Burro ceiling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Burro and Teardrop (Scadabout 1961)
I am the new owner of a 81 Burro and I don't understand what the strip of material running up the center of the ceiling is for. Hard to believe it would be some kind of insulation. Does it hide something?
Patricia LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Tent
The inner shell does not reach to center. The ugly carpet hides the gap in the inner shells and shows the back of the outer hull. I pulled mine off and plan to replace with a very light weight and light color (almost white) car liner carpet. The gap is just about two inches narrower than the carpet itself. You may be able to feel where the edge of the inner hull ends by feeling through the carpet. I have bought the replacement just need to figure how to glue it in place. I saved the original as a template for the replacement.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 08-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
The inner shell does not reach to center. The ugly carpet hides the gap in the inner shells and shows the back of the outer hull. I pulled mine off and plan to replace with a very light weight and light color (almost white) car liner carpet. The gap is just about two inches narrower than the carpet itself. You may be able to feel where the edge of the inner hull ends by feeling through the carpet. I have bought the replacement just need to figure how to glue it in place. I saved the original as a template for the replacement.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks a million for the input Mike. It sounds like an odd design!! Was the carpet hard to get off? Friends of mine did something similar to you in that they did a very smooth type of tuck n roll. I was quite surprised at how good it looked although I think I would like something less obvious. Maybe matching color more closely would do the trick.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Tent
The carpet came of very easily but I'm sure the age of the glue had something to do with it. I suspect that the original shag did offer some level of insulation. I will likely add a layer of reflectix then then new carpet. As far as color I was tempted to go with a stark contrast to the white of the fiberglass. But not knowing how I will decorate over time, I decided to stay neutral.

Mike
Old 08-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Thanks a million for the input Mike. It sounds like an odd design!! Was the carpet hard to get off? Friends of mine did something similar to you in that they did a very smooth type of tuck n roll. I was quite surprised at how good it looked although I think I would like something less obvious. Maybe matching color more closely would do the trick.

As soon as I handed the check to the PO I ripped off the carpet from the ceiling and through it away! I can post a pic if you want to see what it looks like with out it.

It pratically fell off of mine it was very easy to pull off, I plan to put car vinyl type upholstry on mine, having it off will allow me to run the wiring for the overhead lighting.

Putting something else in place will allow you to add your own touch to the inside, one guy on here did a great wood strip ceiling it was well....Great! Of course I searched and cant find it so can someone else locate it?

Edit:
I found these pics of it.
Attached Thumbnails
0505080653.jpg   0521081030.jpg  

Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
The carpet came of very easily but I'm sure the age of the glue had something to do with it. I suspect that the original shag did offer some level of insulation. I will likely add a layer of reflectix then then new carpet. As far as color I was tempted to go with a stark contrast to the white of the fiberglass. But not knowing how I will decorate over time, I decided to stay neutral.

Mike

I think you are going in the right direction keeping the color neutral. I think if you were to put a contrast color (dark) it would feel like the ceiling was closing in on you. Keeping it a color similar to the white will lift up the ceiling. I will be interested in what you decide on.

I am thinking I will use marine colors because those are pleasing and relaxing to me. It all depends on how expensive the canvas is.

Pat
Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
As soon as I handed the check to the PO I ripped off the carpet from the ceiling and through it away! I can post a pic if you want to see what it looks like with out it.

It pratically fell off of mine it was very easy to pull off, I plan to put car vinyl type upholstry on mine, having it off will allow me to run the wiring for the overhead lighting.

Putting something else in place will allow you to add your own touch to the inside, one guy on here did a great wood strip ceiling it was well....Great! Of course I searched and cant find it so can someone else locate it?

Edit:
I found these pics of it.

Wow! Now that looks really nice. I really like the color scheme. Beautiful wood. Living in California I tend to think lighter/brighter colors that look/feel cooler. Our winter is about two weeks long so I am looking to be fooled with cool colors!

And now I have motivation to go out there and pull that stuff off. I would very much like to see what it looks like with out the carpeting. I think you and Mike have about the same idea working with the car vinyl and I'm thinking that is what my friends used. I really like the idea and anything is better then that cheesy carpet!

Thanks for the input.

Pat
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Wow! Now that looks really nice. I really like the color scheme. Beautiful wood. Living in California I tend to think lighter/brighter colors that look/feel cooler. Our winter is about two weeks long so I am looking to be fooled with cool colors!

And now I have motivation to go out there and pull that stuff off. I would very much like to see what it looks like with out the carpeting. I think you and Mike have about the same idea working with the car vinyl and I'm thinking that is what my friends used. I really like the idea and anything is better then that cheesy carpet!

Thanks for the input.

Pat
At the risk of being attacked, After I pulled it off I thru a bit of it in a fire pit and wow was I glad I pulled it off, as it turned into a liquid drippy mess and put off a black smoke that was horrible smelling. I wouldnt want that catching fire in my Burro.

Do you have any pics to post of your Burro I would love to see your Beast.

Here are the "naked ceiling" pics.
Attached Thumbnails
ceiling.JPG   ceiling_1.JPG  

Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #9

One more other end
Attached Thumbnails
ceiling2.JPG  
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #10

Cool

Quote:
At the risk of being attacked, After I pulled it off I thru a bit of it in a fire pit and wow was I glad I pulled it off, as it turned into a liquid drippy mess and put off a black smoke that was horrible smelling. I wouldnt want that catching fire in my Burro.

Do you have any pics to post of your Burro I would love to see your Beast.

Here are the "naked ceiling" pics.

Oh, yeah. Other than my "stuff" being blue it looks exactly the same. No pics yet and I have to learn how to attach to my response. Soon.

Regarding the fabric(?) itself, I feel I have to wear goggles and mask until I get it all cleaned up! I am not surprised it burned strangely
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Burro 17 ft
My seam doesn't seem as wide as the one in your pics or the wood one. I measured and mine is about 7" wide. Currently it has a tan shag that I can't wait to tear off. No offense to previous owners or anyone else with tan shag, it's just not my style. I was thinking of maybe putting up a padded vinyl piece.

I would love to see if anyone has other ideas for the burro (or other) seam. Here is the pic of my current state of affairs...

Click image for larger version

Name:	09_kitchencouch2.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	22745
mish p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Best solution I have seen replacing that lovely carpet strip was in Gina's trailer. The PO had put up fiberglass paneling. It blended right into the look of the ceiling. I'm sure there are pictures of it somewhere here.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #13

[quote]My seam doesn't seem as wide as the one in your pics or the wood one. I measured and mine is about 7" wide. Currently it has a tan shag that I can't wait to tear off. No offense to previous owners or anyone else with tan shag, it's just not my style. I was thinking of maybe putting up a padded vinyl piece.

I would love to see if anyone has other ideas for the burro (or other) seam. Here is the pic of my current state of affairs...

Attachment 22745

I think the newer Burro's have a narrower gap between the to halves of the inner fiberglass shells. Wish min was that narrow.

I plan on going the padded vinyl route on mine as well.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #14

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I was trolling the archives for ideas when I came across this old thread. My youngest niece saw the various indoor/outdoor carpet samples I brought home and flat said the deep red was the only way to go. Do any of our current readers have a dark carpet treatment for the seam treatment and want to comment pro or con? I'm thinking in terms of faux wood grain vinyl stick on squares for the floor with a couple of throw rugs of the same material as the ceiling treatment. Whadayathink?

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'm using red and considered a red headliner also, but decided to go neutral so that I could change colors in the trailer without changing the headliner.
I glued up bubble insulation and spray-glued a grasscloth rollup blind on it. (it took 2 blinds). Easy to cut to fit with scissors. Then I finished the edges with trim that I hot glued into place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00650-20110702-1444 (Small).jpg  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I'm using red and considered a red headliner also, but decided to go neutral so that I could change colors in the trailer without changing the headliner.
I glued up bubble insulation and spray-glued a grasscloth rollup blind on it. (it took 2 blinds). Easy to cut to fit with scissors. Then I finished the edges with trim that I hot glued into place.
That looks really sweet! Somebody else was doing bamboo shades the same way. I guess a tropical theme would suggest using our little Burros for the ultimate getaway. Now where did I put my inflatable parrot!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia LW View Post
I think you are going in the right direction keeping the color neutral. I think if you were to put a contrast color (dark) it would feel like the ceiling was closing in on you. Keeping it a color similar to the white will lift up the ceiling. I will be interested in what you decide on.

I am thinking I will use marine colors because those are pleasing and relaxing to me. It all depends on how expensive the canvas is.

Pat
We picked up some indoor/outdoor low rise pile carpet from Lowes for cheap, how thick on a headliner is too thick? Ours measures...1/4 inch thick.
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Our headliner channel isn't perfectly square from one end of the trailer to the other (front to back) it actually starts out at 22" goes up to 24 inches for the majority of the width to the back and tapers to 23" just above the rear window on our '85 UHaul CT. Would that be a problem with using this type of headliner?
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #19

Name: Dana
Trailer: in the market
Texas
We are working on the roof issue- need adhesive help!

We also stripped the carpet off of the 83 Burro we bought as soon as we had it home. It was stuck on with liquid nails, which softened nicely in the heat, and made the job easy. We want to add a layer of the reflectix insulation and then something similar to the bamboo treatment we have seen on previous posts. We need help with the adhesive, though. Does anyone have a suggestion for an adhesive that works well in extreme heat? It is over 100 degrees here, and that is usual in the summer time. I am tempted to use the liquid nails again, but does anyone know of something that worked better? We have the wide gap area to cover.
Dana in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro