Bowler puzzlement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Bowler puzzlement

I just started a bit of a cleaning and discoveries on our Boler we just finally picked up from Windsor least Saturday. Plugged in the 110 volt line, got the sink fluorescent to go on but nothing else. Side cabinet 12v. lights are not powered up in any way. There does not seem to be any power converter anywhere to power these up. Tracing the dome wired seem to disappear through floor. Is it possible that these lights are only powered up when trailer harness is plugged in? Thought all Bolers had means to run all lights from 110v. Thinking I may have to rewrire with step down to power dome lights! Also, since Boler was stored up on blocks in garage for past 15 years or so, any suggestions for firing up the three-way fridge after this time of snoozing? Would some gentle tapping wake up the compressor, or...?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
RV fridges don't have a compressor, so they operate pretty much silently. A gas flame or electric heating element warms the ammonia coolant and initiates a cooling loop.

I would try it on 110V house current first and see what happens. If you're uncertain about the trailer's 110V wiring, you should be able to unplug the fridge from the trailer somewhere inside the cabinet and plug it directly into a house outlet using an extension cord. Make sure the trailer is level- older fridges are very sensitive to out of level operation.

Allow about 24 hours to cool down- they work slowly- and report back.

If you can find the make and model number you might be able to find a manual in the Document Center.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Discoveries

Reporting back, Jon. It has been a few hours now and the fridge seems to be working off 110v. Can't try the 12v. yet but will try the propane ( with the old style hose connector) function in the next couple of days. The stove works flawlessly, but am anxious to try the propane heater! Any hints there? Thanks!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

Ontario
Registry
More discoveries

I just tried the propane furnace. The silly thing works, after sitting idle all these years! Next propane power fridge testing...
Old 02-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I wouldn't worry about 12V fridge operation. Sucks your battery dry.
I have 120AC and propane. That's all I need. If the fridge doesn't stay cold while driving, keeping the fridge door closed, just run it on propane.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
My old Ventura didn't have a converter or even a battery from the factory. They relied on 12v from the tow vehicle. We had a tent trailer that came from the factory with a extension wire to run to the car battery to run the lights. On the ventura , I made up a battery mount on the frame but didn't add a converter as we boondocked . If you mount up a battery, you could just hook up a regular battery charger for when your on 110v. Not much runs on 12v on these little guys especially if you have a gravity furnace. Convert the lights to LED and a battery will last a long time, throw in a solar panel and you're good to go. (I use 2 20 watt panels)

As for the fridge, check the burner and nozzle for spider webs. No compressor on these fridges. Check the cooling coils for rust and or yellow stains (ammonia). The propane burner is probably a little screen dome and some gentle wire brushing should clean it. The propane nozzle gets cleaned with alcohol (do not stick anything into the small hole). BTW the difference in flame height from pilot setting to full on is barley noticeable. The other thing that can cause problems with these one guys is the propane regulator being out of adjustment. Should be 11 inch water column if I remember correctly and this is measured at the fridge.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Wisconsin
Agreed..12v Refer is bad

The 12v Refrigerator operation does draw down a battery quickly
Old 02-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Boler discoveries

Wow! great information, folks. Rekindles my memories of pop-up tent trailer days 30 years ago!