Casita Trailer Cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Casita Trailer Cover

Has anybody bought the Casita Trailer cover? I just installed one on my Casita and it was easy to put on. I just got a price quote from Calmark, it was over $900. I will keep the Casita cover & replace it with another one when the time comes.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Casita Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Has anybody bought the Casita Trailer cover? I just installed one on my Casita and it was easy to put on. I just got a price quote from Calmark, it was over $900. I will keep the Casita cover & replace it with another one when the time comes.
I purchased my Casita Trailer Cover as part of my purchase of my 2019 SD 17. In September of 2019, I paid $199 for the cover.

This will be the third year of use of that cover. So far, it has worked well for me. I was amused at the instructions which call for the use of 2 people (that does work better), and for one of you to climb up on top of the trailer to install the cover.

For the first two years I put the cover on without any help and I definitely did not climb up on top of the trailer! I am too old, too heavy, and not going there for safety reasons.

I laid the cover out lengthwise along one side of the trailer. unzipped the rear panels, then I attached the sand bag provided to the front and back tie-down straps. I threw the bean bag over the trailer and used the straps to pull the cover up and over the trailer. Two bean bags would have worked even better. I used a long pole to clear the cover of obstacles on top of the trailer. Then used the bean bag to pull the straps under the trailer and completed the install by connecting them to the cover.

My one big criticism of the cover sold by Casita is that the zip-up panel for the trailer door access is located completely aft of the door. I made Casita aware of this error, but I don't know if they listened. To access the door, I unzip the zipper closest to the door, release the strap holding the cover down by the door, and then pull the door area flap up and slightly over the awning case to hold it out of the way while I am using the door. If you do not have the awning, then holding the flap out of the way may be a problem.

The cover is not long enough to also cover the propane tanks at the front. If that is considered necessary, then a small tarp could be used for the tongue of the trailer.

I am definitely with you that $900 is an excessive amount to pay for a cover. I believe the cover from Casita was made in China. Getting one in the current environment may be challenge.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #3

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Talking

I purchased one while visiting the Casita store about 4 years ago. After a year or so, I began to notice what looked like small tears. Closer inspections showed small insects eating very small holes in it. Sprayed with insecticide from time to time. It lasted almost 3 years and began to get small tears and a rain storm finally shredded it. Have not replaced as yet. Did order a Calmark and it was large enough to fit a 25 footer or maybe more. Returned it. I think the Casita cover is just a generic with their logo. My door panels also did not come close to aligning up. I think at the time it was a little over $300, plus tax of course. I used a broom to walk it over the trailer.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #4

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Casita Cover

I was able to purchase a van cover last summer for $250.00 that fits very well as far as width and length. It is about 12 inches short an the sides. It comes down to the top of the wheel wells. I am very pleased with what I got for the price.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Does your Casita have an AC unit on the top? I wonder if your ability to put the cover on by yourself is only possible without an AC unit on the roof.

Thanks
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Also, I wonder if anyone has had success using only a large retangular tarp as a cover? I know it might be more trouble to put on and off, maybe requiring ropes around the trailer to hold the tarp in place...but it could cost much less and would work if the trailer is to be stored and not accessed for months at a time.

Comments???
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Putting a cover on with an A/C unit present

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
Does your Casita have an AC unit on the top? I wonder if your ability to put the cover on by yourself is only possible without an AC unit on the roof.

Thanks
Yes, my Casita has the Coleman A/C unit. I use a pole to lift the cover up over the A/C unit, the MaxxAir Fan, and the vents from the front bath while pulling on the tie-down straps to pull the cover over the trailer. It all works well. It does go faster when there are two or three people, but doing it solo will easily get the job done. It just takes a little longer.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Casita Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoepner View Post
I was able to purchase a van cover last summer for $250.00 that fits very well as far as width and length. It is about 12 inches short an the sides. It comes down to the top of the wheel wells. I am very pleased with what I got for the price.
I purchased a Dodge Van Cover and then installed a couple of rope tie downs.
There is an AC and a Solar panel under that cover.
I installed it by myself.
Cost was $149.95
Attached Thumbnails
Casita Cover.jpg  
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:22 PM   #9

Virginia
This is the cover Casita uses. It has a 3-year warranty. It is lightweight & it was easy to put on. It is easy to open the door. $900 is too much for a cover.

https://classicaccessories.com/over-...-trailer-cover
Attached Thumbnails
2ed17785bf1340633f12cadb6d3dcd1effed0e3bc38057c398ba9663df4a95f6.jpeg  
Old 10-26-2021, 08:35 PM   #10

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
$900 for a Calmark? They were about $400 when we got our Casita, and I thought that was too much. Fortunately, I was able to get a used one from a gentleman in Texas, via the Casita Forum I think, for $75. He said his Casita was now under a roof, so he didn't need it.

I've now ordered a carport/canopy for $300 (see the thread HERE), which I'm hoping will survive our New England winter.

Plan to keep the Calmark, though, in case the canopy fails.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:50 AM   #11

Virginia
Price for CalMark - Sticker Shock

CalMark Covers are designed for continuous outdoor exposure in ALL weather conditions.
We know with confidence, that you will be happy with the quality, custom fit and longevity of the cover we will make for you from WeatherMax®
If you would still like to have your cover made from Sunbrella® fabric, we can put you on a waitlist for later in the year and contact you when our supply chain has caught up.

FAST QUOTE ESTIMATE:

Based on the 2019 Casita 17 Travel Trailer your estimated cover cost should be:

Estimated CalMark Cover Quote: $830.00 (+ Plus S & H )
Your cover includes 1 zipper door entry.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #12

Virginia
My Casita Cover
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita Front View.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	143936
Old 10-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #13

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
CalMark Covers are designed for continuous outdoor exposure in ALL weather conditions.
We know with confidence, that you will be happy with the quality, custom fit and longevity of the cover we will make for you from WeatherMax®
If you would still like to have your cover made from Sunbrella® fabric, we can put you on a waitlist for later in the year and contact you when our supply chain has caught up.

FAST QUOTE ESTIMATE:

Based on the 2019 Casita 17 Travel Trailer your estimated cover cost should be:

Estimated CalMark Cover Quote: $830.00 (+ Plus S & H )
Your cover includes 1 zipper door entry.

CalMark cover on Casita Spirit Deluxe at our Arizona house. Had it for years and it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0401.jpg  
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #14

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
$900 is too much for a cover.
To be accurate, though it may be too much in your opinion, many owners are perfectly happy with Calmark covers. If the covers Casita sells turn out to be reasonably durable, that's great. Always good to have alternatives.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #15

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Casita Cover

Not sure of the make but I did buy and use one for a while. a picture here shows my ultimate solution. My 17SD has an awning and AC unit as well as a cover for the roof fan. Getting the cover on and off was not that much of an issue. The awning created a holding area for rain and leaves. If I had to use it again I would save some foam packing to place behind the awning and create a runoff as I had to be quick pulling it off to avoid a cold shower. I still have the cover and will probably let someone have it cheap at the January rally.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00907.JPG  
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #16

Virginia
Looks nice.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #17

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDan View Post
Not sure of the make but I did buy and use one for a while. a picture here shows my ultimate solution. My 17SD has an awning and AC unit as well as a cover for the roof fan. Getting the cover on and off was not that much of an issue. The awning created a holding area for rain and leaves. If I had to use it again I would save some foam packing to place behind the awning and create a runoff as I had to be quick pulling it off to avoid a cold shower. I still have the cover and will probably let someone have it cheap at the January rally.
I have an HOA so can't have one. Wish I could. Yours look nice.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:06 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: enjoying our 17ft Casita
Virginia
Casita Cover - Cover Giant

Casita Trailer Covers " Egg" Cover Giant

We bought the cover for our 17ft Independence in 2016 and it has worked like a charm for us here in Virginia

much more economical than the CALMARK

check out the website

Casita Trailer Covers " Egg" Cover Giant
ddnemitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:02 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
Our trailer is a Casita 17SD. We have owned a Calmark Cover for 11 years now, same age as our Casita. We have cleaned the cover twice over the years and used 303 fabric protectant to restore water repellency. We would lay it out on our driveway and scrub it with brushes, laundry soap and oxy clean (our cover is filthy from trees and power lines), but this time I just didn't think I had enough elbow grease left in me, so we bought a Classic Accessories Cover (not with Casita logo on it). We bought the larger size because we wanted to make sure we could cover the spare which is mounted to the rear bumper and not the back of our Casita and also cover the electric tongue jack. It covers both of those with a little room to spare.
This is the one we got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This was made to fit a trailer 13-16 ft long. It is a baggy fit on our 17SD, but the door opens almost perfectly at the zippered opening and it covers all the way down on the body.

Another consideration in getting the larger cover is ease of installation on the trailer without ripping it or splitting the seams.

I see Amazon lists this cover as being out of stock. I'm glad we bought ours in August.
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:03 AM   #20

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Someone may want that old Calmark if you still have it.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita