Brake controller for Ford Freestar - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Registry
Thank you very much Francesca, my vehicle is a 2005 Ford Freestar and the old discussions were very useful, Thank's
David in Fernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #22

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Wireless brake controller is GOOD for a towing vehicle with...MULTI trailers as my understanding. About connection the brake controller module RIGHT WITHIN trailer's frame having it's own pros and cons. One advantage is shorter wiring and simplyfing the work. But it might complicate/interfere upon the process of braking system in case of...breaking away with heavy trailers(break-away safety sw). Depending on the design of break-away sws' models, if I were you, I would put that into account before considering any...short-cut. Just my personal opinion. All inputs and feed-backs are really appreciated, I am still on learning process. Thanks for reading.
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Fernie View Post
Thank you very much Francesca, my vehicle is a 2005 Ford Freestar and the old discussions were very useful, Thank's
I did realize that your vehicle was a match to the O.P.'s- my reference to changes in electronics was intended to refer to those in brake controllers themselves, which seem to have changed alot in the seven years since I bought mine!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Thank you Randy for your suggestions and thoughts, all the best with your trailer brake project
Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Check out these controllers. Nothing special for Freestar mentioned here.

Brake Controllers with Custom Fit Wiring Harness for 2005 Ford Freestar | etrailer.com
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
... my reference to changes in electronics was intended to refer to those in brake controllers themselves, which seem to have changed alot in the seven years since I bought mine!
More features have appeared, but mostly in the display and controls - basic functionality changes little, and the connections to the tug and trailer haven't changed at all.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #27

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
Wireless brake controller is GOOD for a towing vehicle with...MULTI trailers as my understanding
It's the other way around: radio-linked trailer-mounted controllers - the Prodigy RF is the only example which comes to mind and is the Tekonsha 90250 mentioned earlier - are a good way to equip one trailer which needs to work with various tugs that might not be wired with a brake controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
About connection the brake controller module RIGHT WITHIN trailer's frame having it's own pros and cons. One advantage is shorter wiring and simplyfing the work. But it might complicate/interfere upon the process of braking system in case of...breaking away with heavy trailers(break-away safety sw).
The Prodigy RF is installed between the trailer's existing 7-pin connector and the tug; the breakaway system continues to work as if a tug-mounted controller were in use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Thank you very much Tom, the link to etrailer was very good, a further click through
on the wiring needed landed me on a page with an installation video for a Freestar, how good was that !!! So etrailer has the brake sensor lead going to the brake switch. So they have it working with out any problems !!! Great news
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #29

British Columbia
Registry
Brian, Thank you very much for your thoughts on the subject, and your correct descriptions, I greatly appreciate the impute, David
Old 03-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #30

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
More features have appeared, but mostly in the display and controls - basic functionality changes little, and the connections to the tug and trailer haven't changed at all.
Exactly! And especially in the functionality department.

The supposed innovations are as you say mostly bells and whistles that contribute little to function but greatly inflate the cost.

Perfectly adequate brake controllers can still be had for under a hundred dollars, but folks seldom point out how little the extra cost of more expensive "new/improved" ones equates to performance benefits.

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote