Bottom of Trailer Water Protection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 99 Scamp 16
Idaho
Bottom of Trailer Water Protection

What's the best to use on the bottom wood of the Scamp trailers, just coat it in fiberglass resin again to waterproof?
camper1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, my 1988 Scamp Deluxe which resides in the Pacific NorthWET has never had a rot problem so I don't worry about the bottom. It's leaks from the top (windows, vents) that I stay on top of maintenance wise.

But, if you're really wanting to do it... why not a good coat of paint?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
John,

I agree with Donna; they rot from the top down. With that said I paintedthe bottom of mine white. I considered using a bedliner white but never had the time.

I also have painted the top of my floor, where ever it's easy. If I replace the rug, I'll paint the whole floor topside.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

Idaho
Great thanks,
I don't have any problems of it rotting on the bottom, just was curious if I needed to do any maintenance to the bottom to keep waterproof. Appreciate all the information.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #5

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
On our 72 Boler we used truck bed liner on the top and the bottom as we did a complete frame off resto on on 13 footer. Like many have said not necessary but some would have been wasted so why not. It sure makes the underside look clean I might add with the black bed liner.
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
What about the edges of the plywood floor, should that be sealed? On the Burro the top and bottom has fiberglass mat. But at the wheel well, there use to be some kind of putty, almost like window glazing, applied to the edges of the plywood, and some chunks have fallen off.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Sealing the bottom of the floor does 2 things it will prevent moisture from coming through the bottom and prevent any moisture, no where it comes from, from getting out. As often been seen with trailers that have a fully encased plywood floor. Water standing on floor inside the trailer can migrate into the flooring wood via screws or other mounting holes.
If anybody knows of a case where water came in from the bottom and cause flooring problems, I think we would all like to know about.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Thru floor holes are an issue. When I drill one I try to spray paint the inside of the hole and than seal it from top and bottom with caulking.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #9

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
I agree with Donna, sand off any rust, then good coat of paint.

I recently read a post that talks about over drilling screw holes, filling with resin then re drilling the hole within the resin barrier. Probably most practical in new installation. I think it was posted by Raz, not sure, I will try to find it.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Sorry, I can't find that post.

Cathy
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post

I recently read a post that talks about over drilling screw holes, filling with resin then re drilling the hole within the resin barrier. Probably most practical in new installation. I think it was posted by Raz, not sure, I will try to find it.
Not one of mine. I think Raya talked about that as a technique used on fiberglass boats to protect encased wood. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:

Coulda been me. That is what I do in my UHaul to protect the floor from water intrustion from the top.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

I've heard about this, however I wonder is Casita or Uhaul or Burro ever did anything like that at the factor. My guess is they simply drove sheet metal screws through the glass into the wood and never worried about sealing them.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #14

Idaho
What's the best paint to use on the bottom?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i would say if your putting a new bottom on it coat with fiberglass resin.
otherwise i would leave it for fear of sealing moisture into the wood .

but if your sure its dry, a coat of exterior wood paint would be fine. plus give you an excuse to examine everythingdown there. axel,tanks,wireing,pipes TIRES. which we all should do every once in awhile anyway. so you can always just concider it a bonding experiance with your trailer.