Biting the bullet… to get back on the road. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Biting the bullet… to get back on the road.

It’s time to get cracking. My poor Lil B has been parked for around five years.

She had a new axle with brakes, and new tires with around 3k miles on them. But, 5 years old.

I just ordered a tow bar assembly for the Volvo XC60, which will be installed 2/2/22.

After that, I will tow the trailer in (carefully) to get new tires. (I know there is much discussion here about tires… will read up, but any recommendations still appreciated.)

Then I plan to spend the spring doing various repairs and other upgrades.

Battery? Completely dead. Need one.
One solar panel (35watt I think), not much but will charge cell phone if needed.

Windows need work. Plastic slider tracks need cleaning.
Curtains, launder. Maybe replace.
Curtain rods: my copper tubing, which “swoops” around the curvey corners of the trailer were fun but not durable.

They droop on the road, so will be looking for a different strategy.

The back overhead cabinet sags on one side.

Fixing this may be beyond my skillset. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated.

The backsplash has also shambled down and needs a complete redo. Condition too shameful to photograph and share.

There is so much more to do! Oh, and the propane tank is old and I don’t think they will fill it. But I do have a full tank on the BBQ, so can probably use that. (I haven’t barbecued in 5 years either. Losing a spouse really hampers motivation.)

As you might guess, I’m working alone and could use a few “attagirls”. Any thoughts or discussions about any of this sincerely appreciated.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Sounds like you have a good plan for with ahead. It will look great.

I go wonder about the tires though, with little mileage and only 5 years old why not wait a year at least? I usually go 7 years depending on tire condition.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #3

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan for with ahead. It will look great.

I go wonder about the tires though, with little mileage and only 5 years old why not wait a year at least? I usually go 7 years depending on tire condition.
Jim, they have been sitting in the sun on concrete. I hate to risk a blowout, especially with a single axle where the fiberglass damage could be pretty catastrophic 😳!
Old 01-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Glad to have you back in the "active" category. I have missed your regular participation. Grief is a long journey. You got this!

Agree with Jim about the tires. Unless they are weather-cracked, I'll bet you can get another season or two out of them. (EDIT- and I now see you've already addressed that...)

One easy strategy for the propane tank is take it to one of the many places that does exchanges and swap it for a filled newer tank. Maybe Home Depot when they're not too busy and you can talk the employee into checking a few in their inventory for expiration date so you can get the newest.

Not sure about the curtain rods. I like the idea of wraparound rods where the curtain can completely clear the windows when views are desired. But I have yet to see the perfect solution.

Lil Bigfoot has wooden cabinets where my Scamp has fiberglass. Thinking you might need to cut out a section of the shell lining inside the cabinet and epoxy a wood block to the shell to give a place to attach the sagging section.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #5

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Glad to have you back in the "active" category. I have missed your regular participation. Grief is a long journey. You got this!

Agree with Jim about the tires. Unless they are weather-cracked, I'll bet you can get another season or two out of them. (EDIT- and I now see you've already addressed that...)

Best wishes!
Thanks Jon! So now do you agree with Jim about tires? Or me?🧐
Old 01-15-2022, 03:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Jim, they have been sitting in the sun on concrete. I hate to risk a blowout, especially with a single axle where the fiberglass damage could be pretty catastrophic [emoji15]!
All my trailers pretty much sit in the sun. Having 2 to 3 trailers on the go at a time kept me thinking of budget asking with safety. You could do a good check of the surface, but it is more the deterioration that happens through the entire walls that is a factor than just a bit of the surface.

Your money, your call. [emoji6]

I bought a 1994 24' fifth wheel in 2016 that had only been towed 150 km to a rec site and parked with covers on the wheels. The tires looked brand new with little hairs from moulding still on them. I did take this 150 km right to the shop for new tires. Only after they looked at the date stamp on them did they believe me how old they were. [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:09 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Jon! So now do you agree with Jim about tires? Or me?🧐
I did not change my initial response after reading your intervening post so that's a fair question...

On reflection I'll stand by what I said: if there's no significant UV cracking of the sidewalls, you should be good. You could have a trusted tire dealer or mechanic take a closer look. But in the end, tires are not that expensive, and if it will remove a source of anxiety, do as you have planned.

'Go not to the Elves for counsel for they will answer both no and yes.' (JRR Tolkien)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The best tire available is only around $60, maybe good peace of mind?
Carlisle HD load range "C"
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:21 PM   #9

CA
Quote:

'Go not to the Elves for counsel for they will answer both no and yes.' (JRR Tolkien)
Jon, you obviously spoke (wrote) a mouthful there!

(Says the English major who also worked with a Tolkien scholar!)
Old 01-15-2022, 06:25 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The best tire available is only around $60, maybe good peace of mind?
Carlisle HD load range "C"
Floyd, it is peace of mind I seek. Getting the appropriate tow bar represents some $$, and to cheap out on tires… when I may be traveling alone some of the time? Seems unreasonably risky!

Thank you for the suggestion. Is this a trailer tire?
Old 01-15-2022, 06:32 PM   #11

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
All my trailers pretty much sit in the sun. Having 2 to 3 trailers on the go at a time kept me thinking of budget asking with safety. You could do a good check of the surface, but it is more the deterioration that happens through the entire walls that is a factor than just a bit of the surface.

Your money, your call. [emoji6]

I bought a 1994 24' fifth wheel in 2016 that had only been towed 150 km to a rec site and parked with covers on the wheels. The tires looked brand new with little hairs from moulding still on them. I did take this 150 km right to the shop for new tires. Only after they looked at the date stamp on them did they believe me how old they were. [emoji16]
Jim, I think I would be less worried if these had covers over the last 5 years. They should have, but unfortunately we had other things happening in the family and the Lil B was way down on the list of priorities. Congratulations on safely arriving at the shop!
Old 01-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
…Thank you for the suggestion. Is this a trailer tire?
It is. It’s what I have on mine as well, and I’ll second the recommendation.

Do you have 13” or 14” wheels on your trailer?
Old 01-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
If you use 14" or larger tires you also have the option of Goodyear Endurance which is MUSA, if that matters.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Floyd, it is peace of mind I seek. Getting the appropriate tow bar represents some $$, and to cheap out on tires… when I may be traveling alone some of the time? Seems unreasonably risky!

Thank you for the suggestion. Is this a trailer tire?
Yes it is ST 175/80R 13...
This is the only tire I put on Eggy-Sue (the pull-it surprize)

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...adial-trail-hd

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:33 AM   #15

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
If you use 14" or larger tires you also have the option of Goodyear Endurance which is MUSA, if that matters.
Shelby, I do like the look of larger tires, but the new axle has already lifted the trailer higher than I like. I’m sure there is some other advantage to tires larger than the stock size?
Old 01-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Only that you have a few more tire choices, like the Goodyear.

In your case, there is no compelling reason to up-size. 13" tires have plenty of weight capacity, they're a bit cheaper, a bit lighter to handle, and neither treadwear nor bearing life will be appreciably degraded by the slightly faster rotation.

When you get into the 15-16' class, then 14" or 15" wheels begin to make a lot more sense. 15" is the most common size for trailer tires, so that's where you'll find the best in-stock inventory if you have to replace a tire on the road in some out-of-the-way location. I had to order my 13" Carlisles and it took a couple of days to get them to my local tire shop.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #17

CA
[QUOTE=floyd;833116]Yes it is ST 175/80R 13...
This is the only tire I put on Eggy-Sue (the pull-it surprize)

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...adial-trail-hd

Floyd, that is the cutest name for your egg! Thank you for the link. It takes me directly to the local America’s Tire, which is where I get my pressure checked, and was also hubby’s choice. Their website indicates Two tires would be available by Tuesday, so yay! (I have been worried about supply with so many transportation problems elsewhere.)

Quote:
Do you have 13” or 14” wheels on your trailer?
John, I am pretty sure they are 13”. But obviously will check before ordering. What do you have?
Old 01-16-2022, 10:46 AM   #18

CA
Quote:
Only that you have a few more tire choices, like the Goodyear.

In your case, there is no compelling reason to up-size. 13" tires have plenty of weight capacity, they're a bit cheaper, a bit lighter to handle, and neither treadwear nor bearing life will be appreciably degraded by the slightly faster rotation.
Jon, thanks. I’ll stick with 13” I think. I do have some questions below about the process….
Old 01-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #19

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Shelby, I do like the look of larger tires, but the new axle has already lifted the trailer higher than I like. I’m sure there is some other advantage to tires larger than the stock size?
I just didn't know what size you had, not recommending any change. I have those Carlisles in 15" on my trailer and they have been perfectly satisfactory.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #20

CA
About the tire PROCESS

So, when we get new tires, how do we do that? I suspect the hubby took the wheels off himself and took them in. (He also replaced and balanced his motorcycle tires himself… and built the gadget to check the balance before putting them back on)

So I take the trailer in… should it stay hitched to my TV? Can they handle this in the lot, or do they want it in one of their bays? I do know they may need reminding about WHERE the jack should and should not go.