Brake Light Light Bulbs in 1979 Scamp/Reflect-o-lite (And, how to clean up old fixtur - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2023, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Brake Light Light Bulbs in 1979 Scamp/Reflect-o-lite (And, how to clean up old fixtur

Hi! I need to know what the BIG light bulb is (i think it's the brake light/blinker light) in this light fixture! Silly me - I broke it trying to get it out, and the housing is completely rusted and unable to be read. And the silliest part - it wasn't burned out. Just very dim (understandably so due to the rust on the connection!)

Also, how should/can I clean up the rust on the old fixture, so it will function as well as it can? I'm assuming the other side will be the same. Also, when I reinstall the lens, should I use butyl tape around it? There is nothing to keep water out of the light- the screws are all rusted, and that big, top facing bulb socket was, too.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9760.jpg   IMG_9771.jpg  

Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:54 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Bulbs

Those old two filament buns were sometimes 1034’s and a lot Of times 1157’s. The difference is where the lock posts are. Either offset on the bulb 1157 or directly across from each other (1034)
Once you get the bulb out ( I’d spray the base with a lubricant like wrench eze) you may be able to see the number on the side of the base.

When I need to clean one up I use my dremel tool, on very low speed with a wire wheel brush “bit”. Clean the socket and the contacts at the bottom. You can use Emery paper or crocus cloth to shine them up too if you don’t have a Dremel.

A non hardening sealant like butyl tape works pretty well. We used to use 3m black windshield sealant on boat trailer lights that got submerged and sealed the lens and the wire base where it went into the fixture. I always got new sheet metal screws. Looks better and easier to remove,

Hope this helps.
Old timers (75 plus are welcome to pile on)
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:46 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm 75 plus, actually only 76. I have a brush that is made especially to clean bulb sockets. It is similar to the hand wire brushes that plumbers use to clean copper pipe fittings before soldering. The bulb socket brush may be made by KD Tools and a auto parts store may have them. If a new bulb is loose in the socket you can slightly bend in the socket at the slots for the bulb pins. Note that the pins are offset if it is a two filament bulb.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:26 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Those little hand brushes are pretty handy. My brother and brother in law both had one. I had forgot till you mentioned it. I have a couple of the battery post and cable cleaner tools but that brush is too big for the sockets and I’ve had the Dremel for many years so I naturally turn to it. Those KD specialty tools are usually pretty darn good and affordable.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:12 AM   #5

Name: BenjaminL
Trailer: Casita
Maryland
Have you considered replacing the rear light assemblies with LED ones?
Travel Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:03 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Those little hand brushes are pretty handy. My brother and brother in law both had one. I had forgot till you mentioned it. I have a couple of the battery post and cable cleaner tools but that brush is too big for the sockets and I’ve had the Dremel for many years so I naturally turn to it. Those KD specialty tools are usually pretty darn good and affordable.
Iowa Dave
It looks like KD Tools was bought by Gearwrench. I can't find the bulb socket brush on their website. KD number was 189 but apparently no longer available. OEM Tools has a similar brush, #25237. So here we go again, this old guy had something he liked, wanted another, and it's no longer available. That's what ticks me off, (to quote Vic DiBitetto)
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 01:06 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Thanks- offset and it was definitely 2 filiment before I broke it!

We are debating replacing with LED, but are running out of time for replacing before our first trip to do it, so I'm wanting to clean them up, maybe replace with LED light bulbs, and see what it's like then. I do like the vintage look
Old 05-03-2023, 02:28 PM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
1034 and 1157 lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Thanks- offset and it was definitely 2 filiment before I broke it!
Years ago, when there was a difference in wattage, the bases were the same but the 1034 (23 watts) was common in GM and 1157 ( 26.88 watts) were common in others. The 1157 was much brighter and hotter. Today the lamp you buy may be marked 1034/1157. If you do go LED ( I would) I'd order red, as the LED will be brighter and look pink in an old lens.

https://www.amazon.com/EverBright-BA...%2C220&sr=8-11
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:35 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Reinstall new bulbs with a heavy smear of Dow 111 silicone grease on the metal base and contacts. This has proven effective on my marine lights in Salt water.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #10

Name: Brad
Trailer: Shopping for Toyota based RV
Texas
Guns shops are your friend

Go to an a company that sells ammo, like Academy Sports or a local gun shop and get a gun cleaning brush. It is a brass brush that is available from 1/4" to a little over 1/2 " diameter. Be sure to measure the size of the socket before you go.
bradleybhiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #11

Colorado
Registry
Thank you! Installing the new bulbs today and leaving tomorrow!

Tags
light, scamp