Started doing some maintenance this spring on caulking removal and wanted to share some information that might help make this a little easier for others.
The caulking around the belly band of my Scamp
was thick, moldy, cracked, and silicon material. I started the removal using a plastic putty knife and a bone tool. This was very slow and the material came off in chunks. It was messy.
I decided to look for a better method and found a 3 in 1 Caulking removal tool on Ebay ($7).
This worked great at cleanly removing nearly all of the caulk in a single pass. I removed all of the caulk in about 40 minutes on a Scamp
16. I found that a slow and steady pull did the trick and removed the caulk in a long strip pieces.
Once all the silicon caulk was removed, I wiped the area with alcohol then taped the edges with painter's tape to provide a clean edge. This took about 1/2 hour to complete. A 1/2 x1/2 inch stick was used as a spacer-guide to keep the tape lines evenly spaced.
I used Pro Flex RV sealant. It took one and 1/2 10 oz. tubes. ($15). Had to remove the tape quickly as the sealant set up fast.
Total time for this job was around 2 hours. (This is not counting the time spent attempting to remove about 12 inches with the putty and bone tool). Hope this is helpful.