canopy shelter for camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2013 13' Scamp
Maine
canopy shelter for camper

I have been looking high and low for some type of shelter for our 13' scamp.

When at home, our best place to park the Scamp is under a pine tree (of course). Being our first full year with this 2013 Scamp, we noticed a lot of sap on the camper. We just finished using the Meguire's 3 part fiberglass restoration (see other post), and we did not want to re-do all that work any time soon.

We decided on the shelter logic 10 x 10 that has open gable ends. Target had 10% off, so we scored this for $90 delivered.

We can easily move the canopy out of the way when we want to take the Scamp out for a trip, we can get in & out easily, and we can take it down and for winter (we use another cover).

After getting this up, we can see that it needs some small reinforcements, so we will probably put some pvc pipe around the downrods, just to make sure they don't bend. We will also duct tape the 2-piece downrods to make sure they stay together (have read reviews where they come apart). Since we want to take it down in the winter, we will not rivet these 2 pieces of the down pole together.

It is only 1 day into having this up, but definitely happy to have our Scamp covered from the Pine Tree droppings and keep our nice fiberglass polish in tact !
Attached Thumbnails
scamp 2 (2).JPG   scamp 1 (2).JPG  

MrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
My next door neighbor has a couple of huge fir trees, (you can see one of them on the right in the first pic,) and dripping sap is all these trees seem to know what to do. I bought, and had installed, a metal carport to cover my whole driveway. My wife doesn't like sap on her new Chevy Silverado either, so selling her on it was no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
post-7936-0-19296100-1479675896_thumb.jpg   Keder Rail1 (Small).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We used one of those over our Uhaul before we got all the leaks fixed. Instead of duct tape you could drill a hole at the joints and put in a sheet metal screw.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Ours gets road black. Dust from tires with the oil from the road leave streaks where water drains. So I could see a $90 cover as a good deal. But would wonder how it will do in winter.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use a 12' X 30' shelter logic at home. Make sure you anchor it down. I also used rope under the canopy to tie the structure together so tubes cannot pull out from each other. the top lasts me about 4 to 5 years in the socal sun. no real rain to speak of and absolutely no snow to worry about.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohn View Post
I have been looking high and low for some type of shelter for our 13' scamp.

When at home, our best place to park the Scamp is under a pine tree (of course). Being our first full year with this 2013 Scamp, we noticed a lot of sap on the camper. We just finished using the Meguire's 3 part fiberglass restoration (see other post), and we did not want to re-do all that work any time soon.

We decided on the shelter logic 10 x 10 that has open gable ends. Target had 10% off, so we scored this for $90 delivered.

We can easily move the canopy out of the way when we want to take the Scamp out for a trip, we can get in & out easily, and we can take it down and for winter (we use another cover).

After getting this up, we can see that it needs some small reinforcements, so we will probably put some pvc pipe around the downrods, just to make sure they don't bend. We will also duct tape the 2-piece downrods to make sure they stay together (have read reviews where they come apart). Since we want to take it down in the winter, we will not rivet these 2 pieces of the down pole together.

It is only 1 day into having this up, but definitely happy to have our Scamp covered from the Pine Tree droppings and keep our nice fiberglass polish in tact !
How would this work for shading the Scamp when camping? Our Scamp doesn't have ac.
DJLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohn View Post
I..

We decided on the shelter logic 10 x 10 that has open gable ends. Target had 10% off, so we scored this for $90 delivered. ..
I got the 20 foot long Shelter Logic temp carport.. It appears to be the same as yours except for the length and six supports instead of four.

I did not use any of the garbage anchors that came with it. Instead I used anchors that are much more sturdy, including concrete anchors for one side that is next to a concrete driveway. It came with four anchors for the four corners but I also added anchors and rope to the middle supports. I also added a few diagonal supports ropes including two that go from the roof to the opposite corner anchors at the back. Furthermore I added sheet metal screws to most of the joints.

So far so good.. its been up since March. A good snow or hail storm with still trash it and high winds might do it in also, but at $100 it can be replaced many times for the cost of a car port. That is assuming it does not damage the Scamp when it flies away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLEE View Post
How would this work for shading the Scamp when camping? Our Scamp doesn't have ac.
Expect it to take a few hours to set up. With the extra I did, it took all day.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:01 AM   #8

Maine
These are reallly good tips! Things i have not thought of. Thanks a bunch!

I wish I could get @Casita Greg’s setup !
Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE= I wish I could get @Casita Greg’s setup ![/QUOTE]

Ain't nothing but a thing and a check to fix that John .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Ain't nothing but a thing and a check to fix that John .
For the OP I think you might be right. It looks like he has room for a nice carport, and if it were me I would spend the money for one.

But perhaps his situation is like mine. A permanent carport is not possible here because of geography and zoning, so I have a temporary one that I am hoping is not too temporary.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #11

Name: karen
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
OR
Gordon: do you think that the Shelter logic will work for my 17' Casita SD??? I am thinking it may be taller than a Scamp but don't really know about that.

thx
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
Gordon: do you think that the Shelter logic will work for my 17' Casita SD??? I am thinking it may be taller than a Scamp but don't really know about that.

thx
I would think so, at least until the shelter comes down

I thought the Scamps were taller but I don't know for sure.
I measured about 8' 9" height with my roof A/C, and it fits in the shelter fine. IIRC it's 10 feet to the peak of the roof. The poles on one side of mine are on blocks and so about 12 inches higher, but even if they were at ground level the Scamp would fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Shelter.jpg  
Old 08-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #13

Name: Ian
Trailer: 17’ Casita Spirit Deluxe
Texas
new Canopy idea

I started with a 10’x13’ sail (10' x 13' Sun Shade Sails Canopy Rectangle Sand, 185GSM Shade Sail UV Block for Patio Garden Outdoor Facility and Activities Sold by: Artouch Direct). -- For the Poles, I intended to cut a heavy dowel into manageable pieces but only found square 8’ 2x2’s @ Lowe’s(or wherever). Cut into pieces 4’ x 4’, then added another 2’, for 10’ height. Originally I used double-threaded molly bolts to connect the pieces, as seen in pic, but I feel like I’ve improved the ‘design’ since last weekend, and now connected the pieces with hinges, and then toggle latch clamps (2 of Anndason Toggle Latch Clamp 4001 ,100Kg 220Lbs Holding Capacity (6PCS) Sold by: Anndason), with a bolt on top to thread into the corners of the sail, and also around which I loop the guy wire around in the other direction. The strength of it comes from anchoring the corners using guy wires connected to the camping stakes (Guyline Tensioner Kit by Tent Tools | 50ft Ultra Reflective Tent Rope with 10 Aluminum Guyline Adjusters | Incredible Strength & Safety in One Package). This latter package btw is really TOPS for the price! You want at least 11” stakes depending on the soil.
and for the polls I submitted a picture of my set up as-is with bolts inside but since I have changed to the second way of connecting the 4 foot segments of 2 x 2 poles. -Ian McAdams
Attached Thumbnails
AF0636A9-8B81-4857-AA71-3E748026DF98.jpg   3A76D5FA-2857-4B8D-9B0F-97EDF528261C.jpg  

05A2D4B2-9A16-420F-8927-07106D973B57.jpg   93F02657-9407-4917-A649-49137C102C4A.jpg  

ianmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #14

Maine
@ianmcadams that is some good ingenuity on the poles! Nice work!
Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #15

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I bought a 10 x 20 canopy from Harbor Freight. I put self-tapping hex head screws in all the joints and bought buckets at the Dollar Store to put the 6 legs in. I drilled cross holes and put in 16 penny nails so the concrete I filled the buckets with would have something to grab on to.

It's 6-ft 8-inches at the sides and much taller in the middle. Plenty of room for the Scamp with some to spare. The canopy is held on with stretchy ties, which I reinforced each one with a zip tie. I also bought some shelf brackets that I screwed to the garage wall at the studs which lined up with the posts and I attached the post to the brackets with hose clamps.

I think the canopy lasted two years, maybe more. Rain, wind, and heat frequently over 100 degrees, and occasionally even 120. I replace the canopy with a new one, actually from Amazon, but still the same size, and gave the new frame to my neighbor who had some plans to build something, I don't know what.

I would have rather built an actual carport, but cost mattered, and still does. I'm quite happy with how it's working out.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #16

Name: Ian
Trailer: 17’ Casita Spirit Deluxe
Texas
Unhappy Did not work like I thought it would ;(

I am responding... to my own posting about: ‘A new canopy idea for a camper’ I think on 8/13/18. That was, as seen below, a system to spread out a tarp canopy over your Casita/trailer, to: block the a/c and roof from direct sunlight-in the middle of summer. Which for Central Southern Texas lasts about 6 months.

Anyway, the cool new design with toggle latches and hinges...did not work. It bent and broke at the hinges.
Fortunately, i still have the same 2x2 lengths with center holes cut, to connect the 3 halves together (to reach 10’), via double-ended wood bolts. THAT worked beautifully, even though it doesn’t look as cool. And, you might have to cover the ends for the screws so you don’t impale yourself.

I am excited to finally try out the new 16’x16’ tarp!! To cover our 17’ Casita, AND provide a porch/awning effect with the leftover cover.

One other thing: we, the two of us, were able to put up: 4 10’ poles, with 4 heavy-duty stakes holding the guy wires to connect to the tops of the poles, that are then threaded through the metal grommeted corners of the tarp . . WHEN it goes OVER the trailer. Because you can temporarily lean 2 poles against your camper while you secure the other two. BUT, I don’t think it would be possible to stabilize all 4 poles over an open area, ie. like over your campground area alone, unless you have at least 3-4 people.

Bon voyage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcadams View Post
I started with a 10’x13’ sail (10' x 13' Sun Shade Sails Canopy Rectangle Sand, 185GSM Shade Sail UV Block for Patio Garden Outdoor Facility and Activities Sold by: Artouch Direct). -- For the Poles, I intended to cut a heavy dowel into manageable pieces but only found square 8’ 2x2’s @ Lowe’s(or wherever). Cut into pieces 4’ x 4’, then added another 2’, for 10’ height. Originally I used double-threaded molly bolts to connect the pieces, as seen in pic, but I feel like I’ve improved the ‘design’ since last weekend, and now connected the pieces with hinges, and then toggle latch clamps (2 of Anndason Toggle Latch Clamp 4001 ,100Kg 220Lbs Holding Capacity (6PCS) Sold by: Anndason), with a bolt on top to thread into the corners of the sail, and also around which I loop the guy wire around in the other direction. The strength of it comes from anchoring the corners using guy wires connected to the camping stakes (Guyline Tensioner Kit by Tent Tools | 50ft Ultra Reflective Tent Rope with 10 Aluminum Guyline Adjusters | Incredible Strength & Safety in One Package). This latter package btw is really TOPS for the price! You want at least 11” stakes depending on the soil.
and for the polls I submitted a picture of my set up as-is with bolts inside but since I have changed to the second way of connecting the 4 foot segments of 2 x 2 poles. -Ian McAdams
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0286.jpg   IMG_0343.jpg  

IMG_0349.jpg   IMG_0350.jpg  

ianmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #17

Name: jagbor
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Costco sells a 10' x 20' car shelter with metal poles etc that I have had for 5 years....works great. At $60/year to keep my Trillium protected from winter and summer, it is dirt cheap!
JuliusB is offline   Reply With Quote