Black water protocol - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #21

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Tried all these. I came back to Thetford Aqua Keem. It is the only one that works IMHO.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #22

Name: Suzanne and Boe
Trailer: Casita
Washington
We have used Happy Camper for black tank since the Boler Anniversary 2 years ago. Great product and will never use anything else.
Boe and Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #23

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
Easy clean black tank

We have found that a bit of Calgon (or any water softener) mixed with some Dawn added to a clean tank with a gallon of water is enough to slosh around and coat the sides of the tank, making dumping easy. I dump one last clean gallon of water down at the end of the dump, then add the mix and last gallon while hubs finishes the gray tank. Called the Geo method, I think, but whatever the name it has worked for us with our Casita and now Escape. No odor problems so far. I keep a small laundry detergent bottle premixed with Calgon and Dawn and just add a few capfuls each time after we dump.
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #24

Name: Delmer
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Cleaning Blackwater tank

I use a SWIVEL STIK HOLDING TANK RINSER after emptying the black and then grey. It takes a few extra minutes but really helps clean the black water tank.
delhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #25

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
This is illuminating. Seems like there are some right things to do and some wrong things to do, but everything else is preference.

When I first started using my black tank, I would haul the hose at the dump station into my trailer, into the bathroom and spray into the toilet after dumping, then dump again. Just made sense.

But those hoses are unreliable. Sometimes long, sometimes short, always to be assumed nasty. I’m supposed to haul that thing into my camper? And how do I control the water? How to turn it on & off from in my camper? I guess a solution is to have my own long hose with a nozzle on the end, but that seemed like a lot of gear. Seemed like a lot of hassle.

Sort of like a lot of bathroom stuff, people don’t really talk about this, so it’s easy to develop weird habits or do something wrong.

I finally just stopped spraying out the toilet when I dump. A couple times a summer, and every fall before winterizing, I use the spray wand meant for cleaning the black tank. Otherwise I just dump & go. But after reading some of these responses, I think I’ll do a bit more. At least flush once really well after the first dump. Maybe use some extra additives now and then.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Maybe use some extra additives now and then.

Go green. No additives, no attempt to improve on nature.

Who are people trying to impress by "cleaning" their black tank? I surely don't care if yours is cleaner than mine.
If you want to get rid of crud, vote.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #27

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Black Water Tank

Before I dump the black water tank I empty three toilet blows full of clean water into the black water tank. I drain the black water tank, close the valve and dump three more toilet bowls full of water into the black water tank. Then I open the black water valve and drain that. Then I repeat this the third time, by then the water coming out of the black water tank is clear.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Some folks like clean tanks, some folks like polished trailers, some folks don’t care either way. It’s all personal preference.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #29

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
When travelling...we just dump the tanks and move on...quick and easy. On our last night before returning home....we usually find a camp site with full hook ups. I dump our tanks and then fill the toilet with clean water to the max....then I dump again. Generally.....you can see white plastic on the bottom of tank...if I do....good to go....if I don't....I fill the tank again and dump. Our Casita tanks are small...doesn't take long and when I get home....I have a nice clean tank while storing the trailer until next trip. Have fun....enjoy your trailer.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:30 PM   #30

Name: Fred
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
Dumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Britton View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and the word of caution regarding those waiting behind me!
I carry a pain that I put under the outlet when I empty black water tank just in case there is any leakage when I remove the cap. Better to just rinse that and pour into the dump opening than to leave any mess on the ground for the next person.
AZCOWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:31 PM   #31

Name: Fred
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
Pan, not pain. Darn spellwrecker.
AZCOWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #32

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCOWBOY View Post
I carry a pain that I put under the outlet when I empty black water tank just in case there is any leakage when I remove the cap. Better to just rinse that and pour into the dump opening than to leave any mess on the ground for the next person.
The cap on my dump outlet has a small cap for hooking to a garden hose. Instead of a pan I just hold the dump hose under the small cap and remove it. Then proceed to removing the large cap knowing there will be no surprises. If there is a little it drains safely into the dump hose.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #33

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
This thread got me thinking. Our routine is that I handle the slinky outside and my wife goes inside and lets some water into the bowl and flushes it so there is a little bit of rinsing done. Why not something better/simpler?

The black tank vent is on the wall above the black water slinky connection, so why not use the dump station water hose to push water into the tank that way? Much simpler than coordinating with another person, and should be just as effective in rinsing the tank, the drain and the slinky.

I just tried this (the Scamp is parked next to the house) and it should work. I will try it under real life conditions on our next trip. Anybody tried this? Any potential problems?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #34

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Empyting the tanks

When I need to flush the tanks, I head to the local KOA campground a few miles away with Dirk riding shotgun. Their campground has full hookups so about the only folks using their dump site are those paying for the one-time use. Only once have I had to wait for someone else to finish up. And, knock wood, nobody is behind me. That's when I dump and flush the tanks twice. I bring my own orange hose that's only used for flushing the tanks. Dirk's there to turn the water on and off, as needed. I attach the wand sprayer and dump some 7th Generation hand dish washing soap down the toilet and kitchen drain and start filling those tanks. While the black is dumping, I can fill the grey, etc.

Word of warning - wear ratty clothes and safety goggles as water gets sprayed all over the bathroom. Esp when I get tired of holding the wand and it hits the sides of the toilet. Yep, learned that one right away.

This usually takes care of any stinky odors and the water flushes out nice and clean. Then I pour some Tank Tech RX down the toilet and drains and put some water down them. I also never put TP in the toilet, but use a black plastic bag hanging from a hook. That way my black tank will hold more "stuff" and I don't have to worry about anything getting hung up or the dreaded TP Pyramid of Death.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #35

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Smell is the main reason for me to want to keep the tank clean-ish, and the accuracy of the tank level gauges are the secondary reason.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote