Casita Independence trailer history - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 05:38 PM   #1

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Casita Independence trailer history

Hello again to this community. I am looking at getting a Casita independence deluxe trailer and wonder how long they have been making this model? Also curious about the Liberty model. I am interested in the twin bed option in the casita and am curious if they might have also made a 16’ version.

Thanks for your input.

Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
2013 was the first year for the Indy. It was also first to have the new bath layout. I owned one of the first production units, and it did not have the lower cabinet front doors which made it really inconvenient to access the under-seat storage. I've owned both a Liberty and an Indy and I highly recommend the Liberty.
Indy issues: Floor space between the beds, with boots on I could not turn my feet around in the isle way. Also there is no floor storage area. Your table is very small. The seat/bed is so wide there is no back support when seated to eat at the table.
The Liberty is a much more flexible floor plan. We used a 4" Ikea full mattress and slept long ways in the bed. We installed a lagun bracket to support or tabletop. Just my opinion YMMV.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:15 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Independence beds are around 30” wide. Liberty “twins” are more like 22-23”, too narrow for comfortable sleep for most people.

One solution involves building extensions onto the Liberty benches to support wider mattresses. There’s some work and expense, but it provides a superior result in my opinion because the bed is partly cantilevered over the aisle, leaving more open space. That’s how Oliver does their twin bed model. It allows you to customize the width to suit your preferences (I’d probably opt for about 27-28”) and to use a better mattress than the thin factory ones. It’s also the only way to get twins in a 16’er, since the Independence was only offered on the 17’er.

Here’s a self-described “Independence” that’s actually a Liberty model modified for wider, permanent twin beds (actual current sale ad). Nicely done.
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...iler-excellent

Click image for larger version

Name:	Liberty Twin Mod.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	145928

For comparison, here's a stock photo of an Independence.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Independence.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	145929
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:30 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
Independence or Liberty

We visited the factory and really wanted an Independence because of the issue of crawling over each other getting in and out of bed in our previous trailers.
The wait is extremely long for a new one and lucked out and found a 2010 Liberty in pristine condition, we now realize the aisle would have been too small on an Independence (no floor storage) and now have the option to make the beds wider although we sleep great on the narrower beds.
I may eventually modify one side for myself and leave my wife's side alone since she is very comfortable on hers.
The Liberty is the perfect trailer for our needs, it took us a series of trailers to figure it out though.
David and Alice
Lafayette La
daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:32 PM   #5

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
We bought a new Independence in 14. I'm 6'3' and wear a size 12. Works well for us. I expect I could make any other model work aiso Do like what I have.
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita