes in a bay is to lift it. Can't lift a trailer on a car lift. You could leave the car attached if you want to wait and so you don't have to unhitch just to rehitch or leave both for a while.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:46 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've had my trailer bearings repacked a couple of times at a local shop. Backed the trailer into the shop over the lift. It was raised just far enough for the wheels to clear, vehicle still attached.

Not a problem. Of course, he knew what he was doing.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:25 AM   #43

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've had my trailer bearings repacked a couple of times at a local shop. Backed the trailer into the shop over the lift. It was raised just far enough for the wheels to clear, vehicle still attached.

Not a problem. Of course, he knew what he was doing.
Glenn, tire shop? Or?
Old 01-18-2022, 01:36 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Glenn, tire shop? Or?
Nope. Just a independent small shop mechanic with one employee. He owned boats and boat trailers, so he'd repacked his own bearings many times. He wasn't keen on repacking my bearings every couple years. He didn't think it was necessary. He also thought that I didn't need to replace my tires as soon as I did, but he did it, and asked if he could donate my "old" tires to somebody who needed them.

He's since sold the business and retired. I hope he got enough out of it to be comfortable and to buy gas for his boat.

Only problem I had was that I had to pull across four lanes on a busy road to back into his yard.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:39 PM   #45

CA
Double checking these tires!

I just had my towbar fitted last week, and am now preparing to get new tires

I'm about to order the tires and make an appointment, but before i do so, just wanted to make sure I had the recommended ones:

I think these are a few bucks more than they were when I checked a few weeks ago... or am I looking at the wrong ones?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2022, 07:01 PM   #46

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I think load range C is the heaviest Radial Trails they make in a 13" in which case yes, those are the tires I would buy.
BTW, what model Bigfoot do you have, with 13" wheels?

Walt
Old 02-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #47

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I think load range C is the heaviest Radial Trails they make in a 13" in which case yes, those are the tires I would buy.

Walt
Walt, it's a Lil Bigfoot, 1989 vintage That info is in my member details, but doesn't show up here, for some reason. I just changed my trailer info to include the model.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:32 AM   #48

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Size looks right, same as my Scamp- but check your old tires to be sure.

As to the price, that’s probably just the way of things right now. Ordered an item from Amazon, waited two weeks, then they told me it was lost in transit. Shipper says they never received it. They refunded my money and I can re-order, but now it costs 25% more.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:55 PM   #49

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
hey Ellpea our trailer model Number is B13.5 We call them "lil" Bigfoot as a special tease.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:55 PM   #50

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post

Walt
When we owned a 13’ Scamp, I always ordered D load range tires through Discount Tire for the 13” wheels.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #51

Arizona
Registry
Weird, but on Discount’s web site, Carlisle 175/80R13 load range D lists at $69 and load range C at $93. That’s a no-brainer- get the D’s. Just don’t air them all the way to 65psi.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:24 PM   #52

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
hey Ellpea our trailer model Number is B13.5 We call them "lil" Bigfoot as a special tease.
Thanks Kenny! You’re right. But if I tell the uninitiated that I have a B13.5, I get the weirdest looks. It’s hard enough to convince people that MY 1989 is going to last longer than their 2021 Rpod
Old 02-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #53

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Weird, but on Discount’s web site, Carlisle 175/80R13 load range D lists at $69 and load range C at $93. That’s a no-brainer- get the D’s. Just don’t air them all the way to 65psi.
Thank you Jon and David B! I was just going to check back because I’m pretty sure the trailer has D range! Good to know. Also, better price!

EDIT: Never mind... I just read Jon's post farther back about PSI! (Jon, can you explain about the psi? Why, and what should they be inflated to? Or is this just related to ride and not breaking dishes? )
Old 02-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #54

Arizona
Registry
Quote:

Thank you Jon and David B! I was just going to check back because I’m pretty sure the trailer has D range! Good to know. Also, better price!

EDIT: Never mind... I just read Jon's post farther back about PSI! (Jon, can you explain about the psi? Why, and what should they be inflated to? Or is this just related to ride and not breaking dishes? )
Normal pricing is higher for a higher load range, so I recommended C’s because you don’t really need D’s for the weight of your trailer. But since they’re cheaper by some fluke of current supply and/or demand, there’s no reason not to go with D’s.

As to PSI, anything between 50 and 65 could be defended. If you want to get fancy you could test the contact patch at different pressures. The goal is even pressure across the entire width of the tread. Short of that I might start with 50-55 and experiment a bit.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #55

CA
Quote:
As to PSI, anything between 50 and 65 could be defended. If you want to get fancy you could test the contact patch at different pressures. The goal is even pressure across the entire width of the tread. Short of that I might start with 50-55 and experiment a bit.
Ha! I will have a bit of fun at the tire place, insisting we test the contact patch for even pressure across the tread!
Old 02-14-2022, 12:14 PM   #56

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Ha! I will have a bit of fun at the tire place, insisting we test the contact patch for even pressure across the tread!
You can do it yourself. I've seen instructions online but can't recall the details.

Actually I'm curious what they will recommend. What had you been running in your old tires?
Old 02-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #57

CA
Quote:
You can do it yourself. I've seen instructions online but can't recall the details.

Actually I'm curious what they will recommend. What had you been running in your old tires?
I really do NOT remember what psi we had used in the past. The tires and outdoor setup were handled by the expert…