Buying a hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2003, 07:44 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Buying a hitch

I've waited a couple of weeks for a hitch to come into the local Toyota dealership. I learned today that not only have they not located one, they are an aftermaket product anyhow. The previa is long out of production, but I found this site that shows four different hitches for my '92.

http://hitches4less.com/orevua.html

How safe is it to "buy off the shelf" from discounters? And what model should I be buying?

Thanks, :wave

Kath
Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:47 PM   #2

Another thought

Kath - Are you talking about just a regular hitch? Have you tried U-Haul? They install hitches all the time and they know how to do it. I've heard their prices are very reasonable, too.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:49 PM   #3

Size

I wouldn't get anything smaller than a class III.

Old 03-10-2003, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz

Kitty - Are you talking about just a regular hitch? Have you tried U-Haul? They install hitches all the time and they know how to do it. I've heard their prices are very reasonable, too.
Oh! I think I heard that once, too. And they don't want their trailers broke, so I bet they DO do a pretty good job.

Thanks!

Kath
Old 03-10-2003, 08:17 PM   #5

I second UHaul; had them put a hitch on a Saturn once and they did a good job. BTW, they are about the only place that carries a 1 7/8" ball on the small shank that is rated for greater than 2,000 lbs.

Pete and Rats

Old 03-10-2003, 08:39 PM   #6

How do you measure this thang?

Are hitches rated as the smaller the number the bigger the hitch? I see U-haul only offers Class 1 or Class 2.

Thanks,

Kath :o
Old 03-10-2003, 08:54 PM   #7

only offers up to a 2 - that sounds strange.
but the bigger the number the bigger the hitch weight
1 up tp 2000 (?)
2 up to 3500
3 up to ??? I have no idea. :lol

Old 03-10-2003, 09:28 PM   #8

U-haul Class 2 hitch

Toyota would only sell me a 2, as well. I think it has something to do with the Previa only being rated up to 3500 tow capacity. I will make it a point not to overload that. Yup. :o

Old 03-11-2003, 07:11 AM   #9

>>u-haul only offers Class 1 or Class 2

Kath, U-haul offers a full range of hitches, up to Class 4. I've had them put hitches on several vehicles over the year ... and recommend them highly!

Warranty issues (which are rare) are covered coast-to-coast.

U-haul, however, probably only offers the two smaller hitches for your particular tow vehicle that would install without modification.

A Class 2 hitch would suffice for a fiberglass trailer 16 foot or less ... (Although a Class 3 would be stronger and offer a wider choice of drawbars and strength.)

Why don't you take your van to a U-haul place and talk to them?

Have them take a look under your vehicle and see what they think would fit!

U-haul is the hitch expert!
Old 03-11-2003, 09:22 AM   #10

Hitch

Kath,

I think that everyone is giving you good advice here and if you get a smaller trailer you will be ok with a class II hitch. What you are being told at the dealer is correct and you need to keep the trailer weight very light. They will only sell you a hitch that the vehicle can handle because they can be held liable otherwise. The total weight of the trailer and all of your extras should only weigh 80% of the 3500 lbs.

If you can afford it, consider trading for a larger tow vehicle. One with a 500 lb hitch and 5000 lb trailer rating. You will be much happier with the way it handles and will be able to have a little larger trailer if you wish. There are exceptions, but most of us tend to prefer the 16 or 17 foot trailers and they can be too much for your vehicle when loaded. Any of these vehicles can have a class III hitch, and as Charles pointed out, which provides for better adjustments for the set up.

Having your own little house following you around where ever you go should be an enjoyable experience. The tow vehicle, hitch, and trailer setup will make it enjoyable or HELL ON WHEELS.

:steer
Old 03-11-2003, 10:01 AM   #11

My little Previa

Trading up vehicles is simply not an option for dozens of reasons. The Previa is a great car and nothing on the market currently rivals the particular features we enjoy most-- at any price. Toyota replaced it with the Sienna, and that doesn't even come close to what we want.

We do have a 4WD truck that can pull much heavier loads and we will likely use it when it's just the two of us, but we want to be able to enjoy the occasional company of our college age daughters, so we need those extra seats.

Kath ;)
Old 03-11-2003, 11:36 AM   #12

Hitch for Toyota van

Kath, Southwest Wheel has the class III hitch for your van at $99.55 with $20.00 freight. I have used this company and found them to be fast, reliable and they have the best prices on some items like brake controllers. Follow the link below.

http://www.etrailerpart.com/MyWebs/myweb/c...111_1800727.htm
Old 03-11-2003, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Orginally posted by Craig Nold

Kath, Southwest Wheel has the class III hitch for your van at $99.55 with $20.00 freight.
"No drill" application? 30 minute estimated installation time? Is this possible?

Cool. Waiting to hear back from U-haul. The guy who I talked to last night was trying to get me to book an installation time. They guy I talked to today wonders where he can find a Previa hitch. Huh.

Can hitch balls be swapped around?

Kath
Old 03-11-2003, 02:15 PM   #14

Previa Hitch

Kath,

We had a '92 Previa and found the perfect hitch at http://www.hitch-web.com/

It's a Putnam, #25111, CJ Series Receiver. It's weight ratings are 3500/350 weight carrying, and 4000/400 weight distributing. We used a weight distributing hitch with this receiver and always kept the trailer weight around 2800 lbs, tongue weight of 320 - 340lbs. Because even though the hitch with weight distributing is rated higher, the van is still rated for 3500/350lbs.

The people at Hitch-Web were very helpful. And delivery was fast. No problems, at all.

Carol C
Old 03-11-2003, 04:38 PM   #15

Ordered & Paid for!

All,

We deceided to go with the Class II from U-haul because we intend to stay well under the 3500lbs limit given for both the hitch and the vehicle. SInce we're counting pounds so carefully, it seemed impractical to add extra weight in the form of the hitch itself.

U-haul's price for hitch, installation and wiring is looking to be about half of what Toyota wanted.

The hitch is supposed to get in tomorrow and be installed before the weekend. We hope to go up to B.C. on Saturday and check out the Bigfoot we're interested in.

Thanks for all the info!

Kath
Old 03-11-2003, 04:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Orginally posted by Kath Lynch

Can hitch balls be swapped around?

Kath
I believe they are sold separately so you can change them all you like. :)
Old 03-11-2003, 08:41 PM   #17

Be aware they come in different shank (the treaded shaft that comes out the bottom) diameters and length. They also sell bushings to allow a small shank to be safely used in a large hole on the ball mount.

More info at www.reesehitch.com

Pete and Rats

Old 03-11-2003, 09:12 PM   #18

Quote:
I believe they are sold separately so you can change them all you like. :)
Oh! Something fun to do on a sunny day! ;)
Quote:
Be aware they come in different shank (the treaded shaft that comes out the bottom) diameters and length. They also sell bushings to allow a small shank to be safely used in a large hole on the ball mount.
Good. I have swapped around different balls on fender mounted tows before. I've just never messed with the new-fangled axel mounted-- at least I think that's what they are-- rigs.

First thing I'm gonna do is get me a propeller. Wheeeeee! :cool

Kath
Old 03-14-2003, 08:49 AM   #19

U-haul comes through

My hitch is installed, thanks to great work by U-haul. The guy who installed it had the absolute twin to my Previa. He says he's pulled an "Aladdin Genie" around behind it with no problem. I've never heard of that brand, but it must be heavier than the little rigs I'm looking for, so it's all good news! :banana

Kath
Old 03-14-2003, 09:23 AM   #20

Good to hear.