Carrying bikes on front of TV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Carrying bikes on front of TV

Seems I rarely see folks do this and wonder why? If you have the cargo capacity it would seem be at least an option. It is legal in Wisconsin, elsewhere? Do the bikes take more of a beating in front compared to the middle or back? Can you drive at night with them up there? Seems being able to see them and ease of loading would be positives. Thanks for experiences or input.
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Blocks air flow through radiator and may affect cooling. Restricts visual field. Really tough on your bikes.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #3

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
I believe there are a few problems...one is obscuring the lights and the other is impeding the engine cooling system. Sure would be handy, though.
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #4

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
Back in the 1970's, I had a bike rack on the front of my VW bus. It worked great; no problem with the headlights shining through the spokes at night. Unfortunately, today's vehicles have plastic bumpers which don't work well with a bike rack.
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
we use to do it in the 70's and eighties but not much done any more. Cops are not a forgiving these days and can write you for obstruction if they choose to. you are obstructing your vision blocking your lights, turn signals and licence plate plus your visual path. we never got a ticket doing this but did receive a warning once because of blocking turn signals. the practice just fell away and we just didn't want the potential hassle.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi, I am probably not the usual RV traveler with a Full-size van which has dual tow ability on the rear bumper of my tow vehicle. The front of the TV has a cow catcher based on my near encounters with animals on the highways. The bikes are also a last resort in case I have to abandon my RV and TV. Certain times of day the front gets lots of flies & mosquitoes. I like to have the extra weight on my rear axle. I think that it depends on your TV being FWD, AWD or RWD? just my preference.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Plenty of bolt on receiver hitches for the front of F150s. I assume there are similar hitches for other trucks and SUVs.

I've thought about it just for backing my trailer into its very tight parking spot at home.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
Seems I rarely see folks do this and wonder why? If you have the cargo capacity it would seem be at least an option. It is legal in Wisconsin, elsewhere? Do the bikes take more of a beating in front compared to the middle or back? Can you drive at night with them up there? Seems being able to see them and ease of loading would be positives. Thanks for experiences or input.
Tony. I'm surprised you asked.
Others have said why it's not good: your visibility/ blocking your headlights and turn signals etc. I don't think it would affect airflow to the radiator. Can you carry them inside the TV, or the camper?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #9

Name: Mike & Cathy
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Florida
I carry bikes on the front of my truck from time to time. I also carry stuff on a hitch rack mounted in the front receiver. I have a DrawTite front receiver rated at 500# mounted on my GMC Canyon. Bicycles do not restrict the air flow, but they can limit the range of the headlights if they are not hung carefully on the bike rack. That would not be an issue if you do not drive at night. I also have a goalpost hitch rack that can be used on the front for long kayaks when necessary. The receiver will also accommodate a hitch mounted winch.

RanchHand makes a nice front receiver that is integrated with an animal deflector/front cage assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
20200924_153311.jpg   20200929_144453.jpg  

IMJ in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #10

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Front Bike Rack

On my previous TV (2008 GMC Envoy Denali) I had a front receiver installed and used the same carrier used on the rear when not towing the camper. I did not drive at night but I suspect the build up on the lights that 'wipe away' never took off obscured more than the bike. Most road and comfort bikes do not have enough scope to seriously impede air flow and I never noticed coolant issues. One can always remove one wheel and re set the bike if any of those problems occur.

Front receivers in class 2 and 3 are available for just about any body on frame tow vehicle - all trucks and GM SUV's for sure.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Have had my bikes on the front for many years. Have never had even one issue. Much less dirt, dust, grime in the inner working parts of your bike. Especially if you sometimes travel dirt or gravel roads. I have too much invested in my bikes.
Grady C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #12

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Same here, my bikes have had no issues riding on front and they do not block the radiator.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #13

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
I carry a bike in front on my 4Runner. Carried on an ordinary bike rack mounted on a front receiver hitch (Curt) that I installed. I do make a point of tying my front license plate outside the bike so that it is very clearly visible. No problems with cooling. I think the key thing for me was a good strong front receiver hitch and a good bike rack.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote