Butyl Tape for vent reseal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #1

Name: Elaine
Trailer: Casita freedom deluxe 16
Arizona
Butyl Tape for vent reseal

I think I have the real Butyl tape ( stretches but not all the sticky) and need to reseal my fantastic fan vent in my casita. The tape label says Dicor BT 1 1/8" x 3/4 x 30
Will this be the right size ( width and thickness) to do the job?
How long does it take to harden?
Is Butyl tape stickier as it warms up? (I just took my tape roll out of the shed outside)?
After reading the forum on butyl tape, i want to one, make sure I have the right stuff and two, the right size to get the job done right the first time.
Appreciate all your input
Miscellaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When it hardens, after many years, it's time to replace it.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Bought at an auto supply store. Not sticky, and I don't think it will ever harden...well Arizona sun might be the exception.
Attached Thumbnails
Butyl-tape.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Thanks for posting. I was wondering exactly the same things you posted about butyl tape, and Glenn's response.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I used butyl tape between the flange and the roof of the camper for my Maxxfan install, and Dicor self-leveling lap sealant on the edges and rivets. No leaks yet...
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #6

Tennessee
About 9 months ago or so I put on a Maxx air vent cover and used Butyl tape under the edges, then Heng's sealant around outside of the edges. I used Heng's because Big Foot RV mfg used it on my Big Foot 25R. The butyl tape did not seem all that sticky, but I was not overly concerned at the time. Frankly I like the look of Dicor self leveling more than Heng's, but the Heng's seems to work ok.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #7

Name: Elaine
Trailer: Casita freedom deluxe 16
Arizona
caulk on vent

thanks for info so far... I am wondering now about an extra bead of butyl tape around the outside edges before the self leveling caulk.,..
YES or NO???
Miscellaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscellaneous View Post
thanks for info so far... I am wondering now about an extra bead of butyl tape around the outside edges before the self leveling caulk.,..
YES or NO???

Butyl tape forms a gasket between the parts. I'd say no.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:34 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
About 9 months ago or so I put on a Maxx air vent cover and used Butyl tape under the edges, then Heng's sealant around outside of the edges. I used Heng's because Big Foot RV mfg used it on my Big Foot 25R. The butyl tape did not seem all that sticky, but I was not overly concerned at the time. Frankly I like the look of Dicor self leveling more than Heng's, but the Heng's seems to work ok.
How do you like your Max air vent cover. I have been meaning to research them.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:34 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
in my Casita I actually raised the whole unit, Max air vent up an Inch and a half, using 2 3/4 inch thick Plastic like wood, and I used Butyl tape as a gasket between all layers where they squished together. I did do this in warm weather and it's been 2 years with no leaks and Tom we love it being able to have it open with the fan on when there is rain outside and it is quiet and smooth running. I did not opt for the remote but it's not that far to reach up and turn off or on. we love it
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:02 AM   #11

Tennessee
Gerry you raised the whole unit! What an interesting idea. The Maxxair cover attaches to the side of the vent flange with bolts, if I recall correctly. When you raised the vent cover how did you attach it to the vent flange? There is not much room when the cover rests on a piece of plastic gasket (for lack of a better description).
Old 12-31-2019, 06:32 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Henry I went to local Home Depot and got some inch and half wide by 3/4 thick, composite lumber and built this up around edges of the existing vent hole in the roof. Using S.S. Screws from the inside up through the whole thing but as said used Butyl tape between layers of composite pieces and also where it came into contact with the roof of the Casita. the tape squeezed right down to almost nothing.... I then just placed the maxvent on top of the raised pieces so whole fan is actually an inch and a half above the ceiling.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:03 PM   #13

Tennessee
Very creative Gerry. Very nice indeed.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #14

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscellaneous View Post
YES or NO???
No, this is not what it is used for. It is used like a gasket, between the flange and the roof, then the flange is screwed down, excess butyl scraped off (several times and screws retightened several times) then the area is masked for a neat line and the self leveling butyl (Dicor 501-LSW) applied over the joint and screw heads. Do not apply the butyl tape to the exterior, it isn't made for that.

Charles
Old 01-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #15

Tennessee
Thanks Charles, another piece of the puzzle falls into place. At this rate I will need to buy a new TT. Maybe my wife is right, my projects resemble something Jethro Clampett would be proud of...
Old 01-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #16

Name: richard
Trailer: "In the market"
South Carolina
Jethro Bodine

It's Jethro Bodine. He was a nephew to Jed.
tarpkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #17

Tennessee
You are correct. I can't even get that right....
Old 01-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
I used butyl tape between the flange and the roof of the camper for my Maxxfan install, and Dicor self-leveling lap sealant on the edges and rivets. No leaks yet...
Exactly what I did with my Maxxfan. It's only been on for 8 months but looks like the day I installed the unit.
Humblepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
In the summer time when it is hot I put my butyl tape in the fridge to cool it down so it is not so sticky to apply it.

In the winter time I have to warm it up to make it softer so it is easier to apply. Something I will need to be doing later this month where I am doing some work with the "rope caulking" form of butyl rubber tape where I am pushing it into a gap. I will just set it on the counter in front of my cube heater and warm it up to get it nice and pliable and somewhat sticky. Around 70 to 80 degrees will be perfect but I will have to work quickly on that outdoor task. Maybe even keep the roll inside one of those insulated hot bags next to where I am working.

I don't think anyone is now selling that old stuff that got hard now. If it is a recent purchase of new stock made in the last 7 years or so it is a "lifetime" viable product. But that said once it is applied and has been out in the weather for a while the surface exposed to the sun gets coated with some dust over time and then it will feel somewhat hard and not at all sticky. But if you were the remove the fitting it is sandwiched under you would find out that between the pieces it is still elastic and sticky unless of course you are doing that removal it in freezing cold weather in which case it won't feel sticky until it warms up some.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:40 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I just started on some roof penetration resealing projects since I have the time. And my tape that I bought back in 2016 acts the same way it did when I first got it. Warm its sticky, cold it is not.

The fridge vet I pulled off hasn't been off the camper since is was new, and the tape under the flange was still soft and pliable, the Dicor self leveling sealant and the Plas T Cote long since hardened to rock hard in some areas.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote