Black Streaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 06:08 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Black Streaks

Do you get black streaks on your RV? How do you get them off....easily? I just washed and waxed my 25RT and I wish there was an better way. I blew out both of my shoulders playing volleyball years ago so the whole circular scrubbing motion is a no go for me.

I bought a telescoping pole brush for my truck and RV that works very well. I would never get it done without it. I found That I needed something stronger than car wash to deal with the black streaks. I found a general purpose cleaner at a local auto parts store that did fairly well. It listed fiberglass as a surface that it was safe with so I tried it out. The cleaner is manufactured locally. It is a floor cleaner degreaser. I have seen black streak remover at RV centers but didn't buy it. Does it work? Which kind is best?

I also had to go over the RV with a sponge and fine grit polishing compound. I am not into detailing this large an area. The other problem I have been running into is mildew on the silicone. BigFoot seals everything with silicone and I have been getting mildew growing on it. The belly band has been getting it too. I had to resort to a stiffer hand brush followed up with the polishing compound.

The streaks are not so bad on the right side because the awning blocks the run off water but the amount of mildew on the silicone that seals the awning to the roof is ridiculous.

So does anyone have any cleaning ideas?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Good morning, Tom!
We must have both had the push to clean up our campers yesterday, as I also stripped off the old Zep on mine and washed it well. Didn't yet get it waxed but might wait til spring...it will be stored over the winter in our carport.

As to the black streaks, I got rid of mine using Bar Keeper's Friend --I used the cream version. Worked very well.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:03 AM   #3

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Good morning, Tom!
We must have both had the push to clean up our campers yesterday, as I also stripped off the old Zep on mine and washed it well. Didn't yet get it waxed but might wait til spring...it will be stored over the winter in our carport.

As to the black streaks, I got rid of mine using Bar Keeper's Friend --I used the cream version. Worked very well.
I actually had to wash it twice because I waited to long before applying the wax/ceramic. I have heard of that Bar Keeper's friend. I will have to read more about it. thanks.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Well, I hadn't ever heard of Bar Keeper's Friend until I read about it here on this forum a number of years ago.

I used it before I applied 4 coats of Zep before heading to Winnipeg for the 50th Anniversary of the Boler shindig....
...and only now have gotten around to removing --or attempting to---the old Zep.
Should have done it annually but it still looked really good until this spring. But whenever I had wanted or planned to scrub it down, it either was way too hot out or raining. So it waited until yesterday.

I actually tried the Zep stripper first, to remove the old Zep, as also recommended here. But it didn't seem to touch it. The finish was good on the lower half of the camper, but spotty on the upper. Still looked the same, only cleaner, after the Zep stripper treatment. So I switched back to the Bar Keeper's Friend with much better results.

Any one have any other suggestions to removing the Zep? I have noticed that in some spots, I now have light brown "stains" from the Zep.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: ThomasC... I use LA's Totally Awsome cleaner http://www.lastotallyawesome.com from the Dollar store. Squirt some on a sponge and wipe. Rince it off quickly as it will remove the wax finish along with the black streaks.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:38 PM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Not as cheap as Awesome but the best I’ve ever used for black streaks. Virtually spray on and wipe off without any effort and doesn’t strip the wax.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/star...BoCkzIQAvD_BwE
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoboss View Post
Not as cheap as Awesome but the best I’ve ever used for black streaks. Virtually spray on and wipe off without any effort and doesn’t strip the wax.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/star...BoCkzIQAvD_BwE
That sounds good. I will have to try some.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
That sounds good. I will have to try some.
I believe you’ll find it very useful.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote