Canadian sources for RV parts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Kevin,

The USPS international page has links to most the information you need. Somewhere buried in there is the size and weight limits and somewhere else there is a calculator for shipping. I've had some rather large or heavy items mailed. (like a 40 lb box of books)

You can also ship to the UPS or Fedex terminals in Buffalo, where you can pick them up and stop at customs on the way back.

Once you have your trailer on the road, you plan your purchases for when you can camp in the USA. Then your purchases are subject to duty free limits.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #22

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Kevin, I have used a Post Office service in Lewiston New York. Less than 5 minutes across the border. You have to register with them and I think they charge about $5/pkg, unless you rent a box number yearly and then it is only $1.50/pkg. You are allowed two names on the box number so you can share it with a friend. Also open Saturday mornings.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Donna and others

I regularily order from the States and other places. UPS/Fedex chargeswere somewhat in line when we had actual customs import duties to pay for foreign shipments. Duty is now almost a thing of the past, and Fedex/UPS rates have not changed.

About a year ago I recieved a package via UPS about the size of a large wallet and about 1/4 pound in weight. Value was stated as $15 US. I was charged an additional $74 in shipping and brokerage charges!!! When I balked at the rates, I was told it was my choice, but that my address would be put on a list of "do not deliver to" names, and I would never get another parcel delivery! I paid up, but I swore never again.

This year, I ordered a bag awning from the US. My only shipment option was UPS. Since the bag awning was such a deal, I swallowed my pride and accepted the shipping method. The charges were $68 Canadian. I took measurements and weight and went to my local Post Office, and checked on the charges were I to ship it back via Canada Post. The postal charges would have been $66. So it might be that UPS/Fedex charges make sense for larger, awkward items. UPS/Fedex might be saying, if you want to ship small, simple stuff that could easily go by post, you'ss pay us for it.

One other note: in my business i have ordered at least 4 laptops and separate accessories through Lenevo. They always ship UPS, and i have never paid additional charges. Maybe Lenevo has a side agreement with them?

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
My friends and I have also ordered a fair amount of product from the US due to our high dollar over to the last couple of years (those days are gone). What we found was USPS was by far the most fair on duties and shipping - in fact most times we did not have to pay duties at all. Just recently I made a large order at monoprice.com and they wrote the total amount on the outside of the box - that parcel did get duties assigned. UPS has charged me outrageous amounts on a few electric basses I got off Ebay.

Recommendation - stick with USPS
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote