Can I cut the fiberglass cabinet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 06:23 AM   #1

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Can I cut the fiberglass cabinet?

Hi all! Has anybody cut through the white fiberglass cabinets?
My Scamp has these tiny 3 cabinets on top of the sink/stove.
I want to cut it and make it into 1 big opening and put sliders in.
The tiny cabinets are a pain to get to and the inbetween covered space is a waste. What do ya think?

Structure wise it'll be ok? yes?

I'm also going to put sliders in the rear bed area too because it keeps slamming and a pain to hold that up and get to things. With white plexi glass. I might replace all the bottom doors with plexi too not sure of that but you get the idea!
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As long as you leave plenty of material along the rounded edges and corners, you preserve most of the strength for supporting the roof. You won't be the first to do this mod. I'll look forward to seeing how it comes out!

Protect your skin, eyes, and lungs when cutting fiberglass. The glass strands are nasty.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Hold open top hinged cabinets

Here’s a simple way to hold those cabinets open. Velcro dots hold the “stick” to the door for storage. A screw in the door and notch in the stick holds the stick in place. (When I ran out of molding, I used a paint stirrer😁.)
Attached Thumbnails
C0301920-CFE6-4B41-9E49-6388B3F54E57.jpg  
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Nothing is as simple as it may seem. Cutting the pieces between the current doors (that's my understand of what you want to do) , for one thing results in a raw edges when pieces were on the both the top and bottom.

Also the space behind is accessible since the whole area is open.

I'm at a loss to know why any body thinks they need so much storage space anyway. I have more storage space in 13' than I can use and we camp for 100 days at a time.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #5

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
As long as you leave plenty of material along the rounded edges and corners, you preserve most of the strength for supporting the roof. You won't be the first to do this mod. I'll look forward to seeing how it comes out!

Protect your skin, eyes, and lungs when cutting fiberglass. The glass strands are nasty.
Cool! Thank you! Yes, I'm planning on doing all these mods in the winter (we have long long winters ) so it won't be for awhile but I'm planning ahead so I can get everything ready!
Old 07-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Here’s a simple way to hold those cabinets open. Velcro dots hold the “stick” to the door for storage. A screw in the door and notch in the stick holds the stick in place. (When I ran out of molding, I used a paint stirrer😁.)
Omg I LOVE it! I love how people think up all these things to make life easier
Old 07-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Nothing is as simple as it may seem. Cutting the pieces between the current doors (that's my understand of what you want to do) , for one thing results in a raw edges when pieces were on the both the top and bottom.

Also the space behind is accessible since the whole area is open.

I'm at a loss to know why any body thinks they need so much storage space anyway. I have more storage space in 13' than I can use and we camp for 100 days at a time.
Well...the storage space won't change, it's about accessibility, making life easier
Haven't you scraped your arm on those edges trying to get to the things and thinking that damn edge!! I'm betting you have!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
Well...the storage space won't change, it's about accessibility, making life easier
Haven't you scraped your arm on those edges trying to get to the things and thinking that damn edge!! I'm betting you have!
It is easy to fix raw sharp edges on the openings. Just go to an auto parts store and buy the edge trim that slips over the metal edges on car doors to protect the paint from chips. There is a little big of adhesive inside of those edge trims that secures it in place.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #9

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
It is easy to fix raw sharp edges on the openings. Just go to an auto parts store and buy the edge trim that slips over the metal edges on car doors to protect the paint from chips. There is a little big of adhesive inside of those edge trims that secures it in place.
COOL! But I found out Scamp sells it for only $3 per 4 feet so that way I won't have to strip out the one's that's already on there, the rear ones already have the 3 sides on I only have to cover 1 side each and the front ones, I think I only have to buy the top and bottom