Butyl Sealing Tape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Butyl Sealing Tape

Before I pick up our Boler in storage I would like to source and purchase some sealant to redo the windows and roof vent. I will choose 1/8" thick but how wide? 1/2", 3/4", or 1"? Thanks folks!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I would go at least as wide as the flanges you need to seal. Butyl is easy to trim off after doing the install. Better too much than risking leaving any gaps.

You'll most likely need to resnug the fasteners and trim off more excess after a year or so of temperature cycling with the seasons.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I agree with sealing tape as least as wide as the flanges. I've done this with success in the past. A narrower tape may work but why take the chance. It also helps with keeping dust and debris from accumulating under the edge of the flanges. I trimmed to the edge of the flange and retightened the screws a year later.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I bought butyl tape at a building supply. It's used to seal metal roofing panels. It's thinner (1/8") and narrower (1/2") than what the rv store sells. For width, I doubled up. For height I stacked it. I've done windows, roof fan, water inlet, etc. No failures. Best done on a warm sunny day. Tightening the screws causes the stuff to meld and ooze out the edge. Trim with a dull putty knife.

The stuff is sticky and attracts dirt. The last time I used it was the roof fan. I sealed the edges with Lexel to keep it clean. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We trimmed our butyl tape back around the windows and belly band with the rounded ends of popsicle sticks left over from some craft project decades ago. Made a nice coved edge and didn't scrape the paint at all. Interesting idea to seal the exposed portions of the butyl tape! Lexel, eh?

BEST
Kai
Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We trimmed our butyl tape back around the windows and belly band with the rounded ends of popsicle sticks left over from some craft project decades ago. Made a nice coved edge and didn't scrape the paint at all. Interesting idea to seal the exposed portions of the butyl tape! Lexel, eh?

BEST
Kai
Sealing it was recommended by another member. Using Lexel was my idea. Be aware, it's not easy to work. You have to be quick.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Sealing something that has already been sealed with butyl tape is mostly cosmetic. It would make a better looking seam, but do little to add to the integrity of the seal.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #8

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Sealing tape

I agree and acknowledge your advice. This Boler has sat in a garage for 15 or 16 years and the sealant is probably original from its 1974 birth. I plan to repaint top and bottom, so the windows will be coming out for that. I saw it 3.5 hours away, bought it, and pick it up in a month or less. I don't know how wide the flanges are but wanted to source the tape before hand. Didn't pre-measure so don't know what the flange width is on OEM windows or what thickness is needed. Anyone who has done their Boler and can remember can pipe in, anytime! Lol! Mitch thanks!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Sealing something that has already been sealed with butyl tape is mostly cosmetic. It would make a better looking seam, but do little to add to the integrity of the seal.
Yup, and that's what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post

The stuff [butyl tape] is sticky and attracts dirt. The last time I used it was the roof fan. I sealed the edges with Lexel to keep it clean. Raz