Boat Cover for Trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Boat Cover for Trailer

Hello all! Happy New Year!

I was curious as to your thoughts on using a boat cover to cover my 17' boler. I am not particular about the paint job at this point and have been looking for a better alternative to just a polytarp. I found these boat covers and was thinking the biggest size might work to at least cover the top and a bit down the sides. Not ideal but for the cost...

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ca-...4d1_0_20170107

TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
First of all, why do you want to cover? If you have roof leaks, then you need to fix the leaks source.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
First of all, why do you want to cover? If you have roof leaks, then you need to fix the leaks source.
Basically protection from the elements. Snow, sun blowing dirt etc.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #4

SW Florida
Cover will NOT protect from snow. You will need to remove snow from the roof to remove the snow weight. Blowing dirt mostly affects trailer sides, but not the roof. Sun? Sun in Alberta?-)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #5

Alberta
I have two extension poles on the inside to support the weight of snow so not too concerned. I think the cover would help it slide off a bit better too. And I think it will be a while before the entire trailer is leak proof as I still need to redo a lot of the seals and gaskets.

And we do get about half an hour of sun these winter days when it isn't outright blizzarding!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #6

SW Florida
The best protection thing is a carport. If you can afford it and it will not contradict your neighbourhood rules - do it.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Boler 17 cover

Tim, a few months ago we bought a Boler 17. Recently we bought a cover for it for one of the same reasons you gave: The camper is not watertight, and it won't be for at least several months.

We purchased the ShieldAll™ Boler 1700 Travel Trailer Camper Cover w/ Zipper Door Access from EliteMotorOnline on EBAY. We have been pleased with the cover so far. It has a surprisingly good fit. It is made with what appears to be sturdy fabric that is coated with a silver urethane.

-John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
For what you're looking for I think it's a pretty good idea. I'd get the largest one too and just trim the length and add any tie down grommets to where you need them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:31 AM   #9

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
I think it's a great idea if you can find one that's big enough.
If the cost is better then a regular trailer cover, around $250, do it
I use a car cover on my Boler 13 footer and as you said it covers the top and about half way down the sides.
We do get snow in Maine and getting the snow off every 5 inches or so is not a problem with a roof rake.
The main reason for the cover is to protect it from the UV rays of the sun with can break down Fiberglass over time.
A chemist friend, who worked at one of the campgrounds I worked at said that if anyone had to just use a poly-tarp...never use a Blue one.
Blue has a chemical in it that will so damage to your roof,
Wheather he was talking fiberglass or rubber or all, I do not know.
I do know from buying poly-tarps to cover my firewood that blue ones would only have a life span about half of a green or brown one.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #10

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Another option if you want a full cover is to use a horse trailer cover. I use the 8-10 ft cover from Beverly Bay which is $127.95 and free shipping with 2 yr warranty. It even covers my tires and tongue jacket/battery/propane tank. I had the one many have ordered off ebay and it disintegrated in less than a year in our Florida sun. This one is still going strong after a little over 2 yrs. Lets see if I can get the link to post: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....0-fdd229b98d26
Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #11

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Oh yea, I got that car cover at a re-sale shop for $5.00
I know you'll need one a bit larger to cover the 21 foot camper but you'ld be surprised how big some of these car covers are
21 foot camper so living space is what....17 feet?
About as long as a van so maybe one that size would work.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #12

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
A cover is a good idea, during the winter if for no other reason than it prevents the buildup of dirt that seems to accumulate in the cooler weather and shows up as black streaks. But be careful what you use:

1. DON'T USE POLY TARPS or anything like them that doesn't breath. They hold humidity and moisture in which will lead to mold.
2. Leave one or two windows open just a crack to allow for ventilation.
3. I was told not to leave the cover on during the heat of summer.

A boat cover might be okay if it is breathable but be careful. I don't know if ventilation is much of a concern with boats as I see many owners having them completely covered in plastic wrap for the winter. Wouldn't do that to a trailer! For our 13 ft. Trillium, I picked up an actual trailer cover that someone had returned to our RV dealer for a hundred bucks. It is actually designed for a tent trailer but covers down past the belly-band and so protects the most vulnerable areas.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

Alberta
Well I decided to go for it. At $56.66 Canadian, which included tax and shipping, I figured it was worth a try. Will let you know how it goes!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Sergey indicated a carport is 'best'. We decided to build a full garage, specifically for our wee 13' Boler, and an ATV ? We call it the 'Toy Box'. 16' X 16'; but, with a 10 ft. ceiling. Great for 'reno' work, and it also keeps the critters out.