Burro vs. U-Haul - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
Michele, I have to agree with Donna. I've had a half-dozen different brands of fiberglass trailers over the years; five Scamps (two 13's, two 16's, and a 19), A UHaul CT13, a Burro 17 widebody with the shower/commode, a LoveBug II 18', a Trillium 4500, and now two Bigfoots, a 17' and a 25'. Per Walthinson, I think, described the Burro 17 interior as "like living in a refrigerator"... and I agree completely. You'll find a trailer in your budget... and the brand isn't nearly as important as the features. Find a trailer, and have a ball!

Roger
Thanks! Yep, takes the pressure off. I DO tend to camp in deserty areas, so I can handle the "refrigerator" part!

By the way, Roger, if you don't have time to exercize all those trailers, I can help you out...
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
By the way, Roger, if you don't have time to exercise [b]all those trailers, I can help you out...
Roger's a serial trailerite. He limits himself to only one (or 2) at a time.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
now two Bigfoots, a 17' and a 25'
Ah, was thinking he had TWO Bigfoots. He does have at least two trailers...look at his profile banner thing! He's downright greedy!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks! Yep, takes the pressure off. I DO tend to camp in deserty areas, so I can handle the "refrigerator" part!
Don't really know if you've had an opportunity to personally see any trailer, but looking at pictures isn't like viewing the real deal. Bandon is too far for a day trip, but Sweet Home is only 1 hour 47 minutes / 95.78 miles from Portland. I'd suggest coming down to the Northern Oregon Gathering and seeing all the trailers. Everything from a Burro to Bigfoot 5th wheel. Folks will proudly let you tour their trailers and answer all the questions you have.

Northern Oregon Gathering - Fall Event 2010, October 8-10, 2010
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #25

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The wood interior cabinet Burro that recently sold was mine. I am still kicking myself for doing so.

The inner hull IS a hull, not a liner. It is as thick as the outer, with the addition of having the furniture in the mold. It is not just cosmetic or for pure function, it is a big part of the mechanical integrity of the unit.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #26

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Edited to add: Warning! Nerdy and possibly annoying post follows. Also maybe boring. Okay, forewarned

Quote:
The inner hull IS a hull, not a liner. It is as thick as the outer, with the addition of having the furniture in the mold. It is not just cosmetic or for pure function, it is a big part of the mechanical integrity of the unit.
Fair enough, Gina. My background is in boating, and a similar feature on a boat would be called a liner, not a double-hull, unless it was... a second hull. Many, many boats - mostly since the early 80s, have liners very similar to the U-haul liner. i.e. a fairly thick "unit" that makes up the furniture and some walls, and is tacked/glued/attached to the hull in some places. They do add some support but I would not call that style "structural" or say that it adds a hull.

My personal feeling is that the Burro liner (at least based on my knowledge of the U-haul liner, which looks similar) is that I would call it a semi-structural liner. I can believe that it adds some stiffness to the roof, because of how it is tabbed to the roof a few inches or so (maybe 6"?) out from the central seam. I wouldn't think it gives a lot of support on the sides, but I think it would give some around the windows (although the windows themselves probably stiffen it up some too).

At least in the fiberglass boating world, the "strength" of a liner is mostly about the attachment points. Fewer attachment points (and/or sandwich-skin-tension) effect, equals less structural help. Another way boats develop liner strength (usually in the floors) is by having a structural grid (of half tubes, say) molded into the area under the floor and tabbed to the hull. Shape + attachment. Once the attachment bonds are broken (if they are, say in an accident or due to sloppy construction), then most of their strength is gone.

A cored (sandwich) structure is similar, like, say two fiberglass skins bonded to a "filling" of balsa wood. Any of the three would be pretty floppy on their own, but if they are (and stay) thoroughly bonded together you get an "I beam" effect and it makes a much, much stronger material. If the core rots and/or the skins become delaminated, they go right back to floppy city.

Okay, 95% of the people that started reading this are probably snoring by now, but I wanted to explain my thoughts on the liner. By the way, I like it, and that was one feature I really liked on the U-haul. I think it's a great feature, so I'm not knocking it at all. Also, maybe the Burro is different than the U-haul. On the U-haul there were few attachment/bonding points between the liner and the shell. For example, there was a large area of "un-supported" fiberglass behind the kitchen unit, and if you went outside there, and pressed on the fiberglass, you could make it move easily. Not that it was going to break, but it was "floppy," as fiberglass tends to be in a relatively straight, unsupported panel. If the Burro has more attachment points, or tabbing - like say if the U-haul had had mini "bulkheads" behind the kitchen, or etc., then the Burro may have a more structural liner than the U-haul. I was thinking they were probably similar, but I have not seen a Burro up close. At any rate, they are both great designs, and clearly plenty sturdy (30 years later kind of proves that). I think the shiny interior is a big plus, and for my own trailer I wanted either that or Ensolite, as opposed to carpet or fur.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #27

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
My recollection of my Burro was that I could make the fiberglass move by leaning on it.

CindyL

PS: The real difference I find between my earlier Burro and my current UHaul, aside from the size difference, is that the Burro was white, inside and out. The UHaul is slightly off-white or even a light tan. The tongue on my Uhaul is longer, but I am not sure what it is on a CT. In our Eurovan, when we opened the back gate (which lifts up), we always had to figure out a way to keep it from hitting the Burro. Our UHaul tongue is long enough that this is not an issue. Structurally, the UHaul was made stronger, but we have not found a difference in pulling either of them, despite the fact that the UHaul is heavier. Both pulled like a dream.
The biggest difference that has affected us is the proprietary nature of the Uhaul, finding the repair parts when you need them.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
The rear hatch on our quest swings up with plenty of room when we are hooked up to our ct.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #29

Registry
Good stuff! I'm learning a lot!

Gina, that was a gorgeous little trailer. I can understand your regret...but somebody is probably loving all your modifications, and lots of us are benefiting from your know-how.

The worst part of looking at all the ads is finding reasonable deals within my area before I actually have the cash to buy! I do plan on going to the Sweet Home rally. I'm not free for the Bandon get-together, as I have to be in eastern Oregon that weekend.

FYI, there's a cute little U-Haul in the Seattle CL listings. I'll post on the Referrals.

M
Old 06-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #30

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
My 2001 chrysler voyager tailgate clears the CT13 uhaul easily also....that said, I've seen some hitches that hung out further than others on some cars etc that would affect the operation on some ,allowing an inch or two more , and the opposite is true for some.
Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #31

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
To follow up on your observations of U-haul kitchen walls, the Burros are also unsupported. My Burro has a very spongy wall due to this large, flat plane that has resulted in several stress cracks. Eventually, I intend to epoxy a few strong back strips of contour shaped plywood to the wall and tab the overhanging cabinet to the ceiling to strengthen the hull and unify the structures to attain better strength. I have way too much work on my plate to get this ready for Alaska in Aug. Currently i'm painting the exterior so I can re-insert the windows/vent.

Quote:
Okay, 95% of the people that started reading this are probably snoring by now, but I wanted to explain my thoughts on the liner. By the way, I like it, and that was one feature I really liked on the U-haul. I think it's a great feature, so I'm not knocking it at all. Also, maybe the Burro is different than the U-haul. On the U-haul there were few attachment/bonding points between the liner and the shell. For example, there was a large area of "un-supported" fiberglass behind the kitchen unit, and if you went outside there, and pressed on the fiberglass, you could make it move easily. Not that it was going to break, but it was "floppy," as fiberglass tends to be in a relatively straight, unsupported panel. If the Burro has more attachment points, or tabbing - like say if the U-haul had had mini "bulkheads" behind the kitchen, or etc., then the Burro may have a more structural liner than the U-haul. I was thinking they were probably similar, but I have not seen a Burro up close. At any rate, they are both great designs, and clearly plenty sturdy (30 years later kind of proves that). I think the shiny interior is a big plus, and for my own trailer I wanted either that or Ensolite, as opposed to carpet or fur.

Raya
Attached Thumbnails
paint_lines.jpg  
kyle minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #32

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry

You have beautiful light in that work area! it would make a great artist's studio, the way it wraps around so softly! Are those skylights?

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #33

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
Quote:
Hey folks...

Just wondering if the u-Hauls are double-hulled like the Burros? Also, any other major differences between these two? From what I understand, they're the same molds, and Burro made the U-Hauls...am I off base?

thanks!
Raya is correct about the proprietary hubs (axle) and wheels. The wheels do have a standard Chevy bolt pattern, but they are made in such a way that they need to be "off set" to fit their axle and wheel housing. As far as the hubs, they tend to be hard to find, and the bearings are a sealed unit, and just as difficult to find. But I have been told by my local trailer shop (who is putting a new Dexter axle, drums, etc on my ct next week) that the older U-Haul car dollies have the same hubs as the ct. Could be another source for hubs that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.

Marty D
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #34

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
that's funny, because I am an artist and that's my studio. it's at the end of a pier over the bay and has lots of high windows and clerestories. i'm in between coats of paint on the Burro so will post pics later.

Quote:
You have beautiful light in that work area! it would make a great artist's studio, the way it wraps around so softly! Are those skylights?

Regards,

Matt
kyle minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
that's funny, because I am an artist and that's my studio. it's at the end of a pier over the bay and has lots of high windows and clerestories.
Ooh, neato!
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, u-haul