Caulk on the belly band? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #41

Name: Val
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
redbarron55- sorry I’m a real newbie here...by chasing the leak do you have to pull back the rat fur to find the source? I guess I’m wondering exactly how you chase it. Thanks in advance!
vallieweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #42

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallieweck View Post
redbarron55- sorry I’m a real newbie here...by chasing the leak do you have to pull back the rat fur to find the source? I guess I’m wondering exactly how you chase it. Thanks in advance!
I would not do that, but rather (if it is located below the bellyband line) carefully inspect the caulking on the top of the band (it can take just a little gap) and re calk.
Perhaps run water from the hose over the band to see if it keeps leaking (I guess you might have to get it dry first).
If I am looking at the picture right the leak is showing up under the band perhaps under something like a shelf.
I don't think I would pull the rat fur down, but if I were mad enough I would do it.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #43

Name: Val
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
The water starts at the lip that the bench for the sofa sits on. The belly band is a good foot or more above that. Guess it could be coming from there? But it seems it would be wet all the way up to there? I guess I’ll start by recaulking that seam and see what happens!!
vallieweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #44

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Val, I agree that the best course of action is to seal between the top of the center band C-channel and the fiberglass. I would clean this seam, then seal all the way around the camper, including all of the rivets/screws driven into the C-channel. Then allow the sealant to dry thoroughly, then leak test again with a garden hose directed at the center band all the way around the camper. At that point, if it still leaks there are two possibilities: either there is a gap in the new sealant, or the source of the leak is higher (window frame, door frame, curtain bracket rivets, roof vent, etc).
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #45

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
When I removed my belly band, I was interested in maintaining the look of my Trillium with the belly band. I didn't have the time or inclination at this point to glass it all in ( following David Tilston's efforts ), so I elected to fill the gap without cutting out the metal plates that were there to hold the rivets of the band. The belly band removed I filled the gap between the two halves, outside, with the West System G/flex 655 Thickened. It's an epoxy adhesive that sets like resin. Follow the directions carefully and apply with discretion. Once gap was filled and cured. I drilled pilot holes for stainless screws to hold the belly band on as that's what was there to begin with ( it's a 46 year old trailer ) and wrapped the screws in butyl tape before installing them and for good measure butyl tape in the holes as well.
No leaks and the trailer still looks original. First full season and all is well.
Larry Engelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #46

Name: Blayne
Trailer: Beachcomber
British Columbia
Willis,

I am replacing my bellyband on my Beachcomber TM15. I was going to use Butyl tape under the top piece of the band and caulk top and bottom of the band. How did you end-up completing yours and how has it turned out?
Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #47

Florida
Personally I think that sealing the top is necessary, but if water somehow got past the pop rivets and the caulking, the lack of a seal along the bottom would be a good thing so that the water can get out along the outside and not collect and find it's way inside.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #48

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IF your Scamp was thoroughly sealed from the inside, you wouldn't need to caulk the belly band. THAT should be just just used to keep dirt/dust and twigs from getting between the band and the body. Strictly decorative to keep the area clean. Are you certain your leak is happening there or maybe at a rivet closer to the roof? OR maybe a window? Water can run a long way...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #49

Florida
And you are right Donna, that is a big IF.
The way the two halves are bonded with the mat and rolled out to bond there is a vee between the halves, sealed with the fiberglass.
This channel will fill and carry water from where ever there is a small leak letting water in it will flow until it finds a small leak to let it run into the camper.
Why do I know? Easy. I chased a leak just like that half way around the front of my Scamp.
Of course if everything is sealed as you say there is no leak, but if water gets into the channel and it freezes then welcome to leak city.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #50

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
And you are right Donna, that is a big IF.
The way the two halves are bonded with the mat and rolled out to bond there is a vee between the halves, sealed with the fiberglass.
This channel will fill and carry water from where ever there is a small leak letting water in it will flow until it finds a small leak to let it run into the camper.
Why do I know? Easy. I chased a leak just like that half way around the front of my Scamp.
Of course if everything is sealed as you say there is no leak, but if water gets into the channel and it freezes then welcome to leak city.
Not a "big if"at all. the top and bottom halves are bonded together into one piece. The bellyband is cosmetic to avoid the need to blend and gelcoat the seam on the outside. The silicone at the top of the bellyband is to prevent blackstreaking from the aluminum band when water passes under it and runs down the outside of the bottom half of the trailer.
The bellyband is not and should not be sealed along its bottom side.
Upon review I see this post is pretty much redundant to my previous post,but upon reflection I have decided it could stand reiteration.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #51

Florida
The top and bottom halves are bonded together, but the lip has a radius on the inside and the chopper gun blows fibers over the seam and the fabricators roll it into contact with those top and bottom, but they leave a gap (that Vee I mentioned).
It may or may not be filled, but mostly it is not.
Holes are drilled through the lip for attaching the belly band leaving at least one way for the water to get in.
That vee could conceivably be open from the front of the door all the way around the trailer to the back of the door. Or it could be completely filled. Or have filled and open spots. If water gets in (and it does) if there is a path for the water to get into the trailer it will and if there is any in the gap when if freezes then it will make a crack of it's own.
Many have chased leaks all around the trailer so you know it CAN be a problem.
I had a leak in front of the door getting the closet floor wet.
It was a spot one could hardly see where the caulking was not done right (by me!) that let the water get in and I know it was in that vee because I stripped off the Ensolite (There) and tracked it down to there specifically.