Calmark RV Covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Good Day Everyone -

My Dad has a large storage shed rented in town where he keeps his second child, a 1966 Chevelle Malibu Hardtop. The shed is pretty big so he thought I could squeeze the 13' Scamp in there with it for winter storage.

After several attempts yesterday, we just could not make it work. He wasn't too keen on my suggestion to leave the Chevelle outside for the winter.

So the Scamp is back home in it's spot. I'm considering a Calmark RV cover, but I'm concerned about the fabric (I'd go with Sunbrella) rubbing against the trailer and dulling the finish.

I'm not just thinking for winter cover either, we park our Scamp under a tree and it gets very dirty, very quickly with dirt, bird poop, and helicopter seeds . I would throw the cover over when it's not being camped.

Anyone here have experience or thoughts on the cover doing more damage to the finish of the Scamp, rather than leaving it uncovered in the elements?

Thanks!

Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
leaving it uncovered in the elements?
It won't fit in our Elements.

I tried.

I lost.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Jeremy, it's best to park it inside, but past that a good coat of wax a couple of times a year should be all it takes. I won't cover mine. The Airstream gets stored for the winter. I keep the Scamp at home and outside, stored on the RV pad in the event I may have a need to use it this winter.

Roger

on edit: Gina..
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I'm not sure this helps but I am putting on a new Calmark "Sunbrell" cover on my 2005 Scamp 13' tomorrow. If anything comes up worth mentioning I'll get back to you soon. I too am parking in the woods near saltchuck.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Witt@Nov 21 2005, 06:23 AM
...and helicopter seeds
You Grow Helicopters in IOWA?

By the time I might get a cover over the Fiber Stream, I'd have to be taking it off again to go camping!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:56 PM   #6

Registry
Well today I put the CalMark 2500 Sumbrella on my 13' Scamp. I still have some adjsting to do and, even then it seems tight over the awning assy.

I'm in conversation with Calmark to see if we had a communication problem over what it was I wanted to cover (awning) and not cover (A/C). One way or the other this cover should do the job.

I have the Scamp jacked up off the wheels, dehumidifiers in, plumbing drained and antifreeze in. Come spring we'll see if I've got it right.
Attached Thumbnails
Reduced_Cover.jpg  
Old 11-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
If I had to store my Casita outside, it would be under the Calmark cover for sure. The Sun is your enemy for the trailer and the tires.

I see that they are selling them on Ebay, don't know if that gets lower price or not.

Calmark on Ebay
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:33 PM   #8

Registry
Talked to Calmark about my new cover (See above). We had a communication problem and they are more than ready to fix it for me by return mail. I'm good. Ron
Old 11-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure this helps but I am putting on a new Calmark "Sunbrell" cover on my 2005 Scamp 13' tomorrow. If anything comes up worth mentioning I'll get back to you soon. I too am parking in the woods near saltchuck.
Okay, I give up...what's "saltchuck"?

Ron N
Tigard, Oregon
(that's Orygun, not Orygone)
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:16 PM   #10

Registry
To Ron N

Sorry, here in WaRshington Saltchuck is nearshore seawater bays and inlets.

RonMayo
Old 11-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Sorry, here in WaRshington Saltchuck is nearshore seawater bays and inlets..
Apologies? Learning about the other areas from members who live there is one of the great side benefits of this forum! My word for the day: "[b]saltchuck".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
I'm 59 years old, have lived in nine states, 45 different cities, visited nine foreign countries, fought in a war, went through two wives, have been in every state but Alaska, college educated, an engineer for a Fortune 500 company, and, ya know, I've never heard of "saltchuck". Imagine that!! LOL

Ron N
Tigard, Oregon
(that's Orygun, not Orygone)
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:33 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Richie Rod
I debated whether to get the CalMark, but in the end I went ahead and got one. It fits pretty good and along with a dehumidifier, Damp Rid, and open containers of apple cider vinegar (thanks to whomever suggested that) it smells pretty good inside too. I'm amazed as to how quickly that cover dries out after a good soaking.
Richie Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #14

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Well, it's been 8 years for you who bought a Calmark cover...how are they holding up? I am considering buying one for my 13 ft Scamp. They make them custom to fit over my a/c, tv antenna, awning, etc. it's over $500... Worth the money? I'm also worried about it rubbing off my finish. Thanks for any advice, feedback.
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
I covered my trailer with a CalMark last year, and like it a lot. I pad the sharp edges (solar, awning corner) and only use the two straps, not the bottom cinches. I found that water would collect in little pockets if I cinched it. Have noticed no damage to the finish. Because it isn't cinched, it kind of "billows" in the wind, but doesn't rub.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #16

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Thanks Bob. It has been a little hard to swallow $513 , I think that is the CalMark against the $119 one on eBay.
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
I went through 2 inexpensive covers in 2 years when I had a pop-up. When I got the Escape I decided I'd better get something that would last a little longer than a year. Just put it on for year two, and there's no sign of wear, just some dirt. When I wash it I'll likely need to use a large commercial washer, though.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #18

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
calmark travel trailer covers

Hi, we are considering getting a cover for our BigFoot. Our main concern is if the cover will chafe the fiberglass. Has anyone had a problem with wind?
We live in the desert and high wind and hot weather is our problem. It is not an option to get a covered carport because of the strick County Codes in our area.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote