Casita Exterior Care Tips? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2023, 03:22 PM   #1

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Casita
California
Casita Exterior Care Tips?

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a 2004 Casita single-axle trailer that needs some love. I'm new to this and have never owned nor cared for a fiberglass trailer before.

The exterior clear-coat seems to be worn off (it was powerwashed at one point) and it has lots of dirt and grime on it. Some areas are still shiny while others are dull white. I was thinking of warm soap and water, then Zep stripper (mixed with water) if needed, and then some clear coating on top like Stern to Bow. What do you all think of these? Any recommendations for the best detergents, clear coats, etc? Is waxing necessary? I know some people like to use boat wax.

For the interior, there's some mold on the plastic parts. I was thinking that Clorox bleach would do the trick. How does that sound?

Thanks all for your input.
baytrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 08:46 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The gel coat on my Scamp used to dust off, after a rain it was washing down in streaks and rubbed off on my fingers. Simply bad. Many people here recommended Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax - Pure Synthetic Polymer. I did not do the best job of applying it, but it looks pretty good from ten feet away, and most importantly, it has completely stopped the dusting and streaking. I started applying it on the roof, where I could practice and then did the sides. It is still good after two seasons. I would definitely recommend it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I would use Mold Control; it cleans up and kills mold and does not have the issues associated with bleach. Casitas usually have good gelcoat, lots of work but compound, polish and wax will give best results. I have run across a few trailers where floor wax was the solution. When compounding polishing and waxing use products with a white base. Red or blue colored products will tint your gelcoat if it is porous.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
STAY AWAY FROM FLOOR PRODUCTS!

Gelcoat requires a compounding, polish and sealer/wax to bring it back to life. No floor products will do that. They only provide a temporary shine that lays on top of the shell and requires stripping and recoating after a few years. It’s like painting pressure treated wood, it won’t hold up and you just create a maintenance problem.

Have it buffed with compound then waxed, and if you can do it yourself. It only requires a buffer, compound and some time. A cheap buffer can be had https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-10-A...6&gclsrc=3p.ds and there are many combination compound/polishing systems on the market. If the gelcoat cleans up nicely then compounding may not even be necessary and you can polish and wax by hand.

A good start would be a good wash with TSP (tri sodium phosphate) and a green scotch-brite pad, a rewash with a good car shampoo then asses it from there. A polish /sealer like Meguiars (which the Restoration System is excellent) then a good carnuba wax will do wonders for even poorly maintained gelcoat.

Just stay away from non fiberglass/gelcoat flooring products.
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/how-t...rv-fiberglass/
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:14 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 05 Casita
California
After cleaning up the gel coat, I would be interested in hearing any comments about the use of Aerogloss since it is non-abrasive.
JImL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #6

Name: Mick M
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Bring Back the Gel Coat shine

We purchased a 1995 Scamp 16 that had no shine and very chalky oxidation. The roof was spotted with black spots. I tried several methods to restore the clear coat with marginal results. This was over a period of 6 years. Never when with floor polish due to the long term removal mess.

Up until recently, the best was using a three step method of boat waxing that included individual products to clean, polish, and wax. This method took me nearly 18 hours. It did result in a pretty nice shine. Over the winter, the next year, the shine was nearly gone on the top half (above the belly band). Chalking had occurred and the roof was spotted again.

Early this year (April) I tried Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax. One step only applying with an orbital buffer. Took me 6 hours doing the entire trailer. The only prep work was washing first. The clear coat appeared very shinny. Used roughly a third of a 32 Oz. bottle.

I washed the trailer once a month and as of today (Mid November) it still is shinny and water beads well. I live in the Pacific NW and the weather and trees are tough on molding (spotting) and breaking down wax. Not sure that this is better than the three-step method but sure a lot easier with what appears to be the same results. I intend to do the same application next spring. A once-a-year application with a yearlong shine and protection seems to be a good return on my time.

BTW, I tried several polishes that I read others using but not a single one gave the shine or a full year protection of water beading. The M6332 was was purchased on Amazaon for around $26 for 32 oz. size.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #7

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
Once you get the shine you want wait a week and put on a ceramic coating . One of the spray on buff off. We Works great for 9-12 months and a yearly coating keeps you going.. been doing it on my boats and trailer for few years now. I know it’s all about the look but to me ceramic coating is there just to make my clean up easier. Spent my career in marine manufacturing.
Sammy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita