Buying a trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Orginally posted by Maggie O.

Here's a story for you.
Asking price was $3000 US, which was a little odd as he had sold it for $3500 Canadian the first time. ------- We're happy.
Glad Maggie brought out the difference between US and CDN dollar rate. The orginal price of $3500 CDN is about $2275 US if I did my math right (in other words, if you walked in to a bank in US with $2275 US dollars and wanted Canadian dollars, they would give you $3500 Canadian dollars, depending on rate that particular day). I'm disappointed my northern neighbor opted to up the price on Maggie and take advantage of the situation like he did. Guess you can run into that anywhere. It appears Maggie did her home work before buying a used trailer in another country, checking with DMV and all. If you write a check on a US bank in Canada or any other foreign country, always specify US funds or Canadian funds. It gives you some protection and locks in the exchange rate to a particular date. Important thing is that Maggie is happy!
Pat

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 11:05 AM   #22

We have decided to risk it...

Hi Charles, we have decided to take the risk of making a trip for nothing and for (at worst) losing a $500 deposit. We are driving from OR to CO at the end of this month to pick up our "new" 11 year old Scamp 5th wheel. We did LOTS of talking with the owner and his daughter via telephone and email. They sent lots of pictures. We asked lots of questions. We offered him $2000 less than he was asking. When he accepted it, we took the risk. There are not that many 5th wheel Scamps for sale on the west coast. We thought we could pretty much fix anything that needed fixing inside if the need be. The outside looks in almost perfect shape. We have an agreement in writing with him that the camper will be as claimed or we will not buy it.

I think that buying long-distance depends on what type of personality one is. We are usually willing to take some risks in life that others may not readily take. We may get burned on this one. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Nancy

Old 03-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #23

Congradulations

Hi Nancy. I am glad you found a trailer. It maybe the same trailer i was interested in. I seen it on rvtrader a 5th wheel scamp in colorado talked to the owner and got pictures seemed like a nice trailer but we decided to go with a casita--didnt want to get so close to the towing limit on my ranger truck. I dont know how well the ranger will pull a casita but if it doesnt we can use my wifes explorer an option we wouldnt have with a 5er. I have a verbal commitment on a 17' casita 10 hours from home, i will go thursday and pick it up if it is as stated, if not i will make a 20hr. trip for nothing. But the owner was agreeable enough to deal with me without a deposit so all i have to lose is time and gas which is no little item these days!!!!!!!!! Let me know how your deal turns out, i post my results as soon as i get back. :lol :lol

Old 03-04-2003, 06:11 PM   #24

Oh, good luck, Charles on your used Casita. I hope it's exactly what you want. I'll let you know how our "risk" turns out.

Nancy

Old 03-05-2003, 08:54 PM   #25

buying sight unseen

In 2000, when seeking to buy a Boler, I responded to an ad for one in Vancouver. The owner indicated it was in good shape, just repainted the interior etc. I asked the right questions, and the answers pleased me. The next day I drove 300 miles to see it, with the promise that he would not sell it until I appeared. He had my cell number, if he wanted to contact me.

I arrived at the property, and saw an old dilapidated trailer in the yard. Kids used it as a playhouse, and it had a broken frame. He greeted me and told me he had it sold before I got there! I was disappointed in his lack of honesty, but felt the unit was unsafe to tow, and his price was very high for its condition.

I did suceed a few months later in finding one; these people were honest.

I would recommend that the purchaser provide photos, preferably with a digital camera, so you can request close ups or additional photos on short notice.

Good luck in your search

Old 03-06-2003, 09:27 AM   #26

For sure on the, Rick. I would have to see a picture. I know it can be edited or not be the real one, but I think MOST are honest. but then there is that one here and there that have trouble with the meaning, or their idea of honest and mine aren't the same.

Old 03-07-2003, 08:56 AM   #27

Proud owners

Well i am happy to report that we are the very proud owners of a 98 casita 17' spirit delux after driving over 1000 miles in 30 hours. Praise God for a safe trip with no problems other than a rear tire on my ranger had to be replaced!!!!! The trailer was exactly as described and after looking it over i could not find any reason not to buy it. It was quite a hassle to get my bank to approve the loan without me seeing the trailer and then wait till i seen it before they finalized it, but they did and once i seen it , just a simple phone call to them and i was on the road to east tx. We cant wait to make our first trip! just need to de-winterize it and we must also give her a name-any suggestions? I was thinking mabe Stanleys EggScape? Well we thank everone for their help and suggestions, cant wait to escape in the eggscape!!:cblob :cblob :cblob :cblob :cblob :cblob

Old 03-07-2003, 02:45 PM   #28

Woo Hoo!!!

Congratulations, Charlie, to you and your wife on your new arrival! (I'm getting anxious to go get mine soon.) May you have many years of happy traveling!

Nancy

Old 03-14-2003, 08:08 PM   #29

First, learn what to look for!

About a year ago, I bought a '91 Scamp 16 on an E-Bay auction. Although I still really like this trailer (it is still an egg, right?) and have finally corrected the various rotten wood problems, I did NOT do a good job buying it since at the time I was not sure what to look for when I went to pay for it and pick it up. IF I had known what to look for, I would have quickly determined that this unit had problems, but the trailer and all the other stuff in it looked OK: AC, stove, refrigerator, toilet and shower worked, so how bad could it be? I bought it and towed it from Mobile, AL to Tampa, FL without incident.

The seller in this case was either dishonest, ignorant or both, as he had only owned it a couple years and much of the damage could have occurred prior to his purchase. Someone had already done a sorry job of replacing part of the upper rear floor under the water tank. In addition, there was silicone sealer slathered over much of the rotted floor under the water heater, the connection leaks of which probably caused all the problems to start with. Also, part of the lower rear floor had been patched with fiberglass and steel angle, but was rotten anyway.

Prior to buying it, I had called the Scamp manufacturer to inquire as to the liklihood of rotten wood floors. They reassured me that the floors were 'impregnated' with resin and thus would not rot. WRONG! Scamp floors are made of OSB instead of plywood, which in my opinion is only slightly better than heavy cardboard. They seem to have put a light coat of resin on them, but the idea that they are 'impregnated' with it is a hoot. If OSB gets and stays wet, it swells and rots, period, which is what happened to the floor in the trailer I bought. See my posts elsewhere on this board for details.

In answer to the question though, because there are so relatively few of these around, you are almost assured of having to drive a good ways when buying one. IF I was to do this again, I would probably request numerous digital photos of the undercarriage and make any purchase agreement contingent on the lack of rot, etc.

Old 03-26-2003, 07:31 PM   #30

Reporting In

Well, just wanted to tell you that we had a good experience with buying long distance. As I told you before, we talked to the owner (and his daughter) many times. We asked for lots of inside and outside pictures. We sent him a bunch of questions. Then we gave him a $500 deposit with the option to back out and get our money returned if the trailer was not as the owner had said it was.

The only thing wrong that the owner did not tell us about was a leak in the roof vent over the bed. In all honesty, the owner might not have known that it was there. The headliner was a bit saggy and loose on the ceiling in that area. We hit quite violent winds on the way home and it might have made the leak worse. On the second day we noticed that some water was coming in around the vent frame. This is not a big problem so even knowing about the leak we still would have bought the trailer for the price we paid for it.

Nancy